Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: "Get creative with PC parts" contest entry thread

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am

Perhaps some kind soul in the US would be willing to re-ship it for you? Not sure if TR staff would be OK with that or not; I don't know if it is a international shipping cost issue or something else (e.g. foreign regulations regarding contests of this type).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 am

njoydesign - welcome to the forums... and great work on an original piece of crafting.

I've always wondered about those rules if they are based on US rules, or if it's just that many sites just dont want to deal with the various rules that might crop up in various countries.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 am

just brew it! wrote:
Perhaps some kind soul in the US would be willing to re-ship it for you? Not sure if TR staff would be OK with that or not; I don't know if it is a international shipping cost issue or something else (e.g. foreign regulations regarding contests of this type).

European Value-Added Tax is the one that's going to screw things over if someone tried to make a shipment over. You'd be looking at about $100 just for the VAT, and then another $100+ for the shipping cost due to the case.

njoydesign
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Thank you guys for chiming in, I'm glad you liked the head))

Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying for shipment in case I win (especially if maybe someone was interested in the case, I would gladly swap it for a mobo, or cpu, or ram... anything smaller/lighter ;)) I'm sure we should be able to come to an amicable solution.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, it's up to Cyril/Damage/Inkling whether you're eligible or not. I'm just a lowly forum Admin (and far too occasional blogger)! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Obviously I'm biased about who should win ( :wink: ) but that said I'm guessing the winner being from the US or Canada has more to do with the contest being sponsored by NewEgg than anything related to shipping.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm sure Adam/Inking will be more than happy to clue us in this weekend. Wonder if his Belgian beer-loving brother is making a return appearance?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:02 pm

njoydesign wrote:

This is very sad this contest is only for US and CAN residents, there was no mention of it in the original article. A possible win of a GFX and a case would really really help me right now to build a new workstation that I need so much but don't have the money to spend... :'(

A lot of the times there are a lot of other factors going on. For example, here in Canada, there is a province "Quebec" that is always excluded due to their rules for contests, so many companies find it easier to just write "except Quebec".

For UK, I imagine shipping and taxes may be a major hindrance.

That being said, these entries are all really really good. Congrats to everyone!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Loch Ness Monster
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the contest!

Here's my creation!

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:12 pm

sis_of_fish wrote:
Everyone, Scuzzy and Zip Zip are pleased to make your acquaintance!
(Zip Zip is the dog, Scuzzy is the robot guy.)

Aah, there's something beautiful about a bot and his dog ;)

I raided my bro's dusty old computer parts for all their pieces. The only non-computer components are 4 small zip ties, and a stick of hot glue. And yes, they're both free-standing :)
Thanks for the opportunity to make my new friends!

I love that what is scuzzy looking at to the left??? :) Also is poor scuzzy deaf? One blue and one green eye usually means a dog is deaf "in most cases" wonder if it effects mini robots in the same way :)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

NewfieBullet
Gerbil

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Here's my entry

NoahC
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:03 am

Here's my SATA Hand. Made from 100% hard drive parts. No glue required! Between the cable tension and all the magnets, you can almost pick it up as is.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:17 am

Awesome! Things are getting serious now! :D

rookiebeotch
Gerbil

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 am

"3 Warriors"

It should be named "2.75 Warriors". My gunslinger is missing some legs. It was originally going to be "3 Warriors versus the Kraken" but its too late now. My old G11's silicone nipple dome layer would have made excellent tentacles for the kraken.

I am disappointed in the image quality. I have 5 CFLs lighting the figures and my old camera's ISO is still grainy. My camera's flash would blind itself on the shiny bits of the figures so flash is even worse in detail. The 800 pixel thing is not helping.

Time spent: All afternoon and night until now.
Tools used: Dremel. Glue gun. Screwdrivers. Razors. Pliers. Scissors.
Beers drank during build: only 2.
Non-PC part material included in the build: 3 brass clothes hangers and hot glue.
Number of details viewers will miss because of bad image quality: many.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:22 am

Another really cool one! 8) I'm hoping to see more detailed pictures of these after the contest is over and the one photo restriction is lifted.

swkerr
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

Can't stop him from Gaming.