What I need in a tablet

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

What I need in a tablet

Postposted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 am

My biggest knock against them is that, at least in the early days, their input methods were limited too much to touch and their application base was limited by the whim of whoever approved available apps. I wanted a Windows-based tablet that I could connect a keyboard and mouse to and be able to write a program to do whatever little task I needed done, and run it right then and there without having to jump through hoops. I got the distinct impression that this was impossible with iOS and Android. Windows 8 tablets are a step in the right direction, but is my impression still correct about iOS and Android?

tl;dr -- to what extent can you write a program for a tablet OS and run it on your tablet that instant, the same way one would write their own program on a desktop OS?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: What I need in a tablet

Postposted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 am

FireGryphon wrote:My biggest knock against them is that, at least in the early days, their input methods were limited too much to touch and their application base was limited by the whim of whoever approved available apps. I wanted a Windows-based tablet that I could connect a keyboard and mouse to and be able to write a program to do whatever little task I needed done, and run it right then and there without having to jump through hoops. I got the distinct impression that this was impossible with iOS and Android. Windows 8 tablets are a step in the right direction, but is my impression still correct about iOS and Android?

tl;dr -- to what extent can you write a program for a tablet OS and run it on your tablet that instant, the same way one would write their own program on a desktop OS?

Pretty sure you need a PC go-between your iOS or Android device to code, compile, install & run programs.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:48 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oidc&hl=en (I haven't used it, though.)

And Android (since 3.0) has had decent support for Bluetooth mice and keyboards (they act a bit strange due to the underlying UI assumptions, but ultimately they do work).

iOS can't do self-hosting development, though.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I have AIDE installed on my Nexus 7 (2013). That is Android development on Android. Android apps can be installed from anywhere. I just installed Amazon's Appstore app on it last night, which is only available for download from Amazon's website. An Apple Bluetooth mouse works fine with it. The Apple Bluetooth keyboard I've tried repeats keys. It supports USB peripherals or Displayport output through its microUSB port. It is very close to being the only computer I need. The screen is awesome, like the best screen ever--the touch part of it not so much.

The one main thing I have found with my week or so of Nexus 7 ownership is pretty much all the big free Android apps are useless. Chrome and normal websites (not mobile versions) are superior.
Bombadil
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 am

That's why they're free. :)

iOS is too locked down to do development or anything else particularly interesting on it. Android can indeed be compiled on Android, but I've never done it and I suspect it would be an exercise in frustration. On the plus side, Eclipse and the SDKs are all cross-platform so they'll run on whatever hardware you do have. The MS Surface Pro is x86 so you can do development on it, but the Surface RT is a bad joke so don't waste time even thinking about it (or WinRT for that matter).

Despite the hype surrounding them, tablets are not a one size fits all solution and the form factor and usage flow simply don't lend themselves to tasks like coding.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Return to The Back Porch