CNN Headline: Steve Balmer to retire...Stock Surges

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

CNN Headline: Steve Balmer to retire...Stock Surges

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 am

More properly, it's the breaking news banner at the top of the site and it reads (in full)

"Microsoft says CEO Steve Balmer will retire within 12 months. No successor named. Stock surges."

AHAHAHAHAHAAH. No really, market, tell us how you really feel. :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted
gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: CNN Headline: Steve Balmer to retire...Stock Surges

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 am

Yea, the news are all over the web... Good riddance.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am

Good bye (& good riddance), Monkey Boy. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 am

Seen on /.: "I hear that Dell are organising a 21 chair salute."

I suppose we have at least one thing to thank him for though. Without him, I don't think Open Source would've achieved the kind of market penetration it has in the server space.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 am

looks like win8 finally did it
LocalCitizen
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am

It's not surprising that the stock price has gone up. Any change in leadership was bound to help boost the stock price. Though whether this will be good for the company long term will depend on who they bring in. Given how many areas Microsoft is involved in it won't be easy to find a good fit.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 am

Richard Stallman to take over.....
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 am

LocalCitizen wrote:looks like win8 finally did it

Not really, Windows 8's lackluster public response was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Microsoft hasn't been making any significant strives in recent years and has been getting increased pressure from various competitors.

I believe Steve Balmer's retire wasn't entirely voluntary. He probably was under a ton of pressure from the major shareholders for not yielding the desire results. At his point, Steve Balmer is cutting his losses and going out with a golden parachute rather than getting fired and going out with a much lighter severance package.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am

Krogoth wrote:

Not really, Windows 8's lackluster public response was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Umm... isn't that essentially what LocalCitizen said? :roll:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 am

OK, that's a classic headline.

Glad he's going.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:45 am

are they taking applications? i have a plan. kill winRT, kill metro...profit?
ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

Whatever it takes to get him out, it was worth it. Now MS will bring in one of a few types of replacement:

Straight replacement: orangutan trained to heave chairs and screech "developers developers" at high pitch while sweating profusely.

Mobile oriented: Someone who will back Windows Phone 100%, continuing the death spiral of Windows on the desktop.

Office oriented: Will release WIndows 7.1, de-emphasize 8, and attempt to patch up the collapsing castle of Windows + Office on the enterprise desktop.

None of these will see MS continuing to grow and assimilate. MS needs a Borg Queen right about now, and a good and effective one at that, not the one from First Contact.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

I'm such a dumbass for failing to buy stock when I read that Balmer was orchestrating a massive internal reshuffle at Microsoft.
At that point I already knew that his face had been put on all the bad decisions regarding Microsoft's pursuit of the mobile space to the detriment of Desktop usability. There are plenty of unsubstantiated reports coming from within Microsoft that say he's not wanted, too....

• The failure of RT
  • The total dominance of Apple and Adroid in the mobile space
  • The lack of a desktop OS that people actually like
  • I'm not even going to *start* listing MS Office complains from users....

They really can't get much worse, can they?
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 am

Bugs Bunny
What a maroon!

See ya Steve. Thanks for the good laughs (at your expense).
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:They really can't get much worse, can they?

What's Mr. Wizard say when we ask open questions, kids? Let's make an experiment and find out!
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

YAY! Although word of caution to the overly optimistic, Ballmer was one of many. Every one of his crony yes men responsible for w8 needs to go too, especially Kaneko. Getting rid of the front man is good pr, but Microsoft needs to completely change direction with new people to really fix things.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Not really, Windows 8's lackluster public response was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Umm... isn't that essentially what LocalCitizen said? :roll:

He was suggesting that Windows 8 was the single cause of this, when it was really just part of a series of lackluster product launches and failures.

Windows 8/Office 12 biggest problem was they offer nothing compelling to the table and enterprise crowd had almost no reason to switch it to them. It was Microsoft's panic and belated response to Apple and Google's recent traction into the portable market. What is hilarious about this is that Microsoft tried going into the tablet market back almost a decade ago. Well before Google and Apple got into it. However, it had failed since tables back then were too costly, slow and limited to be worth it.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm

At work right now, everyone is running off my personal volume license for Office 2007. Very few realize it's not the current version, and of those, fewer care, and really no one can make a case for needing 2010 or 2013 over 2007. Further, if it weren't for the DOC/DOCX clustermug, the same could be said of Office 2003 or XP. Aside from the ribbon, bastard child of focus groups, Office hasn't made any really meaningful changes in 10+ years.

THAT is what's killing Office sales.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Forge wrote:At work right now, everyone is running off my personal volume license for Office 2007. Very few realize it's not the current version, and of those, fewer care, and really no one can make a case for needing 2010 or 2013 over 2007. Further, if it weren't for the DOC/DOCX clustermug, the same could be said of Office 2003 or XP. Aside from the ribbon, bastard child of focus groups, Office hasn't made any really meaningful changes in 10+ years.

Because office production software reached a plateau back in early and mid-90s, ever since then office suites were only updating to comply with and support newer standards and file formats.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:55 pm

axeman wrote:You mean how Excel opens every file within the same Window, even though I haven't talked to a single user that actually likes it that way, for what, a decade? Sure you can open two instances of Excel to get two separate windows, but then you can only copy and paste values, not formulas, so it's pretty much useless unless you are just reviewing something. I guess they have too many developers working on the next version of Windows Phone that no one will buy to be bothered actually improving Office at this point, because, let's face it, the enterprise customers will buy whatever crap they churn out for the next version of Office.

Yeah, that's an annoyance - but it's relatively easy to work around:

Create a batch file with following content:
Code: Select all
START "" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" %1

Replace the folder path as needed if it differs for your machine.

Save the file with a name that makes sense - for example "LaunchExcel.bat" - and then try double clicking the batch file... If you made it correctly, it should open Excel.

Set up Excel documents to be opened with this batch file - right click any Excel document -> Open with -> Choose default program -> find and select "LaunchExcel.bat" wherever you happened to save it.

If you use different file types (.xls, xlsm) you need to do that for each of the types you want to open this way.

Once the files are associated with the batch file, when you open them they should open a new instance of Excel.

If for whatever reason you want to open more than one file in the same window, you can right click and do Open With and choose Excel, and they will open the normal way.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:54 pm

cphite wrote:
axeman wrote:You mean how Excel opens every file within the same Window, even though I haven't talked to a single user that actually likes it that way, for what, a decade? Sure you can open two instances of Excel to get two separate windows, but then you can only copy and paste values, not formulas, so it's pretty much useless unless you are just reviewing something. I guess they have too many developers working on the next version of Windows Phone that no one will buy to be bothered actually improving Office at this point, because, let's face it, the enterprise customers will buy whatever crap they churn out for the next version of Office.

Yeah, that's an annoyance - but it's relatively easy to work around:

Create a batch file with following content:
Code: Select all
START "" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" %1

Replace the folder path as needed if it differs for your machine.

Save the file with a name that makes sense - for example "LaunchExcel.bat" - and then try double clicking the batch file... If you made it correctly, it should open Excel.

Set up Excel documents to be opened with this batch file - right click any Excel document -> Open with -> Choose default program -> find and select "LaunchExcel.bat" wherever you happened to save it.

If you use different file types (.xls, xlsm) you need to do that for each of the types you want to open this way.

Once the files are associated with the batch file, when you open them they should open a new instance of Excel.

If for whatever reason you want to open more than one file in the same window, you can right click and do Open With and choose Excel, and they will open the normal way.

Well, you put "relatively" in there, so I can't bash on the difficulty.... But how am I deploying this to 50+ users?
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Forge wrote:Well, you put "relatively" in there, so I can't bash on the difficulty.... But how am I deploying this to 50+ users?

Use a virus?
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:40 pm

If they're all on Windows and all on the same domain...you can just push it as an update.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:44 am

Forge wrote:Aside from the ribbon, bastard child of focus groups

A little note here: despite the obvious pain that comes with a major UI change, the ribbon, as far as I'm concerned, made the Office interface actually start making real sense. Because up to that point, if you go back and look, there were many actions and options that were in menus and places where they didn't belong, and a great deal of other things took many more clicks to get to.

A lot of people have said that Office 2003's UI was really good but going back and forth between it and 2007, no. Not. Nope.

Of course, the bit about 2010/2013 not bringing anything new over 2007 is spot on. In fact, I even prefer 2007 because the UI isn't the monochromatic hard-to-distinguish crap that's now coming from Redmond, Google (GMail), and soon, Cupertino - with iOS 7.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 am

just brew it! wrote:Seen on /.: "I hear that Dell are organising a 21 chair salute."

I suppose we have at least one thing to thank him for though. Without him, I don't think Open Source would've achieved the kind of market penetration it has in the server space.

He he he... OUCH!
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am

Forge wrote:At work right now, everyone is running off my personal volume license for Office 2007. Very few realize it's not the current version, and of those, fewer care, and really no one can make a case for needing 2010 or 2013 over 2007. Further, if it weren't for the DOC/DOCX clustermug, the same could be said of Office 2003 or XP. Aside from the ribbon, bastard child of focus groups, Office hasn't made any really meaningful changes in 10+ years.

Forge, I use Excel Launcher...
http://download.cnet.com/Excel-Launcher ... 03083.html

Works with every version of excell I've ever used it for. 2000, xp, 2003, 2010.

Since it is an installable it should be easy to push. :D
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:52 am

morphine wrote:
Forge wrote:Aside from the ribbon, bastard child of focus groups

A little note here: despite the obvious pain that comes with a major UI change, the ribbon, as far as I'm concerned, made the Office interface actually start making real sense.

I actually think the Ribbon is a good idea overall. What i don't like is that, along with the introduction of the ribbon, were context-sensitive tabs on the ribbon that only appear when certain things are done, such as search options that only appear once you start a search, or options like track changes that only appear when you're in a review mode.

People can't explore and learn an interface if it's not all there; Same fundamental problem with "hidden" things in W8 like the invisible start button/hot corners and the stupid charm bar that appears only on mouseover.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:I actually think the Ribbon is a good idea overall. What i don't like is that, along with the introduction of the ribbon, were context-sensitive tabs on the ribbon that only appear when certain things are done, such as search options that only appear once you start a search, or options like track changes that only appear when you're in a review mode.

People can't explore and learn an interface if it's not all there; Same fundamental problem with "hidden" things in W8 like the invisible start button/hot corners and the stupid charm bar that appears only on mouseover.

That's a tough tradeoff to get right. If the main interface is too cluttered you can easily confuse/overwhelm new users. But I agree, W8 seems to go too far in the other direction; IMO it all comes back to the "one UI to rule them all" philosophy. The assumption that the same UI is ideal for desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones is fundamentally flawed.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:That's a tough tradeoff to get right. If the main interface is too cluttered you can easily confuse/overwhelm new users. But I agree, W8 seems to go too far in the other direction; IMO it all comes back to the "one UI to rule them all" philosophy. The assumption that the same UI is ideal for desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones is fundamentally flawed.

Device convergence is an unstoppable force at this point. So regardless of the pitfalls you either build for it or you go out of business. There is an iterative march that will eventually get more right than wrong, but you can't go back. Even some Linux distributions can see this future.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:54 pm

axeman wrote:You mean how Excel opens every file within the same Window, even though I haven't talked to a single user that actually likes it that way, for what, a decade? Sure you can open two instances of Excel to get two separate windows, but then you can only copy and paste values, not formulas...

i did not realize that. i mean, wow, i did not realize that.

i did an experiment and discovered more stupidity -- put the sheet in formula view (ctrl - backquote), copy the formula, and paste in notepad, notepad show the formula. paste the same thing in another excel window, it's still the value.WOW!

thanks axeman for pointing it out. i need to go back and review some of my work.
LocalCitizen
Gerbil

Next

Return to The Back Porch