Technology fail...

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Technology fail...

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 am

This is one of those rants about good tech with bad implementation...

So I have a nice car, an Infiniti G37s. Yesterday morning I was introduced to the tire pressure monitoring system. I've had the car two and a half years and for the first time, it went off. Why is it, when I have a full graphic display in the guage cluster on which they display "Check tire pressure." can they not tell me which tire triggered the warning? Would it really be that much trouble? Same goes for the check engine light. If it comes on, give me a basic english description of why it is one. If it is a vacuum leak in the emissions control, tell me to check the gas cap. If the O2 sensor is out of range, tell me to check the O2 sensor.

Now, I realize that for the check engine sensor an argument can be made that 95% of the driving public wouldn't understand even the basic english description and it cause more problems than it help. Plus, it would cut back on the $100 scan fee the dealership can charge. But, for the tire pressure sensore, really?

</rant>

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Technology fail...

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 am

Simplification, that's what many car manufacturers are trying to do... On certain BMW models the TPMS used to show the individual wheel that was leaking air but then they actually reprogrammed the system on later models to just show the generic "tire pressure is low" message and all 4 "wheels" being colored "red" on the iDrive display even if only one wheel was leaking air... Luckily some manufacturers still do it properly.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 am

They really should have "basic" and "expert" modes, just like a lot of other software.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:57 am

Saying it's a technology fail is going too far, it's more like technology used in a bad way on purpose.

Like you said, they want to get money from the ignorant public for every stupid reason they can think of, otherwise they wouldn't use such generic errors.

A case could also be made that they don't include all these features since it would cost more, but the average person won't investigate to find out how much more it would really cost and they just take their word for it.
Last edited by Arclight on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am

Well, since TPMS became a Federal mandate in the aftermath of the Ford Explorer exploding tires problem of 2000, the automakers are simply responding rationally and adding the mandated systems at the lowest possible cost to them.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 am

Yeah, but that doesn't cover the case where it could show each tire individually and later got updated to not do that.

My Charger/mercedes parts shows each individual tire. It sometimes freaks out and forgets which tire is where, though, but that's pretty rare. And it takes some time after a tire rotation before it knows where each tire is.

I think the technology is sound but the UI is crap in cases like the OP. Like, the Charger has this tiny LCD in the dashboard for the generic car UI for tire pressure and that stuff but it also has a 9" touchscreen. It'd be nice if there were an option to get the oil temp and stuff pumped over to the touchscreen, especially since it's already getting a feed from the car bus to know when I'm in park, when I'm reversing, and my speed. Just... go further and let me get the GOOD stuff there, too!
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 am

My '13 Silverado, shows all kind of info. Individual tire pressure, gallons used, Average MPG, Range , Trans Temp, and a bunch of other stuff. They could easily show what code the computers throwing, but instead there is just and idiot light. Even when I hook up a ODB reader it's still just a code that I have to google... that could be my reader though.. I wonder if OnStar can tell what the problem is or if they get the same diagnostic info I do on the screen. In any case the manufacturer doesn't want anyone working on it but the dealer. They are in the business to make money, giving free info that says tighten your gas cap would cost them..
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!
DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 am

Captain Ned wrote:Well, since TPMS became a Federal mandate in the aftermath of the Ford Explorer exploding tires problem of 2000, the automakers are simply responding rationally and adding the mandated systems at the lowest possible cost to them.

Actually the real reason it became a mandate is fuel economy.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:24 am

Pville_Piper wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:Well, since TPMS became a Federal mandate in the aftermath of the Ford Explorer exploding tires problem of 2000, the automakers are simply responding rationally and adding the mandated systems at the lowest possible cost to them.

Actually the real reason it became a mandate is fuel economy.

No. TREAD Act has nothing to do with fuel economy.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:41 am

I am betting it is dumbed down for liability reasons. Force the user to go to the expert to defer liability from the manufacturer to the garage mechanic when the user changes the wrong tire when they cannot tell their left from their right, or rotated the tires themselves and screwed up the orientation in relation to what the computer expects.

On my car, the ID goes with the tire. They have to "recalibrate" the sensors if they rotate the tires, and that costs money.
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am

Congress has given statutory authority to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (created by an act of congress, the “Highway Safety Act of 1970“), to ensure the safety of our highways and in the usage of motor vehicles.

Similar groups of law dealing with a particular subject are grouped together, or codified into larger tomes in order to aid in the prompt administration of the law.

Under an uncodified provision, congress grants statutory authority to the secretary of the NHTSA to do the following:

The so called Tread Act under section 11, parts a, b, and c to propose rules after studies are done (rulemaking) to guarantee the safety of
1- tire labeling-
2- Inflation levels and load limits
3- Tire Pressure warning

So, basically, this is what happens.

Congress give statutory authority for an executive branch to do something, they give them the overall purpose, and let the individual agency do rulemaking and pass regulation within their statutory powers. The so called “forth branch of our government”, the myriad of agency regulations.

If you go to their website, you will read about these proposed rules, the ones that are adopted, and denied. And so forth.

Forgive me for such informal citing for this is not serious research, my spelling and grammar. Just took five minutes of my time.

Hope it enriches you just a bit.
uni-mitation
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 am

If you want to get codes read for free, you can always go to autozone, they will even print them up for you. Shameless company plug :wink:
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Early TPMS had individual receivers and transponders for each wheel and were for the most part on high line vehicles. Later models dropped the added expense of having individual receivers and went with a "dumb" central receiver. The newer high line systems determine position based on rotational direction and more or less guess front or rear, based on pressure increase they make a more final determination. Most vehicles don't have positioning because the receiver with the positioning logic has a marginally higher cost than the dumb receiver.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 pm

2012 BMW M3, shows indiviudal tires IF you go through the effort of making the dealership do it. It's disabled by default. Engine codes can be shown, but you have to turn the car on and off twice and press certain buttons.

My wife's Ford Flex ... shows indivudual tires and engine codes w/o any extra effort. :(
keltor
Gerbil First Class

Return to The Back Porch