Building melts car

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am

If you happen to be in London I suggest you avoid getting close to Fenchurch Street. Seems there is a new building there that's been accused of melting parts off a car, setting a door mat on fire, and blistering the skin on a lemon. All by just reflecting sun light. Sadly there are no pictures of the melted Jaguar.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read/category/Top%20News/article/ap-london_skyscraper_accused_of_melting_car-ap
Khali
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 am

Khali wrote:If you happen to be in London I suggest you avoid getting close to Fenchurch Street. Seems there is a new building there that's been accused of melting parts off a car, setting a door mat on fire, and blistering the skin on a lemon. All by just reflecting sun light. Sadly there are no pictures of the melted Jaguar.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read/category/Top%20News/article/ap-london_skyscraper_accused_of_melting_car-ap


Who would have ever imagined that a giant concave mirror would have this effect?
cphite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am

Well, they can change the reflective glazing of installed glass... But then the building's interior would heat up more. Best way in current situation is to change the shape of each glass sheet (or the window frames) so the heat would get reflected upwards.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:01 am

IIRC there's a hotel in Las Vegas that had/has a similar problem - people who'd go swimming in its pool or sitting poolside would end up getting really bad sunburn because its shape focused sunlight there.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 am

bthylafh wrote:IIRC there's a hotel in Las Vegas that had/has a similar problem - people who'd go swimming in its pool or sitting poolside would end up getting really bad sunburn because its shape focused sunlight there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... burns.html

Apparently both buildings were designed by the same architect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vdara#Sola ... ath_ray.22 :lol:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37705
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am

Well, he's an architect - he doesn't need to know any stupid laws of physics, all he has to know is how to draw pretty shapes :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 am

JohnC wrote:Well, he's an architect - he doesn't need to know any stupid laws of physics, all he has to know is how to draw pretty shapes :wink:

Sure, curves look cool; but someone needs to tell this guy that when he's dealing with reflective exterior surfaces he needs to go with convex shapes instead of concave!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37705
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 am

Clearly they should emplace small solar power stations at these buildings' foci.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

.
Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Khali wrote: Sadly there are no pictures of the melted Jaguar

Image
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Building melts car

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
JohnC wrote:Well, he's an architect - he doesn't need to know any stupid laws of physics, all he has to know is how to draw pretty shapes :wink:

Sure, curves look cool; but someone needs to tell this guy that when he's dealing with reflective exterior surfaces he needs to go with convex shapes instead of concave!


One can almost forgive the first one... but you'd think that after your first concave glass building starts burning people, you would take that into consideration when planning any new ones. It's not like he can claim he didn't know about Vegas.
cphite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests