Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Image

(If more parents were upfront about this we'd have fewer teenage motherboards)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9987
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:54 pm

I both give you a thumbs up and a "oh gawd" groan of agony.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Denver, CO.

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

I smiled :lol:
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Masterful
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:21 pm

thx dad :)
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:56 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Clearly the resistor at the top (I see red/black/red/gold) will win this race with its 2000Ω resistance compared to the other 4 (I see green/brown/red/gold) at 5100Ω.

Courtesy of DigiKey's online resistor value calculator:

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/4-band-resistors.html
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Clearly the resistor at the top (I see red/black/red/gold) will win this race with its 2000Ω resistance compared to the other 4 (I see green/brown/red/gold) at 5100Ω.

Yeah, but the IC appears to be crouching down in a defensive posture (front legs bent), in an attempt to ward off 2000Ω's advances. The 5100Ω at the bottom may be able to sneak up on the IC while it is distracted.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm sure the IC was disappointed with the resistor "load", might bet blown. :P
BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Detroit

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:Yeah, but the IC appears to be crouching down in a defensive posture (front legs bent), in an attempt to ward off 2000Ω's advances. The 5100Ω at the bottom may be able to sneak up on the IC while it is distracted.

Whereas I assumed the IC was "looking for it" and the crouched legs were the rear legs. In that case, 5100Ω hasn't a chance.

EDIT: 35 years ago when Heathkit was still a viable business I'd not have needed DigiKey's calculator to reach those values.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Whereas I assumed the IC was "looking for it" and the crouched legs were the rear legs. In that case, 5100Ω hasn't a chance.

I suppose that could be the case. I just assumed that pin #1 was at the head end. OTOH the keying notch (hard to see in that pic) does give that end more of a "buttocks" shape.

(Jeez, this got strange fast...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:(Jeez, this got strange fast...)

To be honest, I was working with a massively blown-up version of the initial pic using IrfanView.

And yes, it is strange.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I smiled and then showed my true nerd by stopping and considering what basic op amp circuit I could make using exactly those parts.... :oops:

Since it is a single ended op amp, I figured a non inverting amp with a gain of 6.1 referenced to a virtual ground at 1/2Vcc was good enough. Yep, I'm a nerd.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:Whereas I assumed the IC was "looking for it" and the crouched legs were the rear legs. In that case, 5100Ω hasn't a chance.

I suppose that could be the case. I just assumed that pin #1 was at the head end. OTOH the keying notch (hard to see in that pic) does give that end more of a "buttocks" shape.

You both need to hand in your geek cards now. Pin 1 is clearly identified by the dot, easily visible in the band across the packaging without any need to try and spot the keying notch
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 am

notfred wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:Whereas I assumed the IC was "looking for it" and the crouched legs were the rear legs. In that case, 5100Ω hasn't a chance.

I suppose that could be the case. I just assumed that pin #1 was at the head end. OTOH the keying notch (hard to see in that pic) does give that end more of a "buttocks" shape.

You both need to hand in your geek cards now. Pin 1 is clearly identified by the dot, easily visible in the band across the packaging without any need to try and spot the keying notch

Yes, I know pin 1 is identified by the dot. The question isn't which end is pin 1; the question is whether pin 1 is at the "head" or "tail" end.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am

I love this thread! :lol:
gigafinger
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Derry, NH

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:I smiled and then showed my true nerd by stopping and considering what basic op amp circuit I could make using exactly those parts.... :oops:

Since it is a single ended op amp, I figured a non inverting amp with a gain of 6.1 referenced to a virtual ground at 1/2Vcc was good enough. Yep, I'm a nerd.

I wasn't sure enough about the rather blurry part number to take a guess at the type of chip...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:I smiled and then showed my true nerd by stopping and considering what basic op amp circuit I could make using exactly those parts.... :oops:

Since it is a single ended op amp, I figured a non inverting amp with a gain of 6.1 referenced to a virtual ground at 1/2Vcc was good enough. Yep, I'm a nerd.

I wasn't sure enough about the rather blurry part number to take a guess at the type of chip...


Now that I go back and look, I'm not so sure either.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:33 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Now that I go back and look, I'm not so sure either.
I'm purely a software guy, so i have no clue what any of it means but perhaps this will help? http://i.imgur.com/qleuW.jpg
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m
mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:Now that I go back and look, I'm not so sure either.
I'm purely a software guy, so i have no clue what any of it means but perhaps this will help? http://i.imgur.com/qleuW.jpg

LN311 voltage comparator.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:LN311 voltage comparator.
Does that do what I think it does? :P
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m
mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:Now that I go back and look, I'm not so sure either.

I'm purely a software guy, so i have no clue what any of it means but perhaps this will help? http://i.imgur.com/qleuW.jpg

OK, it's a voltage comparator then.

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:LN311 voltage comparator.

Does that do what I think it does? :P

Compares two analog voltages and drives its output high or low depending on which voltage is greater.

Edit: Here's a data sheet with example circuits, and even an internal schematic.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 am

just brew it! wrote:Yes, I know pin 1 is identified by the dot. The question isn't which end is pin 1; the question is whether pin 1 is at the "head" or "tail" end.
Sorry about that, misunderstood what you were saying.

Shame the chip isn't a 555, could have had all kinds of jokes about astable multivibrators :)
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 am

notfred wrote:Shame the chip isn't a 555, could have had all kinds of jokes about astable multivibrators :)

Check out page 14 of the data sheet I linked. :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37732
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Son, it's time for "The Talk"

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
notfred wrote:Shame the chip isn't a 555, could have had all kinds of jokes about astable multivibrators :)

Check out page 14 of the data sheet I linked. :wink:

Very clever :lol:

Ah, the LM311...it was an important piece of my senior project in college.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests