Nerdiest music video ever

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Nerdiest music video ever

Postposted on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Nerdiest music video ever

Postposted on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Brilliant.

One man acapella choruses don't get old, especially when they're this clever.

Oh yeah, and then there's this:

the guy's thesis wrote:(2+1)-dimensional gravity with a negative cosmological constant is a topo-logical theory with no local degrees of freedom.

If that sentence makes sense to you, you should probably follow the link to the guy's thesis and have a look-see.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Did they ever prove the string theory, or is it still classified as theory? Sorry, not trying to knock nerd culture, but nerd culture seems to have it's foundation on theories. I would jump on the bandwagon if it was fact-based, but then again, that would probably be boring. I still put the Big Bang and the String Theory in the same category as unicorns and fireball-throwing wizards, which, don't get me wrong, is still fun to pretend about. :)
confusedpenguin
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Well... you never really prove a theory, the best you can do is find additional evidence to support it. You can disprove one though, by finding convincing evidence that directly contradicts it.

As far as String Theory goes, we still have no idea whether it has any relationship to reality, or if it is just an interesting mathematical construct. A big problem is that it is very difficult to test any of the things that String Theory implies, since its purported effects manifest at extremely high energies and very small sizes (well beyond the capabilities of current particle accelerators). So we don't have any observational evidence to back it up (yet).

OTOH, observational evidence for the Big Bang is pretty strong. Strong enough that most cosmologists believe it really happened.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 am

Fantastic! I read Physics at university and still have no idea of what he's going on about in most of the song, but it is awesome.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to The Back Porch