John McAfee has a solution to our NSA spying problems

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

John McAfee has a solution to our NSA spying problems

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm

credible
Gerbil First Class

Re: John McAfee has a solution to our NSA spying problems

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm

So this is like a custom encrypted VPN device? If yes - it is useless:
http://www.informationweek.com/security ... /240159261
And if they can't crack the encryption by themselves - I am sure they can simply force the manufacturer to provide them the way to decrypt it.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Bah, I was hoping this plan would involve his elite team of hot female assassins and/or Central American gangland acquaintances. I am disappoint.

On a serious note, decentralized hardware like local darknets and ad-hoc wireless is the right way to go. As long as everything flows through a handful of server farms owned by major telecoms it will be really easy for spies, hackers, disgruntled employees and other troublemakers to have their way with the system. Can't tell if his gadget is supposed to do that or will just be a big access point.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

"Send lawyers, guns, and money..."
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Buub wrote:"Send lawyers, guns, and money..."

Nah, just avoid Russian waitresses.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 pm

If it works as well as his McAfee Virus Delivery System, then this will save the NSA a lot of trouble.
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, 2X-EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8 & Ubuntu 12.10 Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Hey now, the detection rate for their current product is not that awful - it's not as good as better paid options but much better than worthless crap from Microsoft or even Avira's products:
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us ... laug-2013/ :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 pm

JohnC wrote:Hey now, the detection rate for their current product is not that awful - it's not as good as better paid options but much better than worthless crap from Microsoft or even Avira's products:
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us ... laug-2013/ :wink:

I've been removing viruses since Win95 and at least 60 per cent were infected with McAfee installed, yet maybe only 20 per cent that had NO anti-virus installed at all. The rest had Norton/Symantec and later, Microsoft's lame program. And then the rest of the apps fill in the other blank spaces. I am convinced McAfee is a beacon to malware who probe for its open ports for updates to identify it then attack the turdware, then compromise the system, since it prolly has root/admin.
CLamWin, Malwarebytes and Sandboxie for questionable programs from net for testing will server users well.
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, 2X-EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8 & Ubuntu 12.10 Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 pm

NovusBogus wrote:On a serious note, decentralized hardware like local darknets and ad-hoc wireless is the right way to go. As long as everything flows through a handful of server farms owned by major telecoms it will be really easy for spies, hackers, disgruntled employees and other troublemakers to have their way with the system. Can't tell if his gadget is supposed to do that or will just be a big access point.

In theory you can use the public networks and remain secure if you use strong end-to-end encryption. Unfortunately, all closed-source commercial encryption tools -- including the one McAfee is proposing! -- are suspect, as they may contain back doors or intentional weaknesses introduced at the behest of the NSA.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch