Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Tom Clancy Has Passed Away.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 am

Fighterpilot wrote:
I'd also highly recommend "Cauldron" and "Vortex" by Larry Bond.
Both are brilliant techno thrillers with an epic "big" storyline.

Vortex educated me about Korean operational conditions, a great read. Cauldron was a bit wacky. It was hard to wrap my head around the idea of the US fighting a proto-"EuroForce" led by the French.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 am

What tha.......?????

This is the first I have heard about this movie. I wonder how much input Clancy had with it.
Last edited by tanker27 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Re: TOM CLANCY HAS DIED!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 am

Waco wrote:
The opposite is true of the rest of them...the books are all far better than the movies.

Only If you have the habit of imagining while reading a book.

trackerben

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 am

tanker27 wrote:
What tha.......?????

This is the first I have heard about this movie. I wonder how much input Clancy had with it.

This version walks and talks like Captain James T., not Academic Jack P.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: TOM CLANCY HAS DIED!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 am

Jigar wrote:
Waco wrote:
The opposite is true of the rest of them...the books are all far better than the movies.

Only If you have the habit of imagining while reading a book.

Is there any other way to read? :o
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:57 am

I did read more michael criton as a kid but I loved the movies and games. long live red storm.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
Another great techno thriller from that era was "Flight of the Old Dog" by Dale Brown.

I often wondered why they never made a movie of that one. :-?

You know, I thought I was living in the future so on that recommendation, I fired up Kindle in order to buy the ebook. Only the abridged audio book is available.

I am disappoint.

Fighterpilot

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am

Audio only..ugh...you should be disappoint :cry:
That's a damn shame....try and get it in paperback, its really a great book.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am

I'll never get why more books aren't on the kindle and cheaper on the kindle. I buy the kindle version if its the same as a used copy w/ shipping (or at least close). Otherwise...I have shelf space.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 am

It looks like Tom Clancy died of heart issues:

http://news.usni.org/2013/10/02/tom-clancy-dies-66
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 am

I met Tom Clancy back in high school. I went to the older kids version of Space Camp with his daughter and we dated for about a month before distance killed that relationship. At the time, he was writing Without Remorse and I got to see a chapter on his computer that I recognized when I read the novel.

This was well after the Hunt for Red October made him a success and I think before the movie came out. He had purchased what used to be a girls' summer camp and built this gorgeous house on the water in Maryland. It was on the edge of the cliff and I believe was the inspiration for the climactic scene in Patriot Games (book, not movie). IIRC, there was one room in the house that didn't have a window looking out over the water. I've visited some nice houses in my time... It's one thing to drive through the gate along the road to the house, and it's altogether different to drive past the soccer field. He also had a two-lane shooting range in his basement.

I'm sorry to hear that he's gone. I loved his books (and Dale Brown's. Check out Craig Thomas of Firefox fame as well) and didn't bother with the ghost written ones. He was an interesting dude. And I hope Michelle is doing well.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:40 am

Darkmage wrote:
I met Tom Clancy back in high school. I went to the older kids version of Space Camp with his daughter and we dated for about a month before distance killed that relationship. At the time, he was writing Without Remorse and I got to see a chapter on his computer that I recognized when I read the novel.

This was well after the Hunt for Red October made him a success and I think before the movie came out. He had purchased what used to be a girls' summer camp and built this gorgeous house on the water in Maryland. It was on the edge of the cliff and I believe was the inspiration for the climactic scene in Patriot Games (book, not movie). IIRC, there was one room in the house that didn't have a window looking out over the water. I've visited some nice houses in my time... It's one thing to drive through the gate along the road to the house, and it's altogether different to drive past the soccer field. He also had a two-lane shooting range in his basement.

I'm sorry to hear that he's gone. I loved his books (and Dale Brown's. Check out Craig Thomas of Firefox fame as well) and didn't bother with the ghost written ones. He was an interesting dude. And I hope Michelle is doing well.

That is pretty remarkable.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
It looks like Tom Clancy died of heart issues:

http://news.usni.org/2013/10/02/tom-clancy-dies-66

That helps explain the sudden nature of his death.