Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: A perfect automobile

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:44 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Depends, not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5, and I don't think it would do well on the rough roads of Timmins, nor the winters.

What you're looking for is called a "transportation appliance." This here is for people who want to drive.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 pm

ludi wrote:
This here is for people who want to drive.

Nope. This thing from the first post is for old farts and/or armchair "enthusiasts" who buy it and put it into garage so they can occasionally visit it (most likely with their "less fortunate" in terms of personal wealth friends/relatives) and drool over it for a few minutes, as well as occasionally taking it to a local club/show event (in a trailer, so nasty salt or other airborne debris would not diminish its resale value) to stroke their own ego in front of another bunch of "less fortunate" people :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Agreed with ludi; this thing is a driver. Using a 1990-1994 as the donor means it'll be titled in those years, predating OBD II. While they advertise the big engine as off-road only, there isn't a thing my local inspection shop could do as VT doesn't do sniffer tests.

I noticed that nowhere on their site was price discussed. I'm sure that given all of the options they can't really list prices but I've got to believe they're not cheap.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm

ludi wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
Depends, not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5, and I don't think it would do well on the rough roads of Timmins, nor the winters.

What you're looking for is called a "transportation appliance." This here is for people who want to drive.

Best compromise of both worlds? Aside from the crime of currently not offering it with a manual transmission, and only in Germany, of course.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
We have spaceships like the Nissan GT-R now that only need the driver to press the pedal and turn the wheel.

To be fair it's extremely easy to outrun a GT-R with a bad driver even in a massively slower car assuming the course is relatively tight. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I noticed that nowhere on their site was price discussed. I'm sure that given all of the options they can't really
list prices but I've got to believe they're not cheap.

No they aren't. But it sure is pretty.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 pm

ludi wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
Not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/m ... index.html
http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-rs7
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/panamera/
http://www.maseratiquattroporte.com/en-us/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Jive wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
I noticed that nowhere on their site was price discussed. I'm sure that given all of the options they can't really list prices but I've got to believe they're not cheap.
No they aren't. But it sure is pretty.

I smell Powerball purchase.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5.

My young daughter (she was pushing 4 at the time) found her car seat in the back of the '02 WRX wagon to be the perfect place to shriek with glee as Dad gunned it yet again. The car had tether points for 3 seats and I made that work more than once when transporting daughter & friends. Wasn't 'til the '07 that it came with the bottom latch hooks.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Waco wrote:
To be fair it's extremely easy to outrun a GT-R with a bad driver even in a massively slower car assuming the course is relatively tight. :)

True, it helps if the drivers knows that they're doing. :) It just doesn't take as much skill or courage to go fast in modern cars.

cynan wrote:
Best compromise of both worlds? Aside from the crime of currently not offering it with a manual transmission, and only in Germany, of course.

I still want to see a M3 wagon from the BMW factory. I would take a 3-series wagon with the bigger engine and sports suspension as a substitute.

As a counter, I propose the 5-door Subaru Impreza WRX STI since it can actually be bought in the US. Those are just as lust worthy.

Captain Ned wrote:
Agreed with ludi; this thing is a driver. Using a 1990-1994 as the donor means it'll be titled in those years, predating OBD II. While they advertise the big engine as off-road only, there isn't a thing my local inspection shop could do as VT doesn't do sniffer tests.

Provided I have a VIN and insurance, I don't think there is anything I couldn't register here. We don't have smog test or even roadworthiness inspections.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
It just doesn't take as much skill or courage to go fast in modern cars.

Hence the whole concept behind Singer air-cooled Porsches.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I still want to see a M3 wagon from the BMW factory. I would take a 3-series wagon with the bigger engine and sports suspension as a substitute.

As a counter, I propose the 5-door Subaru Impreza WRX STI since it can actually be bought in the US. Those are just as lust worthy.

I'd also be happy with a Caddy CTS-V wagon.

CasbahBoy
Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 pm

JohnC wrote:
ludi wrote:

Nope. This thing from the first post is for old farts and/or armchair "enthusiasts" who buy it and put it into garage so they can occasionally visit it (most likely with their "less fortunate" in terms of personal wealth friends/relatives) and drool over it for a few minutes, as well as occasionally taking it to a local club/show event (in a trailer, so nasty salt or other airborne debris would not diminish its resale value) to stroke their own ego in front of another bunch of "less fortunate" people :wink:

You're jumping to quite a few conclusions there. I'd rather publicly mock the owners who actually do that than fabricate a straw man; but the thing is, I wouldn't mock anyone for buying a car for their own personal reasons to begin with.

There are a great deal of wealthy jerks out there that buy something expensive or flashy or both for the sake of attention - there are also plenty of genuinely nice people who drive (be it daily, or on special occasions only) expensive cars and love sharing it with others whenever they can.
"We demand rigidly defined values of doubt and uncertainty!"

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Ask and you shall receive. (Though not from the factory as you requested, but still damn awesome)
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:01 am

I have owned a lot of cars in my life. Some real strong ones and some more family oriented cars. My present car, my 93 Lincoln Mark VIII, is a jewel. I'm not sure about a perfect car, but my favorite in maybe 50 years of car ownership.

Two things make it stand out. It handles and has decent power ... it drives very well. It's a very very comfortable car. The combination make hell like days when you have to carve traffic in tropical storms almost relaxing. It has taken a while but I have come to appreciate the Mark VIII as a nearly perfect, long and medium distance, luxury personal transportation device.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

CasbahBoy wrote:
There are also plenty of genuinely nice people who drive (be it daily, or on special occasions only) expensive cars and love sharing it with others whenever they can.

Really??? Wow, I never knew that! Thanks for opening my eyes! :lol:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:

It's not the only "fun" station wagon you can buy here, there's also this:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/ ... odel-E63SP
The fuel economy is somewhat poor, though, so it might not fit the budget of some families :wink:

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 am

JohnC wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

The fuel economy is somewhat poor, though, so it might not fit the budget of some families :wink:

Don't forget to add in the fact that it will self-destruct in a massively expensive fashion quite regularly once it gets out of warranty.

Extended warranties for AMG Mercs are absolutely ridiculously priced...for a very good reason.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 am

Eh, the "ridiculously priced" is kind of a subjective thing and depends on different dealers... I was offered an extra 3 year/75k warranty for around $3k which is pretty acceptable for me.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am

75k total? Or 75k past the original warranty?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

I believe it was total mileage... They had 3 choices - 75k, 100k and 125k. They start with lowest mileage choice because they assume that most AMG users won't be putting a lot of miles on their weekend toys ;-)

There's also an option for Geico users to purchase Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, which is up to 7years/100k miles (total), though they do have a deductible. Should be even cheaper than what dealer offers.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:28 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I'd also be happy with a Caddy CTS-V wagon.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about those. They're awsome too. :)

JohnC wrote:

They probably frequently need new tires and brake pads too. :) Mercedes rarely come with an option for a manual transmission, so I don't keep up with them.

clone wrote:
Ariel Atom all the way.

There are a couple Atoms that regularly drive around town here. They're cool, but I do like the KTM Xbow better.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
They probably frequently need new tires and brake pads too. :)

Well, now that they have embraced all-wheel drive for AMG models there should be diminished need for frequent tire replacement :wink:

clone
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

The Singer is really nice. not the most rational purchase, but I'm glad beautiful things exist due to the passions of enthusiasts.

I'm also partial to this one - a resto-mod for the MGB in a similar vein to the Singer:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2012_mg_le50_first_drive/
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
The Singer is really nice. not the most rational purchase, but I'm glad beautiful things exist due to the passions of enthusiasts.

I'm also partial to this one - a resto-mod for the MGB in a similar vein to the Singer:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2012_mg_le50_first_drive/

Okay that's just awesome. It'll probably go for a quarter million miles before anything in the powertrain breaks as well!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:24 pm

JohnC wrote:
It's not the only "fun" station wagon you can buy...
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models ... avant.html
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:43 pm

I am surprised no one said a McLaren mp4-12. A true super car that has a nice ride. Along with tons of tech.

I would love to drive the OP's Porsche....they have a great feel to them, just a little dated looking. But that does not take the joy out of a good drive.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Two cars that, in my opinion, they never made an ugly one...Porsche & Corvette.

Edit..Forgot OP subject.....Perfect car is economical, easy to repair, paid for, not stolen, not blue, has 3,000 watts of midrange, tweeter & super tweeters screaming Slayer, a good piggy,....radar detector, and a nice lil refrigerator and fireproof stash box with a roof mount parachute and a GPS locator, and lastly, with a hole in front seat to drop wiz-N-biscuits without pulling over...
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 pm

CasbahBoy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
ludi wrote:

You're jumping to quite a few conclusions there. I'd rather publicly mock the owners who actually do that than fabricate a straw man; but the thing is, I wouldn't mock anyone for buying a car for their own personal reasons to begin with.

There are a great deal of wealthy jerks out there that buy something expensive or flashy or both for the sake of attention - there are also plenty of genuinely nice people who drive (be it daily, or on special occasions only) expensive cars and love sharing it with others whenever they can.

I realize and agree with what John is saying, but this is a great post and very true.