Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DrCR
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

CIT email template found online - Is this normal?

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:38 pm

I did a duckduckgo search pertaining to CIT, and one of the first page hits was this:
http://tracking.citibank.com/ex/splash. ... 13E6834C5D

Odd, I thought. To see what would happen, I clicked on the unsubscribe link, and it gave "Your email address, , has been opted out of receiving the Citibank Customer Updates & News e-mail from Citibank retail banking."

So, after initial concern, it appears null was unsubscribed. Are email 'templates' like this normally found via normal searching of the interwebz? Just curious. This is the first time that I can recall coming across something like this via search results.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: CIT email template found online - Is this normal?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am

My guess is that the page was put on their site as the target of an "If this message does not display correctly in your e-mail client click here to read in your browser" link in the e-mailed version. Furthermore, if a link to the page has been posted anywhere online, and the page does not contain meta-data requesting that search engines ignore it, then yes the search engines will have spidered it, causing it to show up in search results.

In other words, probably perfectly normal, other than a little sloppy (but harmless) web coding on Citi's part.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DrCR
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: CIT email template found online - Is this normal?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah, good point. I guess it took me off guard, and I was too tired to think of how it may have been setup. I'm accustomed to the "If this message does not display correctly in your e-mail client click here to read in your browser" links in emails to usually user-specific material, but apparently that's not the case with how citibank set this up.