Star Trek Continues: Kickstarter campaign to finish ST:TOS

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Star Trek Continues: Kickstarter campaign to finish ST:TOS

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm

While going to a site (which I won't mention as not to distract from this thread. Arrrrrr matey), I saw this kickstarter campaign to finish off the remaining 2 seasons of Star Trek: TOS.

Called: Star Trek Continues, it aims to reproduce ST:TOS in all it's cheesy glory and I must say, they do a very good job. Some of the casting is just a "tad" off (Bones needs to be older and Spock's voice needs to be deeper), but I thought they did all the little things right. The dry humor, the puns at Spock, Kirk's classic overacting (well, to the actors best possible efforts), bad special effects, the "blips" on the bridge and so on. They got James Doohan son, Chris, to reprise the role of Scotty and I have to say, it's kinda scary how close the resemblance is. All of the actors have acting experience so it's not that awkward first time acting experience, but for a kick starter effort, I'm very impressed. I consider myself a ST:TOS elitist/snob and I've hated what J.J. Abrams did with his "reboot", so I was pretty excited when I saw this. And yes, they make sure to kill off a crew member (who is assumed to be a red shirt). You can tell that it was put together by a bunch of ST nerds who didn't care about making money but rather doing it "right".

And as a special treat, (spoiler)they got the original actor from ST:TOS to reprise his role in this episode

Here's the youtube video (it's a full episode): https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

and the fan/kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125377036/star-trek-continues-webseries

I've never been overly excited for most kickstarter projects before. But this is different. I'm putting some $ towards this.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Re: Star Trek Continues: Kickstarter campaign to finish ST:T

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 pm

They do a good job. I have been following this project for the last month or so.
Khali
Gerbil XP

Return to The Back Porch