NSA broke into Yahoo, Google data centers

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

NSA broke into Yahoo, Google data centers

Postposted on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Khali
Gerbil XP

Re: NSA broke into Yahoo, Google data centers

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:45 am

I'm appalled and impressed at the same time.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:52 am

I'm certain that Google Inc. is outraged, outraged i tells ya'.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Deliberately breaking into private, protected data streams. There have to be some laws here that would be broken if this were not a protected government entity (which is a sign that the laws are broken if they don't apply to all entities). And it appears there may be laws that have been broken even given this is the NSA.

So, do these people really think there are any limits at all?

Is the world really such a dangerous place that we cannot survive "safely" without this level of intrusive microscopic examination of us all?
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Buub wrote:Deliberately breaking into private, protected data streams. There have to be some laws here that would be broken if this were not a protected government entity (which is a sign that the laws are broken if they don't apply to all entities). And it appears there may be laws that have been broken even given this is the NSA.

The laws are largely irrelevant. The current administration cares as little about the rule of law as the previous one did, at least in terms of how they apply to the administration. And even if they did care about the law, they'd simply claim that in this case they do not apply for reasons of national security; based on a secret ruling from a secret court, etc.

So, do these people really think there are any limits at all?

None whatsoever. The only potential consequences are political, and the American voter has proven to be very, very lenient when it comes to this sort of thing. People will gripe, but not much more.

Is the world really such a dangerous place that we cannot survive "safely" without this level of intrusive microscopic examination of us all?

Even if it was, this sort of thing would be over the line.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:29 pm

What do you expect, when the people in charge are saying things like:
Mike Rogers wrote:You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated.

link

Edit: Moving this to R&P...

Edit #2: ...and after reconsidering, moving it back to the Porch, given that there's also a front page article on this very topic. TR's editorial staff seems to feel that this is important enough to be front page news on their site, so who am I to decide to hide this side discussion in an opt-in section of the forums?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Arclight wrote:I'm certain that Google Inc. is outraged, outraged i tells ya'.

Indeed. I'm not happy about what the NSA is doing, but given that these tech companies made hundreds of billions of dollars getting people to spy on themselves I view all of this with a certain sense of hilarity that only comes from seeing one's oft-ridiculed cyberpunk paranoia completely and utterly vindicated in the most public way imaginable.

Remember kids, the NSA did not build this massive digital panopticon. You did, when you clicked yes on all those website EULAs to get a 'free' service and proceeded to post all your stuff online. Web 2.0 isn't so sexy when it shows its true form, is it?
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Return to The Back Porch