Vehicle Ads and "sexy" human models

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Vehicle Ads and "sexy" human models

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:36 pm

One motorcycle dealership got numerous complaints from crazy feminazis about "blah, blah, blah, objectifying women" in their vehicle Ads, so they decided to fix that in a perfectly fair way :wink:

Sooo... Here are 2 versions of same Ads - the original one "exploiting the female stereotypes":
http://motocorsa.com/featured/ducati-11 ... wallpapers
And the "fixed" one:
http://motocorsa.com/featured/ducati-11 ... s-manigale
Which ones do YOU prefer to enjoy? :wink: B.t.w, the photos are available in higher-res version, in case if you want the "fixed" version to use as a wallpapers at home or at work :wink:

P.S: All photos are perfectly "work safe".
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Vehicle Ads and "sexy" human models

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:56 pm

JohnC wrote:P.S: All photos are perfectly "work safe".

The word "perfectly" is up for debate.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am

Both are stupid. I dislike the use of scantily clad and/or suggestive looking models with things like this. The firearms industry does it as well.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 am

Haha, that's brilliant advertising. The sexy woman was a no brainer but they amplified their exposure with the follow up.
X5460 3.16GHz/4.00GHz | P5K PRO | 6GB PC2-6400 | GTX 660 2GB | 120GB 840 | IFX-14 | PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:02 am

For people who aren't drooling sexists, the ads are equally ridiculous, and you should be able to see that even without prompting by "feminazis".
peartart
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:20 pm

I have to admit I loled. I never really understood why they put people in photos of such fine pieces of machinery in the first place but consumers must go for it.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:36 pm

NovusBogus wrote:I have to admit I loled. I never really understood why they put people in photos of such fine pieces of machinery in the first place but consumers must go for it.

My guess is that the attractiveness of the individual with the machinery/firearm/alcohol/etc. doesn't actually affect one's decision to buy a product, but it does capture the attention and force someone to look at it. That ends up putting the product in one's mind and could eventually lead to a sale.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Vrock wrote:Both are stupid. I dislike the use of scantily clad and/or suggestive looking models with things like this. The firearms industry does it as well.

I agree. It's just dumb and I wish people would stop it.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Every industry uses sex to sell. Even if it's not as blatant as the original ads, they do. Especially interesting is if you broaden what 'using sex to sell' means from overtly sexual to 'makes one a more fit mate' you will see it everywhere.

Anyway, the ads don't make me want to buy a Ducati, they make me horny :p (the original set of ads that is)
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Vrock wrote:Both are stupid. I dislike the use of scantily clad and/or suggestive looking models with things like this. The firearms industry does it as well.

I wouldn't go as far as call that "stupid" (it's an effective advertising technique), but I kind of agree - I prefer to "visually enjoy" these things separately :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:59 am

If I absolutely must be subjected to advertising, at least throw a pretty girl in. Otherwise it just wastes my time.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:47 am

Neither of those are better then the other. They should be ashamed by how little protective gear the models have on. Those heels and no helmet or pants. It's a bad example. :P

NovusBogus wrote:I have to admit I loled. I never really understood why they put people in photos of such fine pieces of machinery in the first place but consumers must go for it.

Seriously, it's frustrating when they cover up gorgeous machinery like that with models. I know where I can find cheesecake if I want cheesecake, but good shots of a motorcycle are hard to find.

They should remove some of fairing to show off that V-twin, but that might be a little too NSFW. :oops: :D

MadManOriginal wrote:Anyway, the ads don't make me want to buy a Ducati, they make me horny :p (the original set of ads that is)

3 and 22 make me want to buy a Ducati, but I kind of already wanted to buy a Ducati.

As a side note, these are the same guys who did the Ducati 1199 Panigale TerraCorsa. It's a 1199 Panigale, like the bike in the photo shoot, with raised suspension and knobby tires for going off road. (http://rideapart.com/2013/10/ducati-119 ... exclusive/) There is a video in the link, and it's pretty awesome.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 am

peartart wrote:For people who aren't drooling sexists, the ads are equally ridiculous, and you should be able to see that even without prompting by "feminazis".

The thing is, they work. People always ask why marketing always uses sex to sell things, and the answer is always the same - it works. If it didn't work they wouldn't spend so much money doing it.

People are attracted to sexual imagery. If they're thumbing through a magazine, of watching television, or scanning down a webpage and suddenly they see an image of an attractive woman (or man, depending on the target audience) they notice. And that's the first step in any advertisement - get people to notice. Even if the reason people notice is because it offends them, that's better than not being noticed at all.

And like it or not, human beings are pretty predictable in how we respond to things. People see an attractive model with a car - or a beer, or whatever - and on some level they connect the two things. Sexy model is good, expensive car goes with model, therefore expensive car is good.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know why feminists would get so mad about something like this. It's a clear exercise of their power over men, by men. It's men admitting that women hold an enormous amount of power over men and can exercise it at their will to do things we normally wouldn't. I mean sure, she is clearly not the average lady, but if your frustration is pure jealousy then even you are buying into the power of an attractive woman.
shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:I don't know why feminists would get so mad about something like this. It's a clear exercise of their power over men, by men. It's men admitting that women hold an enormous amount of power over men and can exercise it at their will to do things we normally wouldn't. I mean sure, she is clearly not the average lady, but if your frustration is pure jealousy then even you are buying into the power of an attractive woman.

Basically, ugly women are jealous of pretty women. It happens all the time in real life when women get catty (ooo, sexist term!) toward one another.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Ignoring the sexual connotations; Models are used to represent "perfection", a sleek healthy body that has no excess fat or negative features (and yes, some are way too thin for my tastes). If they were to model an "average" person, would I think expect the thing they are selling to be "average" too? I don't want to buy average, I want to buy perfection, even if I'm not myself.
I am jaded. I am cynical.
lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Hehe. I think the ads are cute. I've never objected to bikini models in advertising, because, well, sex sells. It's called "playing to win".

I wish they'd used male models in the ads, though -- not that I'm really into that (although looking at beautiful people is always nice, regardless of gender), but just because it would have made the rebuttal more sincere.
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

More on the topic of TR, this loosely guised MSI add is absolutely ridiculous. (Anyone think she gives Geoff a run for his money)?

Shame on you MSI
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:41 pm

clone wrote:tossing a bike and a bikini together in a photo isn't smart advertising, it's just lazy, the response is just as lazy & equally unoriginal.

the 2012 Dodge Ram Superbowl commercial was creative and didn't require a bikini... it was smart advertising, it's why it stands out. the 2011 Star Wars Volkswagon commercial, equally so... smart advertising.

You don't think its a bit unfair to compare a still image to a video?
that's the simple position to assume, it's naive, lacks depth and panders to the lowest common denominator.

A logical person often finds the most simple answer to a question is the correct one. If 99% of the data that comes across your path says "ugly women are jealous of hot ones", then that is the theory you go with. You can surely bring up some exceptions, and in the scientific world they are called outliers.

men are easily pleased

Fixed that for you.
I am jaded. I am cynical.
lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:Ignoring the sexual connotations; Models are used to represent "perfection", a sleek healthy body that has no excess fat or negative features (and yes, some are way too thin for my tastes). If they were to model an "average" person, would I think expect the thing they are selling to be "average" too? I don't want to buy average, I want to buy perfection, even if I'm not myself.

I might be jaded, or I'm too busy analyzing the sales pitch, but that model is just an airbrushed fantasy. She's no more attractive than a well styled appliance. Actually, it might help if she could actually ride at a high level, and they showed her doing so.

Here's something interesting I found the other day talking about this subject. Upworthy: A Catalog That Believes Reality Can Sell Clothes Better Than Photoshop (http://www.upworthy.com/a-catalog-that- ... hop?c=ufb1)

clone wrote:Honda did the motorcycle industry a huge service when it launched the "you meet the nicest ppl on a Honda", it was wildly successful in boosting overall industry sales and in raising the image of the motorcycle industry, since then everyone has eagerly jumped right back into the toilet and taken ownership of it.... it's why the Honda campaign is the only one I remember.

Surely you remember the on going Harley-Davidson campaign. "Buying our junk and pretend you're an anti-social a**h*le who has little need for authority even thought you're a limp wristed middle manager without an ounce of rebellion who only rides on 'nice' days on the weekend, and if anyone questions your authenticity, we have more junk to take care of that."

Honda is getting back to that. They motorcycles they've been releasing lately are really very practical rather then the juiced up toys of years past.

MadManOriginal wrote:
shaq_mobile wrote:I don't know why feminists would get so mad about something like this. It's a clear exercise of their power over men, by men. It's men admitting that women hold an enormous amount of power over men and can exercise it at their will to do things we normally wouldn't. I mean sure, she is clearly not the average lady, but if your frustration is pure jealousy then even you are buying into the power of an attractive woman.

Basically, ugly women are jealous of pretty women. It happens all the time in real life when women get catty (ooo, sexist term!) toward one another.

This does happen, but the complaint is more about enforcing the idea that women are only valuable because of their looks. However, this ad campaign exploits men far more then it degrades women. It's a siren song, a honeypot. They dangle this attractive model out there, and take advantage of the poor suckers who wander in. It's manipulative, so their outrage is warranted. They just didn't voice the correct reason.

As for the model, she took the assignment. She could have turned it down, but she decided she would take it. I can't speak for her motives, but I'm sure she has her own reasons for taking the assignment.

lilbuddhaman wrote:A logical person often finds the most simple answer to a question is the correct one. If 99% of the data that comes across your path says "ugly women are jealous of hot ones", then that is the theory you go with. You can surely bring up some exceptions, and in the scientific world they are called outliers.

That's a symptom, and not a cause. Women are jealous because they are insecure, and they are insecure because they have been told by society that physical standards are the only thing that matter for a women. If the women is not up to society's standards of beauty, then she is worthless. This is the core of sexual objectification. This of course isn't true, and men are much less picky then women think they are about physical standards. Moreover, it's the other things that will sustain relationships since the initial physical rush will fade.

However, "beautiful" people do get treated better, and sex is a powerful tool. A little flirting and some tight pants will grease the wheels a little bit in certain situations.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:04 pm

What human? All I saw was a sweet looking bike.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Meh, those male models are way too buff. Talk about objectifying men, pushing us all toward unattainable standards. :wink:
I prefer Subaru's Sumo Car Wash!
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

jihadjoe wrote:Meh, those male models are way too buff. Talk about objectifying men, pushing us all toward unattainable standards. :wink:
I prefer Subaru's Sumo Car Wash!

So hawt! :oops:
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:11 pm

JohnC wrote:So hawt! :oops:

You're embarrassed by a 4th Gen turbo Subaru Legacy?
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JohnC wrote:So hawt! :oops:

You're embarrassed by a 4th Gen turbo Subaru Legacy?

There was a Subaru Legacy in that Ad? :-?
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Who needs models with the sexiest bikes available? Meh.

I'm a die-hard Honda V4 guy, but before I die, I shall ride the bejesus out of Ducati V-Twin!
i7-4770K-32Gb DDR3-1600-MSI GTX670 Power-Intel 520 120gb SSD-Asus Xonar DX-Dell U2711
elmopuddy
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

clone wrote:that's the simple position to assume, it's naive, lacks depth and panders to the lowest common denominator.

men are drooling idiots that are easily pleased, women are to be objectified because only women willing to be so matter.

Are you telling me that "men are drooling idiots that are easily pleased" isn't equally "the simple position to assume, it's naive, lacks depth and panders to the lowest common denominator"?

What nonsense. Have you ever looked at a women's magazine? Tell me they're not 'objectifying women' (and men) in there. Ever seen a pop music video?

The difference is that men don't complain about being objectified whereas women seem to get off on doing so.
X5460 3.16GHz/4.00GHz | P5K PRO | 6GB PC2-6400 | GTX 660 2GB | 120GB 840 | IFX-14 | PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Next

Return to The Back Porch