Two guys walk into a bar....

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Two guys walk into a bar....

Postposted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:48 pm

And begin a conversation containing the term gigabytes, software development, and QA. Where am I?

Spoiler: I'm sitting at a hotel bar in San Jose, the heart of silicon value. I've been to many cities and many bars across the country and I have to say, San Jose is special. Strangely enough, though I have spent my entire career in tech, it just seems wrong. I go sit down at the bar somewhere and order a scotch, I don't expect to hear gigabytes and megahertz in the idle bar conversations. It's just.... wrong.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Two guys walk into a bar....

Postposted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:58 pm

You sat down at a bar to download graphing software?!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:And begin a conversation containing the term gigabytes, software development, and QA. Where am I?

Spoiler: I'm sitting at a hotel bar in San Jose, the heart of silicon value. I've been to many cities and many bars across the country and I have to say, San Jose is special. Strangely enough, though I have spent my entire career in tech, it just seems wrong. I go sit down at the bar somewhere and order a scotch, I don't expect to hear gigabytes and megahertz in the idle bar conversations. It's just.... wrong.

--SS

And you are posting from bar is not ?
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ @ 1.2V |ATI Radeon HD 4850| 6 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am

Jigar wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:And begin a conversation containing the term gigabytes, software development, and QA. Where am I?

--SS

And you are posting from bar is not ?

Not in Silicon Valley.... To be fair, it was the bar at my hotel, not a proper pub.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:19 pm

A former co-worker and I have been known to camp out at a bar near where I work to hack at a PHP web application. Granted, the application was for running beer competitions, but still... :wink:

We've also met at that same bar with yet another (soon to be) former co-worker to discuss ideas for a tech business that never got off the ground (this was a couple of years ago).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:A former co-worker and I have been known to camp out at a bar near where I work to hack at a PHP web application. Granted, the application was for running beer competitions, but still... :wink:

We've also met at that same bar with yet another (soon to be) former co-worker to discuss ideas for a tech business that never got off the ground (this was a couple of years ago).

I've actually spent many evenings scribbling various work related things on napkins at an Irish pub in Dallas. A good friend of mine, with whom I have worked at several companies, would use it for brainstorming. There were more than a couple of occasions where, come 3PM or so, we would find ourselves stuck or fed up with the office and retire to our offsite location. Its amazing what a pint or two can do for unwedging brain cells.

I get to spend a fair amount of next week in Denver and I certainly hope that I can get out to investigate some of the local establishments there too.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Not in Silicon Valley.... To be fair, it was the bar at my hotel, not a proper pub.

From what I've seen, midrange hotels around San Jose and the East Bay tend to substitute as long-stay housing for technology staff from all over. One weekend at the Fremont Hyatt I overheard lots of breakfast goers discussing tech and valley issues. It's not unusual either to find company gossip along with burgers and fries at In-N-Outs up and down the 880.
trackerben
Gerbil Elite

Return to The Back Porch