Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

What happened to newegg search?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:43 am

As we all know, Newegg has the one the best searching tools in the industry, making it easy to sort out the myriad of computer parts to the ones we are interested in. Or they did anyways. They recently seem to have cut out a lot of options from their search menu; I was looking for a hard drives earlier, and they no longer have the option to sort drives by size. Not even in the power search. And they cut similar stuff all over their store.

I sent them some feedback telling them not to cut out options, hope that helps.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Re: What happened to newegg search?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah, they really have messed it up.

I assume it was on purpose...trying to get you to look at more options instead of just price shopping one item.

However, I am less than pleased.

Have spent a great deal over the years and even promoted their Rosewill line of PSU on many forums. (today, a few 450 and 550 PLAT MOD on sale for $75...that is an insane good price)

But if I can't sort...well it will be as ta la vista Baby. :wink:

ps

SENT THEM A STRONGLY WORDED COMPLAINT.

They will loose my business if they insist on wasting my time. Google and Amazon still work. :lol:

I agree everyone should comment.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:33 am

Huh? If I go to Hard Drives it lets you select by desktop or laptop hard drives, which is effectively 3.5" or 2.5" respectively. That's pretty much all I'd be looking for in terms of size anyway. Or do you mean vertical height? I found that in the Power Search.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 am

look at graphics cards:

No search between AMD and NVIDIA?

WTF

No search even by series.

You have to be shi&^&% ING me.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:40 am

I noticed that to. There is no longer a resolution option in the monitor powersearch. Crazy.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:43 am

PSU page

No search by wattage? Insanity.

No search by 80 plus Gold or 80 plus PLAT...something I use often...what a waste of time.

Yes you can pre-select from the splash before getting to the actual PSU page...but once there it is gone.

I am not going to look at a thousand PSU in wattage and quality I am not interested in.

HUGE, HUGE reduction in convenience.

PSS

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

love this. :wink:

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I noticed that to. There is no longer a resolution option in the monitor powersearch. Crazy.

What. You're totally right! That's the most important spec!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

There is also no way to search for monitors based on size (24", 25", 27"), etc. I found that out last night and was very displeased.

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Huh? If I go to Hard Drives it lets you select by desktop or laptop hard drives, which is effectively 3.5" or 2.5" respectively. That's pretty much all I'd be looking for in terms of size anyway. Or do you mean vertical height? I found that in the Power Search.

No, he means capacity.

See this External Hard Drive advanced search criteria screen. You can choose 2.5" vs 3.5", but not capacity in GB, TB, or any other meaningful metric.

See this Internal Hard Drive advanced search screen, and you'll see that they graciously allow you to search on cache capacity, but not drive capacity. How generous of them!
Last edited by BIF on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:

He meant by capacity. What kind of moronic hard drive search tool doesn't allow you to search by capacity? :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm in the process of putting together a new system for a close friend and was amazed by the lack of search options. It blew my mind that I could sort by AMD or nVidia. I can't sort by Generation (7xxx/280x/290x). I can't sort PSU's by wattage. I can't sort SSDs/HHDs by storage size. This all just blew my mind, it was the first time that I completely passed over the Egg and bought from other sources. I really hope this is just an early, mistakenly pushes out version of a new search and that the needed options are just not there yet. I'm going to be upgrading my own system in about 2 months and if this isn't fixed I'll be passing up the Egg again.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:21 pm

well, like I said, it appears to be intentional.

It goes across all segments.

I just assume they want you to be less picky...look at other options..but it is complete BS.

EVERYONE SEND A COMMENT

http://help.newegg.com/app/ask/site/US/category/73

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Complaint logged.

Now for the important question for TR: I want to know what Tech Report is going to do for future listings and articles.

I mean, if it turns out that we have lost Newegg as a reliable research tool and generally-reasonable barometer of price, then at what point do we (meaning TR) start looking for a new research tool?

One day soon, this may just come down to the most important point, and that is The Tech Report's MUCH-VAUNTED independence of manufacturers and retailers (of which Newegg is both, since they have their own Rosewill brand now).

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I remember hitting this one about a week ago, but got busy with other things and only just now remembered:

Memory "Power Search" won't let you specify capacity either. Not as a whole for the package, nor for each stick, nor in any other useful denomination. You have to list all products then scroll scroll scroll. I remember being frustrated, and then just giving up. I think that was last weekend.

Phildoe, I also hit the search limitation on PSUs. I wanted to look for all PSUs with 1000 watts or greater and I could not do it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I've also recently contacted Newegg to let them know that their web monkey's new search design is making me less likely to do business with Newegg. What annoyed me this morning was not being able to search for a CPU by socket type.

Navigate from here:
http://help.newegg.com/app/home/site/US#ContactUsTab

P.S.: The website suggestion link is under "Webmaster" at the lower right. Be sure to tell them specifically what has made your shopping experience less enjoyable and that it makes it less likely that you will buy something from their site.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:12 pm

same; new search sucks. old search worked FINE, bring it back please.

also, i sent them an e-mail. i hope they fire the person that made this change.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Oh, here's another 'derp' lack of option - no searching by type (ATX, mATX, ITX) for cases. Also, when you click on 'show more' on the left while viewing items it brings up a popover which has an incomplete list - you have to click on 'All' in the popover to actually see ALL the options. (ex: Cases -> Manufacturers) The cynic in me feels this is a way to get payment from 'featured' manufacturers.

This happens every time Newegg changes something with their search, and it's very rarely better because the search was already THE BEST one of any website. It's still not quite as bad as Amazon, but almost, and most of all it's just an unnecessary change. Why mess with perfection? Oh yeah, because web developers wouldn't have a job. You used to be able to use Newegg to actually browse a product category to see what's available, now you have to know what you're looking for first. It would be one thing if it was just a new arrangement of search options, and it is better in one way because when you do click on a checkbox on the left while viewing items it auto-searches and shows the results. But the lack of the most obvious search terms is just bad, bad, design.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I complained about this to them yesterday, it seems like everything that relates to hardware specs has vanished. I can't imagine that being intentional, it would be the stupidest thing for a hardware retailer to ever do though only time will tell.

I also had to complain recently about their new 'Q&A' feature, as when I signed up for it it said there would be a difference between my display name and my real name but the tab that appears on the product page shows, or at least used to show, users' real names. Massive privacy breach, anyone? They did delete my name-revealing answer but I never got any sort of acknowledgement about it and whether the bugged Q&A product-page tab shows seems to be random.

It's clearly amateur hour over there. Very unfortunate, because it has me wondering if they can be counted on in the future.

Lazerpipe
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 pm

It is now my personal mission in life to get newegg to restore adavanced search or implement something similar or better. I urge everyone who feels as I do to do the same. I shall shout it from the high mountaintops.

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
...their web monkey's new search design is making me less likely to do business with Newegg...

I didn't swing that hammer just yet in my complaint. But they do have a forum, and they seem to be completely unaware of these issues. The "defenders" say it's all working just fine! I seem to have an id there but I can't get it working.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I tested it in both FF17esr and the latest version of Chrome so it's not a browser compatibility thing.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 pm

I just don't know what they are smoking.

Memory, can't sort by GB!

Its like they took the most obvious and useful sorts out on purpose.

"Hey, people are only buying 2x8 GB kits at 1866...how about we don't let them sort and maybe they'll see some old 4GB 1600 that we need to get rid of..."

"yeah, this sorting is really getting out of hand...people only buy exactly what they want...how are we going to sell these 80 + and 80 + bronze PSU units if people only shop the 80+ gold?"

"I know...lets pull all the obvious and useful search functions and make people scroll through our entire stock...they probably don't know the value they are missing on some of this cheap crap..."

IF THEY KEEP IT UP, THEY WILL BECOME BESTBUY TO ME....DEAD.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:13 pm

BIF wrote:
Duct Tape Dude wrote:

No, he means capacity.

See this External Hard Drive advanced search criteria screen. You can choose 2.5" vs 3.5", but not capacity in GB, TB, or any other meaningful metric.

See this Internal Hard Drive advanced search screen, and you'll see that they graciously allow you to search on cache capacity, but not drive capacity. How generous of them!

Oohhh... I get it now. Thanks.

That is definitely a massive oversight. The sanity behind these decisions is questionable for sure.
Last edited by Duct Tape Dude on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:17 pm

no, they pulled many of these from power search as well.

I hope they get the message. Their sort function was one of the top benefits of dealing with them.

With it gone, so will I be gone.

If I have to now waste my time...it will be with other suppliers.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 pm

I have noticed these awful changes as well. I submitted my feedback. What I find even crazier is that they were actively expanding the options within recent months. Now many of the crucial sorting options are gone. Last night I wanted to view all GTX770, 780 and R9 290, 290x cards... but you can no longer sort on GPU! It's ridiculous.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 pm

slowriot wrote:
I have noticed these awful changes as well. I submitted my feedback. What I find even crazier is that they were actively expanding the options within recent months. Now many of the crucial sorting options are gone. Last night I wanted to view all GTX770, 780 and R9 290, 290x cards... but you can no longer sort on GPU! It's ridiculous.

Whoa, that's weird. I first notice the new searching 2 ? weeks ago I think, and while different I thought it was better because it automatically applied the filters. You could *definitely* search by specific GPU, so not only did they change the search in general, but they have actively removed things that were there when the change began!

rgreen83
Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Count me as another angry customer. I was simply trying to shop for the cheapest decent ssd for my new laptop provided by my employer. In the past this was simple, just filter by size and rating, then sort results by price and decide. 5 minutes or less.

Now the best I can do is filter by form factor (useless since nearly all ssd's are 2.5"). I could sort by controller manufacturer, which I believe is new, but I am not set on a controller type so this is not useful. I could sort by manufacturer, but again, I'm not set on a manufacturer. Apparently newegg is letting other retailers sell through newegg and I can filter by seller, which of course I want newegg, that's why I came here. I am not decided for sure if I want a ~128GB or ~256GB size, and since I can't sort by size I am sorting by pricing from $50 to $200 because I want the most for my money regardless of size.

After all of this, I am left with still 159 results to sort through. Result, give up and go to amazon.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:03 pm

I ended up at the U.S. version of NCIX. It's not as flashy and pretty as Newegg, but it has the right search options and good pricing. Overall it was easy to find the ~$1,800 of hardware I needed to order and I found /exactly/ what I wanted. This was my first time buying through NCIX (though I have all of my Canadian friends and family shop there) and I was a happy customer.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I really can't believe Newegg did this. So disappointing. And it has to be a decision from the top because it is everywhere on every category. No more advanced search option at all. Only power search with limited choices and the stupid new categories on the left. But those categories are useless for each item. Motherboards with no chipset category, video cards with no gpu, hdds with no capacity??? How could something like this be implemented without anyone having the courage to speak up and say how bad and inconvenient it is? Newegg, you have truly lost your way and forgotten what made you the best. I will not buy another thing from them until they fix this.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:41 pm

People still use that awful place for shopping? :o :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people