tips/suggestions for first-time computer building?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:00 pm

I just finished putting my first do it yourself computer (after nearly going in shock when my dad decided to each cruncy potato chips while I installed the CPU heatsink...). I've heard of people talking about "burning in" their computer for like 72 hours before doing anything. What does that mean? is there anything else I should do like this "burning in" before I start doing a lot of stuff?

Thanks for the help, and tolerating this probably obvious question.
Taybon
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:48 pm

For a long time it was considered good practice to "burn in" a computer when overclocking to improve stability. I have never found it nessisary to do this. Just go ahead and start playing with your computer. It is a good idea, however, (IMHO) to go and get a program like 3dMark or Sisoft Sandra and benchmark your system pretty heavily for a little while. This will help make sure that none of your new hardware has any hidden defects (like an IDE controller that corrupts data). Anyhow, good luck.

Peace, will
Max: "It seems these evil men will never begin to understand our peaceful nature."
Sam: "Hope they figure it out pretty quick. My trigger finger is blistering."
-- Sam & Max, the Freelance Police
Prelude
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:33 pm

I never used a burn in period, however, I did not partake in overclocking until I was sure that there were no issues with any of my hardware or software.

Besides most hardware is run for some time before a consumer recieves it, thus makeing a "burn-in" period usless.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Return to The Back Porch