Xbox One hard Drive micro rant

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Xbox One hard Drive micro rant

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 am

This has been an itch for me since this console has been released. The internet seems to be loaded with articles about how the hard drive in the xbox one "is" replaceable with "off the shelf parts" but will void the warranty. We yes, you can replace it. Will it work though? Nope! The hard drive is just as replaceable in the Xbox One as it is in the ORIGINAL Xbox from 2001 with "off the shelf parts". Yet it seems no online reviewer remembers that console... it could be because they were eight when it was out? Regardless, the amount of false news on this drive replacement hurts.
I know the 360 has been out eight years already, and it had a replaceable drive, but the Xbox one does not. Just like its original founding father, Microsoft went back to the internal drive layout.

Come on reviewers. Your stupidity hurts in that I'm going to have to tell little CoD playing 13 year olds no, they all lied to you.

EDIT: The original box required modding to work with a replacement, I forgot to add that in here. Now with the One dependent on so much internet activity, modding/replacing will be harder, but still possible with the correct mods in place. However, the simple "drop in" replacement is a no no.
Remember these days?: http://www.instructables.com/id/Origina ... e-Upgrade/
i7-2600k (4.1Ghz), 16GB DDR3-1600, 6970 2GB, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Recon3D Audio (PCI-E), WD 1TB Black (os/programs), WD 2TB Green (games), WD 3TB Green (movies/music), Win 8.1 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance mixes and other goodies! linserv.biz.tm
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Location: Somewhere in a land the doctor says does not exist...

Re: Xbox One hard Drive micro rant

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am

Well, it is physically replaceable... Just like the Lite-On BD drive (with its custom firmware and BIOS chip) :wink: But I agree - most of the gaming sites and "blogs" have extremely narrow-minded and technically inept writers who only care about character quota and do not even try to understand that such hardware is extremely tied to custom software with various DRM and encryption mechanisms and that Microsoft is not the type of company which would allow such modifications to be free :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am

ClickClick5 wrote:This has been an itch for me since this console has been released. The internet seems to be loaded with articles about how the hard drive in the xbox one "is" replaceable with "off the shelf parts" but will void the warranty. We yes, you can replace it. Will it work though? Nope! The hard drive is just as replaceable in the Xbox One as it is in the ORIGINAL Xbox from 2001 with "off the shelf parts". Yet it seems no online reviewer remembers that console... it could be because they were eight when it was out? Regardless, the amount of false news on this drive replacement hurts.
I know the 360 has been out eight years already, and it had a replaceable drive, but the Xbox one does not. Just like its original founding father, Microsoft went back to the internal drive layout.

Come on reviewers. Your stupidity hurts in that I'm going to have to tell little CoD playing 13 year olds no, they all lied to you.

EDIT: The original box required modding to work with a replacement, I forgot to add that in here. Now with the One dependent on so much internet activity, modding/replacing will be harder, but still possible with the correct mods in place. However, the simple "drop in" replacement is a no no.

You chide people for not being accurate but you don't support your claims with any evidence. Where is your proof that a replacement drive requires "modding"?
deathBOB
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 am

deathBOB wrote:
ClickClick5 wrote:This has been an itch for me since this console has been released. The internet seems to be loaded with articles about how the hard drive in the xbox one "is" replaceable with "off the shelf parts" but will void the warranty. We yes, you can replace it. Will it work though? Nope! The hard drive is just as replaceable in the Xbox One as it is in the ORIGINAL Xbox from 2001 with "off the shelf parts". Yet it seems no online reviewer remembers that console... it could be because they were eight when it was out? Regardless, the amount of false news on this drive replacement hurts.

You chide people for not being accurate but you don't support your claims with any evidence. Where is your proof that a replacement drive requires "modding"?

$10 in paypal, go replace it. I'll wait.
EDIT: I would be VERY surprised, flabbergasted even if Microsoft allowed the hard drive to just be effortlessly swapped out. The drive is an internal warranty breaking drive for a reason. Microsoft has done this with the past two generations: 2001, Xbox: Internal 8GB WD or 10GB Seagate drive, locked by console's motherboard. 2005, 360: "Replaceable" drive, but the hard drive signature is coded into the operating system forcing you to buy an overpriced Microsoft part (the filesystem was also a newer version of the FATX used on the original xbox). Even if the new xbox one is plain NTFS, there is going to be something there that keeps the drive from being swapped out. Either by serial number, drive signature, specific partition layouts, or a ghost boot file or partition, something in the metadata, something somewhere, Microsoft has locked the drive to that system.
Sony lets you replace the drive in the PS3/4 but the system then takes full control of the drive. It is formatted in an off form of ext3/4 and then the drive is encrypted with the consoles serial number using XTS-AES-128 or AES-CBC-128/AES-CBC-192 depending on the model, locking it to that machine.
i7-2600k (4.1Ghz), 16GB DDR3-1600, 6970 2GB, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Recon3D Audio (PCI-E), WD 1TB Black (os/programs), WD 2TB Green (games), WD 3TB Green (movies/music), Win 8.1 Pro x64
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 am

Microsoft has said that they will enable (at some point in the future) external hard drives for additional storage. Most of the major reviews I've seen compare the external-hd support of the One versus the internal-replacement support of the PS4, but none that I've seen have claimed the One's internal drive is user replaceable.
cobalt
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:49 am

cobalt wrote:Microsoft has said that they will enable (at some point in the future) external hard drives for additional storage. Most of the major reviews I've seen compare the external-hd support of the One versus the internal-replacement support of the PS4, but none that I've seen have claimed the One's internal drive is user replaceable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=replace ... 3&ie=UTF-8
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 am

deathBOB wrote:

For you sir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIS25YBVw50
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am

Yea... Even if you can clone the contents it is highly unlikely you will be able to boot from it due to firmware version mismatch (or the lack of some custom value from original firmware). Hopefully someone will be able to figure out how to "dump" the original HDD's firmware, mod it and write it to different, larger capacity HDD. And even if that will work - there is still a possibility to get a permanent system "ban" from Xbox Live due to unauthorized firmware modifications (just because MS allowed it with XBox360 doesn't mean they will allow the same with XBOne).
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 am

ClickClick5 wrote:
cobalt wrote:Microsoft has said that they will enable (at some point in the future) external hard drives for additional storage. Most of the major reviews I've seen compare the external-hd support of the One versus the internal-replacement support of the PS4, but none that I've seen have claimed the One's internal drive is user replaceable.

I realize some news sites are reporting that the HDD in the One is a standard 2.5" format (as if this were shocking), and that you can access it. And a couple places even imply that it will work if you do it -- and on this point, I wholeheartedly agree with your rant that this last step is irresponsible reporting, since it doesn't actually work.

My point was a bit different, though: of the major articles I've read reviewing the XBox One, none claimed this was an actual feature, or even talked about the possibility replacing it. I'm merely pointing out one positive aspect -- this is a separate news-story making the rounds and doesn't seem to have been taken to heart in the reviews.
cobalt
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:18 pm

cobalt wrote:
ClickClick5 wrote:

I realize some news sites are reporting that the HDD in the One is a standard 2.5" format (as if this were shocking), and that you can access it. And a couple places even imply that it will work if you do it -- and on this point, I wholeheartedly agree with your rant that this last step is irresponsible reporting, since it doesn't actually work.

My point was a bit different, though: of the major articles I've read reviewing the XBox One, none claimed this was an actual feature, or even talked about the possibility replacing it. I'm merely pointing out one positive aspect -- this is a separate news-story making the rounds and doesn't seem to have been taken to heart in the reviews.

True very true. That was my point to with the original xbox. It used a standard ATA/EIDE 3.5 drive and was just as easy to get to (actually easier) then the Xbox One's drive. Yet the internet forces this point as being new and almost never seen before. Which is mostly me being whiny about the internet and the amount of teenage know-it-alls. *deep breath* That being said, it could probably be modded as JohnC said, but time will tell.
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:59 pm

ClickClick5 wrote:That being said, it could probably be modded as JohnC said, but time will tell.

Someone will figure it out, but I expect it to be involved enough to scare off most average users from attempting. The 360 process doesn't exactly look smooth to an end user.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Has anyone bothered to try out the external solution? USB3 far exceeds the performance needs of a spinning disk, and is fast enough for general SSD use. I actually use a crappy Verbatim SATA2 SSD for BF3/BF4 on my gaming laptop without issue, and I have to wonder how well such a solution, using either SSDs, HDDs, or some combination might increase both the storage capacity and the speed of the XB1.

*and on that note, are there any SATA3 or USB3 'hybrid' drives available outside of the actual hybrid drives on the market.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

XBOne does not support external storage yet. Besides, it is a highly undesirable option for many people (like me) - XBOne already comes with plenty of messy wires connecting all of the space-consuming dongles (like external power supply and "Kinect" gimmick) which are already annoying enough, especially if you have plenty of other wired devices connected to TV.
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 pm

But...'the newest consoles are really just PCs'. lol
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 am

No offense, but it was known early this year that the drive situation would not be improved with the Xbox One. Just to pick one that also mentions the external storage option: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:48 am

Microsoft, are you even trying?

You are doing a complete 180 on everything that made the Xbox 360 successful.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 am

Krogoth wrote:Microsoft, are you even trying?

You are doing a complete 180 on everything that made the Xbox 360 successful.

I have been trying to find the quote from Sony, but when asked what happens when the 500GB drive gets full, they said something like "...delete the game install from an older game to free up space for the new game. Or if space becomes an issue, upgrade the easy to replace hard drive." (loose paraphrasing)

It seems Microsoft is doing this revision to the statement: "..delete the game install from an older game to free up space for the new game. Or if space becomes an issue, purchase our overpriced easy to setup external drive."

Which the space on the original Xbox never really became an issue, yet at the same time, most games did not have DLC. The box also had three ~755MB temp cache partitions, (X,Y,Z) where it would cache game info (if the game was programmed to do so) and the system would in total, keep three games cached. Now this would/could have worked for the One, say set three partitions at 10GB each. This would allow the game maker to "install" a 10GB part of the game, and read the data from the cache/disc. Some what like what the 360/PS3 can do, but not as space demanding as full installs.
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch