Greetings from thirty three thousand feet...

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Greetings from thirty three thousand feet...

Postposted on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm a pretty big nerd.... Ok, my wife says I'm a completely hopeless, hard core nerd...

Even so, for the first time I'm connected to wifi on an airplane. And, other than the fact that it is a bit expensive, its pretty decent. I had to take an unexpected trip to Pittsburgh today and I'm catching up on work on the flight. Ok, so right now I'm taking a break from catching up on work. :D

How big a nerd am I? In my luggage is a 100Mhz digital oscilloscope, a DVM, and a complete set of circuit boards for a custom FPGA coprocessor. I'm headed out to a customer to due an emergency parts swap. Oh, and the scope and DVM are my personal gear since I couldn't exactly get the Agilent from the office in my luggage. :wink:

Oh well, back to work.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Greetings from thirty three thousand feet...

Postposted on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 pm

How much is expensive?
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

StuG wrote:How much is expensive?

I think it was $12 for 90 minutes, $12.95 for the entire flight, or $15 for the day. Note that it is a calendar day, not 24 hours. 24 hours would have been good as my return flight is tomorrow afternoon and would have been within the 24 hour window. I opted for 90 minutes since the flight is only a bit over two hours to begin with. Plus, since its going on the expense report, expensive is a relative term.

Time to shutdown for landing. :)

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:41 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:How big a nerd am I?

Apparently not so big a nerd that you could not successfully grok the whole get a wife process. :lol:
MarkG509
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Bandwidth can be decent (particularly if you aren't competing with a lot of other passengers). But the latency tends to be terrible.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:33 am

UberGerbil wrote:Bandwidth can be decent (particularly if you aren't competing with a lot of other passengers). But the latency tends to be terrible.

Latency wasn't too horrible. The delay wasn't enough to make interactive commands over the VPN back to the office painful. It was certainly better than working on a system in India, for example. I don't know what the downlink tech was, but it didn't appear to be satellite. I didn't measure it, but latency was definitely under 250ms. Bandwidth was somewhere between 384k and 512k. Slow, but tolerable.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch