Confusion

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Confusion

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:28 pm

OK, I do love me micro or craft brews, but for day-to-day purposes I tend to stick with macrobrews. Kvetch all you want, but the daily swill has been Labatt Blue for longer than I can remember. Just opened a fresh package and the cans are decorated in honor to USA Hockey. I checked the label, still imported from Canada. I am officially confused. Is this part of a plot to move the Sabres to Hamilton? Just what are those sneaky Canadians up to? Is this Canadian Bacon in reverse? Or is this just Diageo throwing Canada under the bus to sell more beer to 'Mericans?
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Re: Confusion

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:39 pm

USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!

...yeah, I had nothing else to add. Maybe blame NAFTA?
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Scrotos wrote:USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!

Funny you should say that, as this set of cans is dedicated to the Miracle on Ice. Further inspection of the carton reveals that there will be four separate USA Hockey-centric designs. I feel a great thirst coming on.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 pm

My guess is that it's just a weak ploy to increase sales in the US. Sounds pretty cheesy if you ask me. I'd rather see a beer advertise where it's truely from. BTW, never particularly cared for Labatt Blue, but I don't think I've had it for a few years now. My beer tastes tend to evolve and slowly change over time, so these days I might find it slightly more appealing.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Even if the stuff is still made in Canada, there are probably differences between the labeling on the cans sold in Canada and the USA in order to meet regulatory requirements. If they need to use different cans anyway it's easy to do stuff like this for marketing purposes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the recipe and/or brewing process is even tweaked slightly based on the target market, to cater to regional tastes.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote: Kvetch all you want, but the daily swill has been Labatt Blue for longer than I can remember. Just opened a fresh package and the cans are decorated in honor to USA Hockey. I checked the label, still imported from Canada.

It shouldn't be confusing, most of the US hockey players are from Canuck hockey players that married a US woman. It's part of our master plan to assimilate the US.

That said, what a game between Canada and the Slovaks this morning.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 pm

What in the H,E, double hockey sticks is hockey?
So, you guys just sit around drinking beer and watching horses crap out of their butts??

Frickin' hosers.

/Sarcasm
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 pm

zenlessyank wrote:Frickin' hosers.

Take off!.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
zenlessyank wrote:Frickin' hosers.

Take off!.

No you take off, eh! Don't make me steamroller you!
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 pm

At least Canadians love their homebrews. I'm going to visit a friend and make some brew up there, sadly we cannot figure out how to transport any of my existing brew to Canada. Stupid laws!
keltor
Gerbil First Class

Return to The Back Porch