CES Meltdown

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

CES Meltdown

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3HVdR6rpTM

Wow.....just Wow.

First of all I'm not a big Michael bay fan but seriously he couldn't think of anything to say? I don't know if this is a case of being afraid of speaking to a large crowd or if it's that he has just been exposed because he didn't know anything about the product. "We will pay you big bucks to appear on stage and just read from a script/ teleprompter."

Also FWIW, I thinks Samsung's Curved TV will be an abject failure unless you sit dead center of the thing you wont get the best picture. How many people actually sit dead center?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Re: CES Meltdown

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 am

First of all I'm not a big Michael bay fan but seriously he couldn't think of anything to say?

Michael Bay doesn't do dialog.. he only does BAYSPLOSIONS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ssUivM-eM
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 am

I almost had a panic attack just watching that, I would say poor guy, but he can go wipe his tears with his hundreds of millions.
ColeLT1
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 am

Hitler still hates Michael Bay's Transformers.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

tanker27 wrote:Also FWIW, I thinks Samsung's Curved TV will be an abject failure unless you sit dead center of the thing you wont get the best picture. How many people actually sit dead center?

Point.

Counterpoint: the curve is selectable via remote. Make it flat for an audience viewing, make it curved when you're firing up Forza.

Point: But this thing costs as much as a good car.

Counterpoint: As with many other tradeshows, e.g. SEMA, many of the products are proof-of-concept ideas exagerated to the largest and/or most ludicrous possible aspect in order to draw attention to the product and company.

Point: Fine, but maybe I don't want to pay extra for a TV that curves, regardless of size.

Counterpoint: remember when a 60" flatscreen was nearly unobtanium?
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

"Meltdown" is also the word that The Verge used when they posted it last night, but that was not a meltdown. I expected cursing and kicking and screaming and got none of that. 1/10 would not watch again.

ColeLT1 wrote:I almost had a panic attack just watching that, I would say poor guy, but he can go wipe his tears with his hundreds of millions.

That's where I am with it. I almost felt awful for him for a minute, but then I remembered that it's Michael Bay.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I wouldn't call that a meltdown, I was expecting him to freak out and start screaming and throw things around with the word "meltdown" bring thrown around.

Yawn
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

CES is always good for a bit of lulz. I'd agree that the press is trying hard to make this into more than it is--I too was expecting some good old fashioned verbal mayhem upon reading the headlines--but it's amusing for what it is.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 pm

The media coverage is probably far bigger than it would have been, because he walked off in a bit of a huff.

So I imagine they are quite pleased with him.
willg
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:45 am

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch