Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: TR BBQ ~XI~ Official Thread (7/19/14)

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:36 am

We were taking our kids camping when they were just a few months old. If they get accustomed to it from an early age it's no big deal.

That said, I'm sure I speak for all of us who are planning to camp out when I say "Thank you for not attempting your two-year-old's first camping experience at the BBQ!" :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 am

drfish wrote:
Saturday Early Afternoon - Main Event 7/19
You know the drill, show up between 11:00 and 1:00 and be ready to feast around 2:00.

Really? I can show up at 11? Sweet. This year is going to be soooo much easier. ;)

Bah, who am I kidding? I will be up before dawn like I always am. ;)

Also I am fairly sure I will be a +1 if it matter. Though it will be a different +1. ;)
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 pm

zgirl wrote:
drfish wrote:
You know the drill, show up between 11:00 and 1:00 and be ready to feast around 2:00.

Bah, who am I kidding? I will be up before dawn like I always am. ;))

Yeah I'll probably be around as well. We can get early practice for the tournament again.
Mind my grammar as you will explode!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:31 pm

zgirl wrote:
drfish wrote:

Really? I can show up at 11? Sweet. This year is going to be soooo much easier. ;)

Bah, who am I kidding? I will be up before dawn like I always am. ;)

Also I am fairly sure I will be a +1 if it matter. Though it will be a different +1. ;)

Well, last summer, I got to sleep around 1, and at 5AM, wasn't it? The blowtorch ignited. :P

My first impulse was to whine and gripe, and then this mysterious little "maturity" thing I'd never heard from before pointed out that you probably hadn't slept much more, and you were dressed and in another location and beginning food prep, and I completely and totally lost the impulse to gripe. It was mysterious and magical. ;) Then I think I fell back asleep for another hour or two. This year I'll aim to sack out earlier, maybe be capable of lending a hand at startup time.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:55 am

SHOES wrote:
If you have not seen the fireworks show we put on its quite an event! We do the fireworks ON the beach while you watch at eye level (from the deck above) with the aerial breaks over lake Michigan. I will not have as much expendable income this year for fireworks, we just bought a house! If you are interested in contributing I would like to do it a little differently this time around. Instead of asking for pledges I would ask that you simply PayPal me prior to the event so I do not have to guess/front any significant amount of money. It does not take much if everyone chips in to put on a heck of a show so dont hesitate to throw in even just $5(trust me it adds up quick). Please simply PayPal me with the message BBQ FIREWORKS @ [email protected] and your money will go straight to making big booms and pretty sparks for the fireworks show on the beach!

Hey everyone, we need a little more attention to this message. Fireworks contributions are looking a little light this year so if you want to see a big show (or just want to help attendees see a big show) please consider sending SHOES a few bucks to help make it happen. We're going to pick a date for a drive down to Indiana to buy our supply really soon and get the good stuff before the 4th empties their stock. :D

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 am

Good point. Fireworks were epic last year, let's do that again!

Shoes - If I can toss in some extra, do the places you hit have plain old bottle rockets? I haven't seen any in 20-25 years, and would love to get some to smuggle home.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 am

drfish wrote:
Hey everyone, we need a little more attention to this message. Fireworks contributions are looking a little light this year so if you want to see a big show (or just want to help attendees see a big show) please consider sending SHOES a few bucks to help make it happen. We're going to pick a date for a drive down to Indiana to buy our supply really soon and get the good stuff before the 4th empties their stock.

We're coming up from Indiana Saturday morning. If you have issues getting there let me know and maybe we can help.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:13 am

I'm guessing we'll make our run within the next couple weeks but if we leave something unbought that we regret later I'll let you know! :o

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Forge wrote:
Well, last summer, I got to sleep around 1, and at 5AM, wasn't it? The blowtorch ignited.

My first impulse was to whine and gripe, and then this mysterious little "maturity" thing I'd never heard from before pointed out that you probably hadn't slept much more, and you were dressed and in another location and beginning food prep, and I completely and totally lost the impulse to gripe. It was mysterious and magical. ;) Then I think I fell back asleep for another hour or two. This year I'll aim to sack out earlier, maybe be capable of lending a hand at startup time.

Lol and you have to consider the fact I am usually up to around midnight both Wednesday and Thursday prepping ribs ahead of time. 18 slabs is a lot of work trimming and seasoning them. I usually put in 5 hours a night on that to get them ready.

Early does not take much it is me cooking(I do appreciate the offer). It is the setup later I try to get others to do. It just gets to be a lot of items to manage by myself.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:33 am

I'm placing the order for trophies this weekend, last call to make your suggestions. I just ordered more glowsticks and the paper lanterns. :D

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

Here are the memes for the trophies... They aren't ordered yet so if you think they suck and you don't say anything you only have yourself to blame!

1st "So Cornhole. Very Toss. Wow."
2nd "Do you even toss?"
3rd "Ermahgerd, therd plahse"

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 am

Right now its looking iffy for me. My brother may go without me though.
Stay tuned.

P.S. For the fireworks, remember all the prices drop right after Independence day, as they wanna deplete a lot of extra stock.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm a no-go. :(

I blame work.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Bummer! :(

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:06 am

Forge wrote:
I'm a no-go. :(

I blame work.

Boo!! Gonna miss some good times.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:49 am

31 days!!! Can I officially go into panic mode now? :o :D :wink:

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:35 am

A month away?! Oh geez. Well, since no one wanted to partner up on the beach house I should get to booking a hotel. Any suggestions?

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:39 am

There are a few, since this is a big vacation spot for Michigan most are in really good shape. All of these are within a reasonable driving distance.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 am

zgirl wrote:
There are a few, since this is a big vacation spot for Michigan most are in really good shape. All of these are within a reasonable driving distance.

I've been at the Hampton Inn on the north side of Holland and the Microtel Inn on the south side. The Microtel is aptly named with tiny rooms. The Hampton is a Hampton and I'll be back there again this year. It sits in a cluster of hotels off of US 31 north of Business 196.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

fredsnotdead
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 pm

I've been thinking about attending for the past couple years. Not really into camping, the wife & surly teenager even less so, don't even have a tent, so would have to get a room at one of the fine establishments in the map linked to above. Any recommendations keeping in mind that I'm cheap and I'd want it for 3 nights as it's a pretty long drive from central PA?

Also, are attendees expected/encouraged to bring anything? I'd guess chairs and table would be a good idea. I could bring some local brews e.g. Troegs, Yards, or Victory.
<this is a placeholder for the clever signature to be added later>

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

As mentioned just above the "cluster" of hotels on Felch near 31 are probably the best bet. I'll start the who's bringing what list soon but tables and chairs are always welcome. Bring some brews and you'll be warmly welcomed. :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:53 pm

drfish wrote:
As mentioned just above the "cluster" of hotels on Felch near 31 are probably the best bet. I'll start the who's bringing what list soon but tables and chairs are always welcome. Bring some brews and you'll be warmly welcomed. :)

A: You know what I'm bringing. I'll even keep Gleek happy. A/K/A table, chairs, VT beers, and SpudZilla.

B: The town really needs to change the name of that street.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:45 am

fredsnotdead wrote:
Also, are attendees expected/encouraged to bring anything? I'd guess chairs and table would be a good idea. I could bring some local brews e.g. Troegs, Yards, or Victory.

Extra chairs are a good idea. Local brews are always good. :wink: I'm sure a side or dessert would also be welcome, but need to coordinate so that 10 people don't all bring potato salad! :lol:

I'm sure drfish will post some updates in this thread as we get closer, indicating what he still thinks he needs.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:38 pm

I had no idea what I should bring last year, so I brought a case of Mexican Coca-Cola and it seemed well received. Brought some long forks from the local camping supply for marshmallows and dogs, and those got well-used, too. Since you're coming almost as far as I did, I would think about cookout/camping things that are light and compact. Folding camping chairs were all over the place last year, as well. I'd bring at least as many as you're bringing butts to fill them.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:21 pm

I'll kick off the who's bringing what list this weekend. One month to go!!! :o

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm

FYI, all the beds in the cottage and bunkhouse are now spoken for. If you plan on staying on the premises Friday and/or Saturday night and haven't already confirmed with me that you have a room then bring a tent!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Trophies!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:09 am

drfish wrote:
Here are the memes for the trophies...

1st "So Cornhole. Very Toss. Wow."
2nd "Do you even toss?"
3rd "Ermahgerd, therd plahse"

All your phrases are great - funny stuff, current meme trends, yeah! /me claps

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:28 am

2014 Tie Dye ordered.

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:30 pm

SHOES - I'll have $100 cash for fireworks this year.

Travel plans sorted; see you guys in a bit!
Last edited by eitje on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.