Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~XI~ Official Thread (7/19/14)

Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm

^ Listen to this guy, he makes the show happen! Throw some money at him please!

Edit: Ugh! It would be the last post of the previous page. Read it and PayPal SHOES some cash for fireworks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

My potential conflict did not materialize (actually it is the weekend prior). So I can probably make it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 19, 2014 8:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My potential conflict did not materialize (actually it is the weekend prior). So I can probably make it.

I will be sure to bring some Heady Topper.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Using multiple routers as a WDS halves the bandwidth at each link, though, so it's entirely possible to be getting 1Mbps or so at the beach, and then divide that by the number of devices talking, times 2. Could be quite ugly.

If I make it this year, I'll bring my tent, sleeping bag, etc. Won't need house, just a chunk of yard or beach (JBI was on the beach, wasn't he? Seemed comfortable.) I may even go full on cowboy and just go for blanket+tarp on the beach.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Forge wrote:
Using multiple routers as a WDS halves the bandwidth at each link, though, so it's entirely possible to be getting 1Mbps or so at the beach, and then divide that by the number of devices talking, times 2. Could be quite ugly.

If I make it this year, I'll bring my tent, sleeping bag, etc. Won't need house, just a chunk of yard or beach (JBI was on the beach, wasn't he? Seemed comfortable.) I may even go full on cowboy and just go for blanket+tarp on the beach.

I was going to do beach last year, then opted for the yard instead.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Hmm. Gleek, fire balloons, and tents made of flammable nylon (or derivatives)? I'll pass on the beach.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Hmm. Gleek, fire balloons, and tents made of flammable nylon (or derivatives)? I'll pass on the beach.

In my case it was mostly a matter of not feeling like hauling the tent and sleeping bag down the stairs to the beach (for those of you who haven't been there, it's a longer and steeper slope than you'd expect!) in the dark after drinking copious amounts of fermented malt beverages. The thought of everything being full of sand afterwards was also a (minor) deterrent. If the weather is supposed to be nice this year maybe I will bring the tent down ahead of time and set it off to the side until after the festivities wind down, eliminating the main reason I opted not to sleep on the beach last year.

J'Tok
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 21, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm excited! My girlfriend and I will actually be able to go this year. I've intended to several times in the past, but I just lived too far away for it to be convenient. :D

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed May 21, 2014 11:16 pm

If I didn't have a kid with a history of sleepwalking, I'd think about the beach. Since I do, I think I'll stick to the hotel
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu May 22, 2014 8:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I will be sure to bring some Heady Topper.

Awesome! Bring a 6'er of that (or more) - I'll chip in $ for it... Also if you can obtain any other Alchemist beers (Beelzebub, Focal Banger, Holy Cow, and The Crusher). Thanks!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 22, 2014 8:12 am

thegleek wrote:
Awesome! Bring a 6'er of that (or more) - I'll chip in $ for it... Also if you can obtain any other Alchemist beers (Beelzebub, Focal Banger, Holy Cow, and The Crusher). Thanks!

It's only sold in 4-packs and most places have a limit of 2. The stuff just flies out the door. The rest of their beers are keg-only.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu May 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
It's only sold in 4-packs and most places have a limit of 2. The stuff just flies out the door. The rest of their beers are keg-only.

Ah I thought they sold the other brands in limited quantities. Oh well. From now until the BBQ, just purchase 2 4-packs daily and bring em all when ya get here! TOGA! TOGA!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 pm

thegleek wrote:
Ah I thought they sold the other brands in limited quantities.

Focal Banger will be the next to come out in cans and might happen before I drive out. Will grab some if it shows up. I did find on the website places that sell case lots, though this is only likely available on the delivery day (which is conveniently posted for each and every retail outlet receiving Alchemist products).

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2014 4:01 pm

52 days and counting. :o I'm going to try and make time to wrangle this thread this week, I swear. Please continue to post your "yes I'm coming" or "no I have better things to do" confirmations, I'll be summarizing them into the classic attendee lists soon. Once those are formed I'll switch to asking people to post what food and/or other BBQ support items they will be bringing. Please also let me know if you need a room for the night or not, so far 3 beds are confirmed spoken for out of 7.

I mentioned that counting on a Friday night thing at my house again might not be the best idea but I would like to have some kind of official place for folks to gather on Friday if they are in town. Due to the sporadic nature of the arrival times involved maybe somewhere lower key than New Holland would be a good idea? Of course we could just start everything early and do pizza or whatever at the cottage since that's where some people will be staying Friday anyway... Speak up, let's make a plan. :D

One more thing, I know I said I was going to skip the raft last year but ended up having something of a stand-in anyway but this year I really think I'm going to skip it. Ian kindly left his store bought raft last year and since his kids are the primary users anyway I think I might call that good enough. I've got a feeling the water is not going to be very friendly anyway since this thing is happening nearly a month earlier than normal.

I've said it before but this year I really want to focus on the fundamentals, food, people, bean bags, fireworks/lanterns, wifi coverage, and maybe live streaming if enough people say they want to watch. ;)

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Sounds like fun..money is so tight this year. But you never know.
If I can make it with the wife I will be just pitching a tent where ever I am allowed. I am the outdoorsy type so a quick early morning dip in the cold lake is plenty for me to get cleaned up "I might even bring a bar of ivory soap" My wife is another story...but I have talked her into worse:)

What kind of drive time we looking at going from the south Philadelphia suburbs to the get together. I am totally guessing around 16-20hrs non stop?

Takes me around 5hrs to get to i80 north of Pittsburgh to St Mary's PA where I go deer hunting and another guess I would be around a hour from the Ohio line if I kept cruising on I80 .

Stop talking bad about subarus....they are really good cars. I miss my 2000 outback I sold to my neighbor that is still driving around 5 years later and looks good still. To think I kept my fathers 2000 chevy Silverado 1500 over that car still urks me.
I would probably be driving up in a 2006 4 banger Camry. The truck just eats too much gas unless I was to bring my great danes. They both love water, but it is not a good idea since I do not fully trust my 170lb 8yr old male with kids. That's what happens when school kids tease a dog. Plus The way he loves water he would be scratching up everyone in the water.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 28, 2014 4:57 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Sounds like fun..money is so tight this year. But you never know.
If I can make it with the wife I will be just pitching a tent where ever I am allowed. I am the outdoorsy type so a quick early morning dip in the cold lake is plenty for me to get cleaned up "I might even bring a bar of ivory soap" My wife is another story...but I have talked her into worse:)

What kind of drive time we looking at going from the south Philadelphia suburbs to the get together. I am totally guessing around 16-20hrs non stop?

Takes me around 5hrs to get to i80 north of Pittsburgh to St Mary's PA where I go deer hunting and another guess I would be around a hour from the Ohio line if I kept cruising on I80 .

Stop talking bad about subarus....they are really good cars. I miss my 2000 outback I sold to my neighbor that is still driving around 5 years later and looks good still. To think I kept my fathers 2000 chevy Silverado 1500 over that car still urks me.
I would probably be driving up in a 2006 4 banger Camry. The truck just eats too much gas unless I was to bring my great danes. They both love water, but it is not a good idea since I do not fully trust my 170lb 8yr old male with kids. That's what happens when school kids tease a dog. Plus The way he loves water he would be scratching up everyone in the water.

I plonked Media, PA into Google Maps and came up with 726 miles/11 hours. Midway point is just your side of Youngstown. I do 900 miles each way so I split it and stay in Erie, PA on both trips. The endless vineyards of Western New York are enough to put one to sleep.

No need to talk to me about Subies (especially turbo Subies). I'm on my 3rd for a total of 13 years and 310K miles (115K on current '10 LGT) and have never had an unscheduled mechanical repair, just body dings caused by my stupidity or an errant animal. Oil changes and regular maintenance only. You'll be seeing it there in July.

Oh, and a Great Dane on the beach stairs would be a real mess.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 pm

OMG trophies! We need to decide what taglines to put on them this year! Suggestions? Theme?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm

"I drove all the way to Holland, MI and all I got was this lousy trophy"

:D :D

DashTrash
Gerbil

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:23 am

Well, its official, I have the day off. Put me down +1.

Just brew it - I love wheat beers! Bringing any samples?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 am

Sweet! I'm planning on building the attendee list today. I just did a small first post update for the timeline of the weekend.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

DashTrash wrote:
Well, its official, I have the day off. Put me down +1.

Just brew it - I love wheat beers! Bringing any samples?

There will be beer, but I have not brewed a wheat beer lately, and I will not have time to brew anything new until at least mid-month (I am out of town most of next week). Will probably be bringing a mix homebrew that is already in the cellar and commercial microbrews, though I may have time to squeeze in another quick batch. Wheat beers are best consumed young anyway, so that actually works -- will consider it if I have time!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Ok, I took a crack at the attendee list, check it out and if you think you're on the wrong list let me know!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:25 pm

I know it's early, but are we parking across the street again?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:24 pm

I think so but that is on my list to confirm soon!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:16 am

We need more meme suggestions for the trophies! What three phrases capture the essence of last year? What should be on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place?

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 am

drfish wrote:
We need more meme suggestions for the trophies! What three phrases capture the essence of last year? What should be on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place?

"You make my Software into HARDware"

"Sheldon is the greatest man in the world"

"Its from my pants..Oh God!"

Really this is difficult. I can not be creative this early in the morning give me a few to update.
Mind my grammar as you will explode!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 am

"Trophies are even better then KY Jelly!" :lol:

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 am

Count me and the wife as on board for sure. I need to find a hotel, though, since no one wants to share the rental beach house I found.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:49 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Count me and the wife as on board for sure. I need to find a hotel, though, since no one wants to share the rental beach house I found.

Wife's not the camping type, eh?

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 am

Oh goodness, no. She isn't even a fan of the back yard! In her defense, the ticks are bad this year. Not only that, we have a 2 year old. I'm not sure how well that would go over trying to get her to sleep.