TR BBQ ~XI~ Official Thread (7/19/14)

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: TR BBQ ~XI~ Official Thread (7/19/14)

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:42 am

Dposcorp wrote:
eitje wrote:Posting up to say that I'm having to cancel on this year's trip. That frees up a fouton @ the beach house, for any singles that need a sleeping spot.

Also, someone else is going to need to run the bracketing & board creation this year. ;)

I share in your sadness. My stuff keeping me from attending this year is beyond my control..........almost anything else I could have worked around. <sigh>

Both of you will be sadly missed... :cry:
SHOES
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:39 am

I've filled in a few more items on the list myself, still looking for more people to bring drinks and ice.

Also, holy crap Amazon gets a lot of my money. ;)
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:56 am

Alright, big post coming, please pay attention, will link to this post from the first post and in the PMs I'll send shortly.

I ran out to the cottage this morning to check on things and figure out a plan for parking, let's talk about parking first.

PARKING:
As mentioned we cannot park at Kamp Kiwanis this year so we are limited to about 12 cars that can reasonably fit in the cottage driveway (I think we need room for 50-75% more). There is another area to park though, it is down the street at the very end of James - it's a small public beach access area where parking is allowed from 7AM to 10PM. If you plan on leaving before 10PM please park there! If you want to help me worry less about parking please park there. If you are coming on Friday night and have the chance to move your car before things really get going on Saturday, please park there! Thank you! This is a link to a video I made of the drive from the parking area to the cottage, it should be about a five minute walk. Of course come to the cottage first to unload your goods!

Picture of parking area on James:

THE BEACH:
There isn't much of it! :lol:

Thankfully we have a much higher water level in the lake this year but it ends up meaning that most of the exposed sand is now underwater and the area for the firepit had to be carved out of the beach grass. Should still be a great place to round up everyone for hot dogs and smores after the fireworks but one of my projects this week will be to come up with a place to make sure we can launch fireworks without them getting wet right near the shore.
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 am

What is our rough head count right now(the +family is not always easy to count)?

I ask because Tuesday is shopping day and with so many gerbils dropping out I may reduce my amounts a bit. Do not worry there will be plenty but i purchased up last year since I knew a big number was coming. Sadly it does not look like we will see those types of numbers this year.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Me, wife and 5 (!) kids of varying ages. Hope that's OK.

Fish, I'll text you Saturday morning or Friday night and see what's needed for us to bring. Last year, I brought firewood which I can easily do again, then whatever else is needed last minute.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:29 pm

My family is a wife and 2 year old.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm guessing attendance will be around 35-40 adults with a dozen or so kids.

I spent some time at the cottage tonight setting up the "live-stream" for this year. It might crash and burn if too many people use it but we'll see what happens. The cameras aren't in very interesting places right now but if you want to check them out go to the addresses below and use "trbbq" as the username and "wassoncup" as the password.

http://trbbq.dyndns.org:81/
http://trbbq.dyndns.org:82/

Let me know what you think! I'm might setup a 3rd camera as well. I'm thinking one by the eating area, one by the Cornhole tourney and another looking out at the lake if I can get a signal out that far.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:56 am

Captain Ned wrote:Gleek will be happy. I acquired 16 lovely pint cans of Heady Topper on the way home from work today. Finding this stuff is tough and depends on timing. It never lasts more than 2 hours in any store where it's stocked.

WOW. That is such a pleasant discovery!!! I just got back from a trip from Wisconsin and I'll bring my fair share of New Glarus fruit beers made in heaven with me!

I can't recall if JBI was in or out this year... Who's going to drink all this beer with me?!

eitje wrote:Posting up to say that I'm having to cancel on this year's trip. That frees up a fouton @ the beach house, for any singles that need a sleeping spot.

Also, someone else is going to need to run the bracketing & board creation this year. ;)

What can I/we do to change your mind?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:26 am

I see a few people checked the camera. How did it look? I'd love to stress test them a little before the BBQ and see how they hold up... I have my doubts since there isn't a proxy involved but we don't get much traffic typically so it might be fine. For those that haven't logged in this is what it looks like, it has pan and tilt controls built into the GUI BTW so that's fairly cool.

drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:07 am

@thegleek - I will be there!

@drfish - How about I bring some bottled water in addition to the beer?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 am

I always bring a slab of water and usually listen to most of it slide back & forth in the cooler while on the Adirondack twisties on the way home.

I'll also bring a brace of chairs and my handy camp table.

Oh, and Gleek, at 9% ABV and pint cans, I find my limit to be about 2 Heady Toppers. You better like your hops because it starts hoppy, finishes hoppy, and burps hoppy.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 am

My boyfriend and I will be attending for sure. I invited several other friends since I no longer live in MI and haven't seen my MI friends for months, but I don't think too many people will actually be able to make it out of the half dozen or so that I invited (tried to invite the geekier ones, so they'd fit in better lol). One friend and his brother are mostly confirmed, but they will be around after the main BBQ food, more for fireworks and campfire time (If they can find the cottage this year.. somehow they got lost for 2 hours last year looking for it, despite them having been brought out there several times outside of the BBQ!)

We'll bring chairs for ourselves, and hopefully fill in some areas of the missing items. I would like to be able to bring a veggie tray and maybe Mama Fish and I can make some sort of dessert (puppy chow, rice krispie treats, her superb cookies..?) before we arrive. Perhaps some gatorade too? I'd bring Iowa sweet corn, but it's not really ready yet, I guess :/

To give you less of a panic attack, Dr. Fish, we'll be sure to park down on James St. too :)
sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks sis!

I should mention that Mrs. Fish is cooking up a big surprise for the kids in attendance... :D
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 am

I'll be there with the entire family this year... which includes my better half and three youngins. We're driving separately from Damage and should probably arrive just in time for the meal. So... maybe it would be best to grab a dessert-y item from a grocery store on the way through Holland?
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis
Inkling
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 am

drfish wrote:I see a few people checked the camera. How did it look? I'd love to stress test them a little before the BBQ and see how they hold up... I have my doubts since there isn't a proxy involved but we don't get much traffic typically so it might be fine. For those that haven't logged in this is what it looks like, it has pan and tilt controls built into the GUI BTW so that's fairly cool.

I did not try the panning controls. What happens if everyone is going a different direction on those? :o

Since there was not much going on, the relative static image doesn't lend to much stress testing though. I am not sure what else we can do to: a) get more people hitting your link at the same time, timezone issues notwithstanding, and b) for you to do some serious action (throw a couple of bean bags around or some dog/cat jumping up and down? in front of the cams.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:54 am

I'll post the next time I am there and we can try to get a few people on at once. As far as control goes everyone logged in just has to fight it out. :lol: For now I'm happy for confirmation that things are stable under light load.

I bought some higher gain antennas to add to the cameras and the router so I can put them in more interesting places by Friday/Saturday.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:01 am

I'll be attending with my wife and 2 children. We're new to Tech Report and the BBQ, but we've known Dr. Fish and fam for quite a while.

We'll be bringing vegetarian grillables.
Rious
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 am

drfish wrote:I see a few people checked the camera. How did it look? I'd love to stress test them a little before the BBQ and see how they hold up... I have my doubts since there isn't a proxy involved but we don't get much traffic typically so it might be fine. For those that haven't logged in this is what it looks like, it has pan and tilt controls built into the GUI BTW so that's fairly cool.

1) Needs more cats
2) You leave your doors/windows open.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, Geforce GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, Radeon 6970, GA-X68XP-UD4
the
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:59 pm

drfish wrote:I'll post the next time I am there and we can try to get a few people on at once. As far as control goes everyone logged in just has to fight it out. :lol: For now I'm happy for confirmation that things are stable under light load.

OK, I tried the controls too. Pretty cool. Can your camera model do IR too? I was looking to see if it can see through anything. :lol:

How much of load is to your machine between the "Server Push" vs "Mobile Phone" modes? I noticed that Server Push mode is smoother if I choose the "patrol mode" auto-panning command, even in Chrome on my phone. Using "Mobile Phone" mode on my phone is not very smooth, but it may be it causes less load on your computer?

BTW do we really need the OMFGWTFTRBBQ ActiveX mode to get audio? I don't think I want IE running even for this. :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Rious wrote:We'll be bringing vegetarian grillables.

There is such a thing? ;) I kid! I have been eating more vegetarian lately and like it but I am still very much a carnivore.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:45 pm

My surprise for the kiddos in attendance is all lined up. Its going to be awesome! Its going to be a big year for kids, so if you were on the fence about inviting the family, you absolutely should!
Mrs drfish
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 pm

:D

I set the cameras up where there is a little more stuff to see and at least different views from each one. I'll try to get one all the way out by the lake on Wednesday or Thursday for a test. I think there will be 3 total.

Yes, these things aren't super modern so for sound you need Active X or a VLC plugin or something. Sorry. :oops: The cameras do have IR so you can see at night pretty well. I think phone mode is a series of static images vs. the others which are MJPEG. Haven't done much bandwidth related testing...

Edit: Also, first post updated with what people are bringing. Pretty much everything critical is covered I think. I'll update the front post again with the login details for the cameras once they've proven themselves in their new locations for 24 hours or so.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:10 pm

BTW, so this happened last night:
Glad we missed that!

Also wanted to share the setup I have going for wifi...

I clamped it up high on the door and left the antennas pointing out in the same direction. I'm not a pro at optimizing this sort of thing since I don't typically have to go for long range so advice would be appreciated.

This is the line of site of the router, it actually has a decent shot to the top of the stairs from where it is. I can get a signal on my laptop way farther than before and that's without my fancy new antennas yet. I think I have a decent shot of getting a camera working from the top of the stairs. :)
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm

thegleek wrote:Who's going to drink all this beer with me?!

I'd be glad to assist :)

Wifi upgrade lookin' good! Was that a septic tank problem Fish?
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Suddenly-dead tree problem (look upper left corner). Have had to carve up a couple myself in the last 2 weeks.

I love my chain saw.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Be there too, drivin in with JBI just like last year.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

The weakest point of an antenna signal is at the top or bottom of it, or so I read.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:06 pm

That's what I assume too - but I've seen a number of diagrams for "omni-directional" antennas that have a fairly narrow cone coming out of the top. The high gain ones I ordered might have a fairly decent chance of acting like that. We'll see what works once I start playing with them.

FroBozz_Inc wrote:Wifi upgrade lookin' good! Was that a septic tank problem Fish?

Not that I can tell. Just glad it went down yesterday instead of this coming Sunday.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:18 pm

I am sad to say that, I wanted to come, but recently just lost my job. So maybe next year. Everyone have fun!
Dizzytaz00
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 am

Sorry to here that. As you say, maybe next year.

Also, if anyone has a AT&T phone number and wants decent reception at the cottage please PM it to me and I will add it to the list on the Microcell I have out there.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch