House of Cards *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

House of Cards *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 am

So there are two shows I am completely enthralled with one being House of Cards. I've always been a Kevin Spacey fan. "WHATS IN THE BOX!!!!!" and Keyser Soze, heh

Anyways, this season for me was a bit too slow, but boy did it have its bombshells. To me the Tusk plot line is very uninteresting. Remy to a point also. But what I can't wrap my head around is Frank and Claire's relationship. Anyone care to dissect it? I have my own thoughts but I am not entirely sure about them.

(oh and that other show, its True Detective, I about jumped up and down when I saw the reference to The King in Yellow. lets just say if you you are a fan.....Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.....)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Re: House of Cards *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 am

Have you finished season one yet? I just started season two and the first episode took me by complete surprise. Bold, bold directing and writing. Man. So good. Easily my favorite show on netflix right now. I started watching Bates Motel as well and it's also very good.

I could tell you more about Frank and Claire's relationship but it might spoil season one if you haven't finished it.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:08 am

I have finished both seasons.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 am

OK so not having finished season two yet...

Claire obviously a strong woman but displays moments of weakness where Frank has not. That's not to say Frank doesn't HAVE weaknesses (Like the teacher's strike debate he royally ****) but that he as a person does not tolerate weakness. He's a man of action, of pragmatism.

Their relationship is one of Trust, but it's a game they play with each other. Claire new well that Frank was **** Zoe barnes, and as a viewer we knew that she and Frank were OK with this as a means to an end. A public mouthpiece they could control for their own gain. Frank trusts that Claire has their combined interests in mind at all times but when Claire feels like her own contributions are being made second to Franks, her weakness shows again as she makes a play through Remy to acquire the funds she needed for her mission, as well as when she deliberately sabotages Frank's bill votes by not persuading the two votes he thought he could count on.

She did this knowing that Frank would understand that she is his equal, his counter part, his female form. She is every bit as ruthless as he is - consider when she fires her number 1 employee and then cancels her health insurance for which her HMO won't provide the medicine she needs to keep her baby alive. She tells her "Don't think for one minute I wouldn't see that baby die inside you" - to accomplish her goals, and to that end, further Frank's.

They both crave ambition and power. They don't seem to care for money or fame, just power. They want to be at the top and they will destroy anyone they have to, to accomplish this. Their shared desire- lust even- for power is at the core of their relationship. They do what they can to help each other but they are both intensely selfish individuals. Frank's end game, one would think, is the Presidency. Claire's is yet to be revealed as far as I know, but she is happy to resign from her post if her former employee will drop the lawsuit, so she exists merely to prop Frank up and advise him.

Their relationship is business-formal, but really it's also one of deep trust - trust without question. I think this is why Claire undermines Frank in season 1, to re-affirm their trust, not just because she's felt like Frank is always ahead of her - he is, but because that is the core tenant of their relationship. She knows he is a killer, she knows he is ruthless. She loves him for it and know's "she'll never be bored" with a man like Frank. Claire is still the weaker character which is made evident by their focusing on her Photographer romance, as well as her menopause, and her need to show Frank that she's as ruthless as he is.

Well those are my thoughts, It'll be interesting to see how season two continues to develop those two, I'm on a few episodes in.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 am

Their relationship has some similarities to a couple that occupied the White House from 1992-2000. ;)

Honestly though, both characters are extremely pragmatic people. They view sex as just another tool, as a means of achieving an end. Frank even says this to Zoe (I couldn't stand her, by the way). Note that you have never seen Frank and Clair have sex, or even really share a physically intimate moment. However, it is clear that they do love each other.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:13 am

@vrock, Yeah that's what I take away from it too. The Meachum thing kinda threw me for a loop as to I don't understand what was to be gained from it. /meh Season 3 should be a doozy though.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 am

I'd agree to a point that sex is a tool of the trade, but Claire has shown vulnerability and doesn't always consider sex a tool. Consider her affair with Adam Galloway. She ran away in semi-secret, she didn't tell her husband where she was going. She had an affair, and probably not her first. She seems torn up until the last second when she realizes she can't have passion/romance and the power she craves too. She has to choose. In a way though, she does get passion through Frank via his assertion of power and control politically, and she wants to be close to that.
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 am

Vrock wrote:Their relationship has some similarities to a couple that occupied the White House from 1992-2000. ;)

Honestly though, both characters are extremely pragmatic people. They view sex as just another tool, as a means of achieving an end. Frank even says this to Zoe (I couldn't stand her, by the way). Note that you have never seen Frank and Clair have sex, or even really share a physically intimate moment. However, it is clear that they do love each other.

Lady in my office looks like Kate Mara so much.. cannot unsee.
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Return to The Back Porch