Guardians of the Galaxy!

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Ok guys, we've finally got it.

http://www.traileraddict.com/guardians- ... xy/trailer

Who's PUMPED!

I could really go for an obscure fire fly, semi self aware action comedy drama!
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm entirely unfamiliar with the comic on which this is based, but I have to say I find it hilarious that DC seems unwilling to test the commercial prospects of a Wonder Woman movie while Marvel is quite happy to go ahead with one co-starring a raccoon.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9971
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Nova Corps as punch-clock beat cops?

Genius.

This could be the next Fifth Element. I'll be lining up on opening night for this.

EDIT: Also, Benicio del Toro as The Collector Space Mugatu? Make that two tickets!
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Obligatory Post:

Image

Image
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

UberGerbil wrote:I'm entirely unfamiliar with the comic on which this is based, but I have to say I find it hilarious that DC seems unwilling to test the commercial prospects of a Wonder Woman movie while Marvel is quite happy to go ahead with one co-starring a raccoon.

Correction, a raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper in addition to a tree-man voiced by Vin Diesel. :lol:

I've never read comic books, but the trailer pretty much sold me on seeing this in theaters.

As for DC, I would understand if they didn't want to do Wonder Woman because they were afraid that they would screw her up, but that's nonsense considering the success of the DC animated success with her, IMO. Then again, DC properties haven't gotten great treatment lately.
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm

superjawes wrote:Correction, a raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper in addition to a tree-man voiced by Vin Diesel. :lol:

I've never read comic books, but the trailer pretty much sold me on seeing this in theaters.

As for DC, I would understand if they didn't want to do Wonder Woman because they were afraid that they would screw her up, but that's nonsense considering the success of the DC animated success with her, IMO. Then again, DC properties haven't gotten great treatment lately.



Other than on TV (thank you the CW), because Arrow is fantastic.

Quietly hopeful for The Flash.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 am

Drax is a strange character. In the predominant version of his story, Thanos received a prophecy he would be killed by Arthur Douglas. He acts pre-emptively to kill douglas and his family. Kronos resurrects him as an avatar "Drax, The Destoryer" who's fate and sole purpose is to combat and eventually kill Thanos. Drax can't really die... He's hellboy/hulk/wolverine all in one, he doesn't have the power of flight or any mental powers(telepathy, etc.) so he slowly trods across the galaxy the old school way on his mission to fulfill his purpose and slay the Mad Titan.

The rest of the Guardians are pretty pedestrian compared to him, lol.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 pm

This movie is on a lot of peoples radar. It's going to be very colorful, lots of action, and a lot of jokes and to make lots of us laugh.I'm so interested of this movie. 8)
I can be your cane sword forever more.
MikeKosa
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:50 am

MikeKosa wrote:This movie is on a lot of peoples radar. It's going to be very colorful, lots of action, and a lot of jokes and to make lots of us laugh.I'm so interested of this movie. 8)


I'm excited because its one of the only major summer block busters this year that doesn't rely on my nostalgia to entertain me. :) It will be like a breath of fresh air.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:14 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
MikeKosa wrote:This movie is on a lot of peoples radar. It's going to be very colorful, lots of action, and a lot of jokes and to make lots of us laugh.I'm so interested of this movie. 8)


I'm excited because its one of the only major summer block busters this year that doesn't rely on my nostalgia to entertain me. :) It will be like a breath of fresh air.


Pretty much this. I've been excited about it since the first trailer hit, and I had no idea what it was.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Airmantharp wrote:Pretty much this. I've been excited about it since the first trailer hit, and I had no idea what it was.
Same.

Then later I heard these guys described as a team of Captain Solo's/Reynold's. SOLD!
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Hmm, first time I saw the trailer I could only think this looks lame and unfunny. Visually very well done though.

But I'm still going to see it and I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.
Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:47 am

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:26 pm

I read everything Guardians of the Galaxy in a binge this spring. The original series/V1 stuff was overly predictable filler, from the Dark Age of comics when everything was formulaic and trite. The V2 reboot is recent, and what the movie is based off of, and I found it highly amusing. I will be seeing this one in theaters.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7959
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 am

I like the more out there comics sure. I mean I love the original secret war and the more recent Annihilation arch. I'm not as well read as I would like to be but I know i like the flavor of it all.

I do worry about one thing. Marvel and Whedon have a distinctly counter creation mythology. Not that I think we can't have a little fun with our origins but I really enjoy the supernatural(The WB TV show about all things weird) style approach to creative exposition on creation. It does try to as much create a counter mythology as to further establish a world that works with our current understanding of existence. As much as we like to think we have it all figured out there are extremely simple counter evolution arguments that make a but load of scientific sense. To the point that God and Science exist in the minds of the greater population of the world without a major conflict. The majority of humans believe in creation, so lets take that at face value. It will bring more people into the fold of the mythos I think and requires a more creative plotting dynamic.

EDIT: FTR, I'm a practicing Catholic.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:I do worry about one thing. Marvel and Whedon have a distinctly counter creation mythology. Not that I think we can't have a little fun with our origins but [...] The majority of humans believe in creation, so lets take that at face value. It will bring more people into the fold of the mythos I think and requires a more creative plotting dynamic.

EDIT: FTR, I'm a practicing Catholic.


You are in the wrong forum. R&P is that way. Also, I think you might be overanalyzing your entertainment materials a bit much, but let's discuss that in R&P as well. Thanks!
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7959
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:EDIT: FTR, I'm a practicing Catholic.
Come back (from R&P) when you've mastered it. :)
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:59 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I wasn't even proposing a specifically catholic idea. Just was trying to not be super coy about my specific personal views.

Not trying to bring R&P to a virtues battle here. Just that if you read marvel comics it comes front and center frequently. I mean they use it as a launching point for a very round about way of addressing things like virtue and destiny(that are pretty easily addressed in conventional ways). The trailer shows their base, Knowhere. Its the head of a dead celestial, a race of beings that seeded earth with life. They also apparently created evolution, because the x-men villain apocalypse is infused with a death seed (hence the source of his powers) to force the evolution of earth. There are several major story arks that deal with celestials judging weather we have evolved adequately or if its time for us to be destroyed. So I thought it was slightly topical. Ok so I read more than I let on, lol. But less than I've read of other stuff. And this whole theme works into allot of the material I favor. I mean Mephisto and other cosmic entities intervene in mainstream comics allot.

I mean probably part of the thing going on here is the irony that marvel even tries to address this stuff at all. I get that joss whedon is just a guy having fun playing make believe and its cool for its Verse to work into most of his worlds he creates. That has a very classical author beat to it. However I do find it odd that a publisher with a strong public persona would side apparently against something in its own mythos and not take a more ambiguous approach like DC has. (IDEA!) But to the end of it, maybe the idea that is the universe that makes up the marvel pages is so much fiction/pulp, and that is the point of it having its own creation. I'm probably getting too philosophical but to the point that the avengers movies haven't paralleled any current day events so much as parodied them its interesting to ponder that perhaps the material is in a way self aware of its own creation. That the celestials are writers and fans who dable in the world they create.

So there I've worked it out typing this reply. The issue is not an issue because the world of the marvel universe is its own world. The lack of conformity to any predominant theological, philosophical or scientific theory is the entire point.

Hope that thought process was bearable, and light on R&P :P
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks, that was much better, but still, I think we should keep any religious or para-religious discussions in a thread of their own, in R&P. I've got nothing against politics or religion, but I feel they are best handled when segmented. Think of TR forums the way you would have a chat at work. Language can be a problem, but not universally, and anything that touches on religion or politics really needs to be in the specially designated area, or HR gets involved.

Interesting ideas, though, and I'd be interested in reading and debating them... But not here. TBP is for more mellow thoughts.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7959
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 am

Voldenuit wrote:Other than on TV (thank you the CW), because Arrow is fantastic.


Really? People keep saying this. I tried to get into Smallville but it was too much like a Dawson's Creek rehash except that ...oh BTW.... Dawson has superpowers. But yet people say Arrow is actually good. I guess since its on Netflix I must check it out.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7142
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am

Forge wrote:Thanks, that was much better, but still, I think we should keep any religious or para-religious discussions in a thread of their own, in R&P. I've got nothing against politics or religion, but I feel they are best handled when segmented. Think of TR forums the way you would have a chat at work. Language can be a problem, but not universally, and anything that touches on religion or politics really needs to be in the specially designated area, or HR gets involved.

Interesting ideas, though, and I'd be interested in reading and debating them... But not here. TBP is for more mellow thoughts.


Ok, I've said or perhaps realized all I have to. Should I go back and delete that stuff or just let it linger?
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:58 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:Ok, I've said or perhaps realized all I have to. Should I go back and delete that stuff or just let it linger?

Imagine your best Dolores O'Riordan and let it linger. If people back off the line once warned I won't swing the R&P translator.

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: That said, a true & frank discussion of the moral universe behind both comics groups could keep R&P entertained for months. Heck, I'm sure there's at least one Masters degree in that and would not be shocked if someone codged a PhD out of those mythoses.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20112
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:EDIT: That said, a true & frank discussion of the moral universe behind both comics groups could keep R&P entertained for months.


Start a thread and link it here. I'll join :)
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:44 am

I have a bad habit of buying too much Lego for my kids. I still love toys myself I guess. Anyway, they have Guardians of the Galaxy Lego in the stores now. Funny how many tie-ins Lego has these days. Avengers, DC heroes, Spiderman, etc.

My wife and I generally agree on superhero movies so we will rent this one.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
 
Posts: 12822
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 am

I wanna see it, I mean who does not want to see a machine gun toting raccoon.

I know it is based off a comic book. But a Honey Badger would have made a mean little space alien....cause they do not give a @#$% :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5 ... 3BDz7FSPLw
68 million plus views narrating is priceless and hilarious
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy!

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 am

vargis14 wrote:I wanna see it, I mean who does not want to see a machine gun toting raccoon.

I know it is based off a comic book. But a Honey Badger would have made a mean little space alien....cause they do not give a @#$% :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5 ... 3BDz7FSPLw
68 million plus views narrating is priceless and hilarious


Its so topical thanks for bringing that to the table :)
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests