New guitar!

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

New guitar!

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 pm

I just got me an American Strat (white with a maple neck). W00t. Being the cheapskate that I am, it took me years of playing a cheap knockoff before finally deciding to get something good. It's used, but it sure feels good to play, almost playing itself.
Anyone else like Strats? Or are you one of those funny types who likes Les Pauls?
Defend your right to arm bears!
OsakaJ
Gerbil Elite

Re: New guitar!

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:33 pm

I could never get into the feel of strats. I dunno why... they just don't feel good in my hands.

Now as for Les Pauls... heck yes. :wink:

But these days I'm rocking this archtop http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm
///_-)
SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:23 pm

I've never played a guitar; it's just not something my nervous system was designed to do.

That said, I've spent enough time as a roadie to know that if the guitarist is hell-bent on playing out of their own amp instead of into a DI box, I'd much rather see Strats than any Gibson. A small system in a small room with an overloaded guitar amp just sets off the trademark Gibson eterna-sustain. While the crowd loved it, I had no way to get the vocals out over that din. Strats can do that (sustain), but prefer not to, and I could manage them and balance them against the vocals unlike the Gibsons. Truth be told, if I ever had to do a roadie gig again, I'd be happiest if everyone was slinging a Telecaster. Dealing with the highs is so much easier than a room sustain you just can't stop because the idiots who are paying you won't turn down the guitar amps. I kept a mike at the desk patched into the monitor feed to tell them just that but they never listened. At the very least the best campus band had a keyboard player with a real Leslie speaker so that covered up many sins.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Grats on the new strat..... we need pics.

Personally, unless you go money to laying around, used guitars in good condition are usually the better choice.
I have a old Kramer F-3000 from the mid 80's that I really enjoy. It is more playable than the fender american strat that my friend bought a few years back, but I think that is mostly due to the fact that his fretboard had that glossy veneer coating on it. it made it really a lot more difficult to move up and down the fretboard. It felt sticky to me. If it did not have that gloss coating I think it would have been much better. the sound and tone were great though. I tried out another friend's Les Paul with a rosewood fretboard ( no gloss finish) and it felt better but still not as good as mine. I am sure part of this is cause I am used to my guitar and maybe partly due to all the years of finger grease that has soaked into my fretboard making it a bit slicker.
MechWarrior
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 am

Congrats. If thats what you like, who's to "knock" it?

Never really got into the usual icons (Strat, Les Paul, Flying V, etc.) Seemed to have stuck with mostly Ibanez's, with the exception of an ESP/LTD F-200 ( http://www.chorder.com/electric-guitars ... f200-3010/ ), which I found used for ~$200, and an old Jackson.

They've come and gone, but I've still held onto the F-200 and, personally the best 'gitter' I've ever owned, an Ibanez MTM1 ( http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/MTM1 ), the 2006-2007 model, which also was found used for ~$700. At the time, was half what they were going for new.
(*For the record, I'm most definitely not a Slipknot fan.)
PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:59 am

I love my natural 1975 Strat hardtail. I can't play it anymore but I keep it around for sentimental reasons. I went from Gibsons to Fenders about 10 years ago, my first guitar was a Les Paul copy, then a 1996 ES-335 Dot Reissue. Fenders record better IMHO, the tone is thinner and sits on top of the bass without so much EQ.
cheerful hamster
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:08 am

Congratz on your "new" guitar. I know you are gonna have some fun with it.
I've been playing a Roadhouse Strat that I picked up used for $300.00
Here's a few old pics.
I've recently put Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus middle/neck
And Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Plus bridge
Play it mostly thru my Fender Champ 600
Amp has been upgraded with a new grill cloth, Tung-Sol's and the Jensen been swapped out for a Weber

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:12 am

SnowboardingTobi wrote:But these days I'm rocking this archtop http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

Those are sweet guitars. Very affordable as I recall.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:29 am

Congrats on the new guitar! How about some pics?

My sole electric is a Jackson with the really thin neck. Love that guitar, but I'd like to add a Gibson or Strat for a fatter neck and richer sound.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:41 am

Pics man! I love the look and feel of a good ol' American strat, especially with a maple neck. You can mod and model all you want, you'll never get that same lovely bright tone that you get from the real thing.

Around July of last year I got myself a used Schecter V-7 (it's a strat shape, not a v) 7 string with a licensed Floyd Rose that was posted on craigslist for $300. It could use some new pickups and probably a fresh bridge, but it was a steal for how well it plays. Oh and no, I didn't just get it to "djent" on the bottom strings. There's some cool stuff you can do on a 7 when it comes to blues and jazz that kinda blends guitar work with bass lines. It's a lot of fun if you ever want to venture forth into extra strings.

Anyway enjoy your new strat! What kind of amp are you playing it through btw?
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 pm

No photo(s)?

I wouldn't mind having a Strat. Maybe single-coily. Nothing wrong with LP either.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 pm

IAmGhostDog, I love that sunburst finish. No humbucker at the bridge though?

And I love Strats. I have a MIM standard HSS Strat and a MIM standard Telecaster. They're both pretty splendid.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:01 am

I let my 14 year old take my camera on his last school tip, several months ago, and haven't seen it since. And he's got my iPhone. :lol: So, no photos yet. BTW, the Strat has all single pickups. I'm really loving it. It came with heavier strings than I prefer, but the intonation is absolutely dead on, so I just can't bring myself to change them.
Defend your right to arm bears!
OsakaJ
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 am

I'm still a beginner, but recently picked up a Strat style HSS Yamaha Pacifica 112v so that I would have something to play Rocksmith with that didn't totally suck as an instrument. Again, I'm no expert, but these Yamaha's seem to be good value. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, solid wood body, decent build quality. One of the deciding factors was that I got a bit of a deal (paid just under $250).

I've had a Yamaha acoustic for a few years and liked it. So far the electric seems pretty nice too for the money, but I haven't put much time in with it yet. The coil tap function (which I think effectively mutes one of the pickups in the humbucker), together with the HSS setup brings quite a bit of flexibility in sound out of the box.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

I have a Yamaha acoustic as well, and I really like it too. They seem to make really nice instruments.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:56 pm

cynan, technically removing one coil from a humbucker is coil splitting, though I don't know what's done in practice in that Yamaha. Coil tap is tapping a coil in the middle, to effectively have less windings.
Last edited by meerkt on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm more of a Les Paul guy. Les Paul Custom Black Beauty is my dream guitar.... one day... one day.

My stuffs:
- Early 90's (1992?) Gibson Les Paul Studio with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Duncan Distortion in the bridge.
- ESP Viper 30th Anniversary Edition with EMG 81 brige 85 neck
- Yamaha acoustic from when I started playing in 1996

Mid 90's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with Oversized 4x12 speaker cabinet.

Some pedals that aren't impressive enough to mention.

Guitar is fun, wish I played more these days. Was in a band when I was younger but lost a lot of motivation after we stopped.

My friend has a connection to Indie guitars, a UK / Canadian company. I've been eyeing a couple of their guitars for years. One PRS-like guitar and a Les Paul style with a Floyd Rose, but we haven't had the chance to go to the factory and choose a guitar because he travels a lot for work (he is Gojira's tour manager).

I'd happily pick both of those guitars up because he can get them at cost! :)
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

meerkt wrote:cynan, technically removing one coil from a humbucker is coil splitting, though I don't know what's done in practice in that Yamaha. Coil tap is tapping a coil in the middle, to effectively have less windings.

Yeah. I think you're right. It is a coil split function. However, reading on the internet, I've come across many people referring to this as coil tap... However, this writeup of the 112V definitely refers to it as coil splitting. But then Yamaha's own website lists coil tap in the specs... hmm. Oh well, either way, it adds a bit of extra flexibility to the sound...
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 am

derFunkenstein wrote:IAmGhostDog, I love that sunburst finish. No humbucker at the bridge though?

To tell you the truth, in all the years I've been playing, I have very rarely used the bridge pickup.
I was looking for a good balance with this set. And to be able to play in something other than position 4.
I really like position 3 (middle) for all around tone. And position 5.
It suits my style of playing. Blues, R & B, roots rock types of things. Think Jimmie Vaughan, Ronnie Earl.

My current set up

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 pm

cynan, yeah I guess you're right. It's not used consistently.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Great to see a Guitar thread here! I don't practice much because I have ADD or something, but I do have a cheapo Squire Strat. Yes, I know its not a "real" strat. I did drop a SD into mine as well. Its a Hot Rails pickup in the bridge so I could be even more metal.
Dimscene
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Return to The Back Porch