Dorex door closer installation

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Dorex door closer installation

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 pm

We have a Dorex 752 on the door to our garage from when the house was built. It has always been a bit of nuisance and today I finally tried adjusting the sweep and latch on it, but it seems like the latch has no effect at all. I suspect the builder just threw it up on the door and made sure it didn't hit the wall, probably getting the installation position wrong so it is always on the sweep part of the cycle and never makes it to latch.

My Google FU has failed me this time, there are plenty of videos about setting sweep and latch, but I can't find the installation instructions, specifically where the arm plate should be in relation to the closer and door itself. Dorex's website is useless. Anyone have the installation instructions including the template on where the plate should be mounted?
Last edited by notfred on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Dorex door closer installation

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Is this one of those where an arm comes down on top of the door after it's closed to stop it from being wedged up?

EDIT: NVM, a standard entry door closer. Should work pretty much anywhere on the door as long as you don't hyper-extend the swing arm. Have you tried fiddling with the threaded bit?
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Ah, thanks for that pointer, a bit more googling suggests that is what sets sweep and latch range. It's too late tonight, will have to play with it later in the week.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

notfred wrote:Ah, thanks for that pointer, a bit more googling suggests that is what sets sweep and latch range. It's too late tonight, will have to play with it later in the week.

Among other things I've done in my life, I've done the generic "maintenance man" gig round about '85/'86 or so. Always made it a priority to pick up as much info as I could back in those immediate post-Uni days just to be able to BS my way through some skills. Seems still to be working. 8)

Completely OT, but the best bits of education I ever got at Uni were the 6 months as a short-order cook in the townie greasy spoon. Seem to be the only bits I use today.

I saw garage door and immediately assumed the big one. For the record, there are garage door openers (car entry) that have locking devices that swing down of top of the door once it's fully closed. Good friend of mine is a Druid (tree surgeon, ala MASH) and has so much expensive stuff in his garage (at least a dozen high-end Stihl chain saws) that he opted for the extra security.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 am

I've edited the first post to try and clarify that it's the door to the garage and not the garage door itself. I've picked up a fair amount of general maintenance stuff from my father who always did stuff himself, but this is the first door closer that I've come across.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Finally got the time to set it up right tonight. The main problem was that the arm was indexed incorrectly on the shaft. It's a parallel arm setup and the fixed arm was so far off that when I disconnected the adjustable arm, the fixed arm hit the door before going in to latch range.

I indexed the arm properly on the shaft so that it goes in to latch range just before arm is parallel to the door but keeps going all the way until the arm hits the door (so that the door actually latches properly). I then set the adjustable arm length so that when the door is closed the fixed arm is parallel to the door and bingo, my latch range was good. Then all it took was just a little tweak of the valve screws to give me a gentle sweep with a positive latch and it's working perfectly.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to The Back Porch