Anandtech

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Anandtech

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 am

Has it died? The new site design is awful and there's been no news for 8 days.

I know Anand's site has been going downhill these last couple of years, but it's still a valuable resource - especially the "bench" section.

EDIT
Nevermind. It appears that the only activity on the site these days is "Pipeline stories" and whichever clown is responsibe for the site redesign hid it so far down the homepage that it's not even visible on a 30" 1600p screen without scrolling.

Still, can't be a good sign if the homepage for a major tech website is mostly static....
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Fri May 09, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: Anandtech

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:33 am

No news for 8 days? I posted a new Sapphire card yesterday here on the forums from there. I read it every day, I don't now what you are talking about.
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:39 am

I'm talking about the homepage;TR changes every day (namely that the new posts are at the top of the homepage)
Maybe this is just a rant about their site redesign instead? :P

I've been seeing only this for over a week, because the only active content isn't on the visible part of the homepage.

<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:43 am

Oh, ok. I've notice that the main page is 8 days old, right. But the news section has been updated yesterday ;) I think the layout has been like this for a long time if I'm not mistaken.
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 5:11 am

I can see the top of the pipeline section on a 2560x1440 monitor, and it also appears on the right-hand side. To make it disappear from the right-hand side I have to make the browser less then 1/3 the width of the screen. I think it's something about the way the web browser in your screenshot renders the page, or the size of your browser window. There are some things missing in your screenshot - after Smartphones there is Intel, AMD, Tablets, SoCs, and there are no links for "ABOUT ADVERTISING BENCH FORUMS GALLERIES PODCAST" in the main banner at the top.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 am

Yeah, the redesign was a few months back but this is the first time I can remember no new articles in over a week - if you exclude the news snippets under "pipeline"
Chrispy_
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 6:18 am

It is definitely a browser window width thing. I can get it to look like the screenshot if I shrink my browser window horizontally. But the point at which that happens is narrow enough that it also forces the TR forums scroll horizontally; so why would I ever want to make my browser that narrow? :wink:

That said, I agree with the OP -- the layout of the Anandtech site looks like crap.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 7:20 am

just brew it! wrote:It is definitely a browser window width thing. I can get it to look like the screenshot if I shrink my browser window horizontally. But the point at which that happens is narrow enough that it also forces the TR forums scroll horizontally; so why would I ever want to make my browser that narrow? :wink:

That said, I agree with the OP -- the layout of the Anandtech site looks like crap.

Ah, it's this.
I use two 2560 displays here but I define two browser windows on one of them at 1024px wide, and Anandtech's threshold for a usable site layout is 1024. With a 1024-wide window I'm losing a few pixels somewhere and it's giving me the mobile layout.
Chrispy_
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 7:23 am

Yeah, that is strange behavior. When the window shrinks past a certain width, the 'Pipeline Stories' section drops way down on the page, below the 4 'featured' articles.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 7:23 am

Long time AT member here, and we've seen the slow decline of the numerous hardware reviews give way to the occasional smartphone of the month reviews, and less and less of the hardware that we wanted to read about.

In all the years I've been on AT (since September of 2000), I rarely if ever started out on the homepage, choosing instead to frequent the 'Hot Deals' forum section back when free T-shirts and free mag subs (Computer Shopper was like candy to a 3 year old !!) were a weekly thing, but those days have dried up and died for a long time now.

I frequent Ars, Tech Report (duh) and occasionally [H], looking for whatever I am shopping for at the time. PSU shootouts, CPU benchmarks, Video card comparos - they all offer these at some point, but yes, AT seems to have tossed in the towel on the larger scale hardware comparisons they used to be involved in.
Intel i5 2500K@4.3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, Zotax GTX580, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (RAID-0), Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Corsair H80, Win 7 Pro
Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 am

I've always been impressed with the depth of their reviews, but lately they definitely have been getting few and far between.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 am

Likewise. I'm also more than a little upset that they have so much focus on Android/iOS. I can understand not giving a lot of coverage to Windows Phone but it would be nice read a review from them on the Lumia Icon or other flagship device. At least they reviewed WP8.1. Similarly I would really like their take on a number of Bay Trail Windows 8.1 options but there's just no love...
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am

AT is essentially a wordier version of Engadget these days.
Yeats
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 pm

AT has been in decline for a while. It's basically a Smartphone review site nowadays which is sad :(
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - ASUS 7970 - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ
Pez
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

I don't get your criticism guys. Yes, they have seemingly slowed down a bit in the quantity of their features and broadened the scope, but the quality and depth is still there and they still get some important scoops
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Firestarter wrote:I don't get your criticism guys. Yes, they have seemingly slowed down a bit in the quantity of their features and broadened the scope, but the quality and depth is still there and they still get some important scoops

Yes. Besides, the FACT is - there's not much interesting PC hardware to review anyway. AMD mostly makes low-budget underperforming garbage (excluding their GPU's which have their own ever-lasting driver issues) and Intel has no incentive of introducing faster, better desktop stuff due to this. New GPU architectures are also not being introduced very often (because fixed-function consoles still drag the evolution of gaming down). Same goes for other stuff from SSDs (oh look, SSDs are now even faster and take less interior space due to new M.2 format... whoopdee-fcuking-do! :roll: ) to power supplies and cases. Even I myself am more excited about new mobile releases (smartphones/tablets) than any dull, stagnating PC components/peripherals :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 pm

is it just me or the site looking metroish now...

i lov an&tech long time, i believe that's the first site i saw the post where Thresh won Carmack's Ferrari
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU | MX518 | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to The Back Porch