Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

PC Friendly entertainment centers?

Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 am

Recently followed the current techie trend of rigging up a HTPC/Steam machine for my TV out of lying around parts. I love the concept and capabilities of this machine but since it was made from spare parts I don't have the space savings one normally gets building a Mini-ITX board from scratch. The plus side is obviously cost savings since I only had to buy a new Mid tower ATX case, but I'm having trouble with the aesthetics of a giant white nzxt case (and all the cords that go with it)sitting next to my tv stand in the middle of the living room.

I was hoping to solve the problem by finding a new entertainment center that has a slot for a PC tower but to this day I can't find any out there. I found a few with side bookshelves that could have the shelves taken out, but the dimensions wouldn't leave room for airflow. There are also some sizable storage shelves on larger units that could fit a PC or 2, but I need this thing to fit in an apartment. Has anyone else found any smaller entertainment centers that have a spot for an atx case?
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: PC Friendly entertainment centers?

Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 am

I transferred my HTPC to a short-depth Silverstone Grandia, but the solution we use in our conference rooms is two small cupboard/shelf units either side of the tower with a slab across the top to tie it together.

This is a temporary mess without wiring in the walls and just using temporary furniture but you could do a good job if you picked two nice cupboards and a smoked glass top or something:

Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 am

I actually had the salesman at a local furniture store suggest that same setup. Not a bad idea but it would mean my PC still sitting on the carpet.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 19, 2014 11:46 am

1) I would have suggested one of the smallest inexpensive ATX cases I've come across to get you started in the right direction. Most entertainment centers just aren't going to have a dedicated compartment big enough (see deep enough) for an ATX case. Hence, why most HTPCs are mITX.

2) If you're trying to stuff an ATX case into an entertainment center, keep your eyes open for something that you could lay the case on it's side and cut out the (typically cardboard-like) back of the cabinet to accommodate the depth of the case. That's probably going to be your only feasible option.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 19, 2014 3:28 pm

The other boardrooms were in use but actually we have PC's off the carpet in those using a simple plinth. I don't know why this one had no plinth!
Anyway, here's another way to look at it:

1) Furniture is really expensive and lasts for a long, long time. My stuff is cheaper than most (Gloss MDF with glass instead of real wood) but it cost me around £490/$650
2) Computer cases are cheap. $100 gets you a decent HTPC case that will fit the furniture.

Buy the furniture you want/can afford and then move your HTPC into a form-factor that fits your furniture.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Buy the furniture you want/can afford and then move your HTPC into a form-factor that fits your furniture.

Or, build the computer into your furniture. I've ALWAYS wanted to do this:
http://hacknmod.com/hack/build-a-comput ... your-desk/
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD