Fireworks

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Fireworks

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:48 pm

So I haven't purchased fireworks since I was a teen, but fast forward almost two decades and I have an almost three year old daughter. So I thought it would be fun to buy some to show her for the 4th. I discovered that in my state, anything that flies in the air is verboten. That initially depressed me. I figured I'd be limited to boring sparklers and a cone shaped thing shooting some sparks. Then I saw some videos of just how good "fountains" are these days. Some of this stuff is pretty impressive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAiist0NEn4

I bought some and I am looking forward to shooting them off tomorrow in celebration of Independence Day (Down with King George!!! :P).

What fireworks are you setting off this year, and what's legal in your area?
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Fireworks

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:18 pm

First, South Carolina. You're a lot closer than I am.

The aerial stuff we've had at the last 2 BBQs (i.e. the only ones I've attended) was great. I hear it comes from Indiana. Watching Gleek nearly throw himself into Lake Michigan to rescue a fire balloon he prematurely released (heh) will live in BBQ lore forever.

Here in VT we're stuck with the sparklers and crap if you buy it here, so I don't buy anything. You can get it in Quebec, but you need to buy in it Jan/Feb to have any chance of getting it across the border. Trying it on July 2 is just stupid.

About to head off to a family house to watch the big-city fireworks (Burlington, VT), but the radar tells me they're going to have a lot of competition from nature. Looks like the folding chairs are staying in the trunk.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:45 pm

I live in a relatively tight subdivision and have no desire to burn down my neighbors homes. Also, the 4th is about the only time of year the county mounties will knock on your door if you're breaking the law. If I livied in the boonies, (someday!) it would be open season.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm

All the good stuff is legal in MI now, that's why we kicked things up a couple notches at the BBQ. :)

This year we did pick out at least one big 500g fountain so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Our goodies:
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Snakes, sparklers, chickens, some parachute troops, small fountains, smoke balls, even though I'm the only one who likes them, and lots of poppers. It's stuff that's 4 year old and 1 year old safe, and they won't attract the attention of the fuzz.

The 4th was a big deal in my family, and we used to make trips up the turnpike to Missouri to get bottle rockets, and other things. Then there was the homemade stuff. :)
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Vrock, the obvious solution is to move. Or make friends with the local fire department. At least in my parents' county (pm me for location if you're really interested) you can get a permit for the fun stuff. A police officer on their street did that for his daughters' graduation parties. I think he also gets a permit for our celebration each year, so we have roman candles, mortars, bottle rockets and the rest. Unfortunately my current city of residence prohibits everything, but the fountains aren't too bad. Plus sparklers are great for younger children. Holding fire is fun!
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count
lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Here in the semi-rural area where I live outside of Dallas, you can buy and shoot off most fireworks. The amount of banging and booming that goes on around here on the 4th (and New Years) is pretty impressive. Some folks nearby shoot off some stuff that's near-professional quality. The reports can be almost unbelievably loud and heavy. My old Army dad, who served in an arty unit, tells me that its not quite field artillery caliber, but it's related.

About 30 years or so ago, Texas outlawed bottle rockets of four ounces or less. Those were my favorite - we would buy them by the gross, go to a lake, and shoot them into the water, which gave a very satisfying whump and underwater light show in the darkness. Also, my cousins had fun shooting them at each other. :o
Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Tough to tell who put on a better show, but I'll always vote for Henry Hudson and crew bowling ninepins.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:00 pm

we refought the Battle of Shiloh last night, at least the artillery duel
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 am

Almost everything is illegal in IL but somehow tons still gets shot off.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Return to The Back Porch