Russia's latest "sandcrawler"

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Russia's latest "sandcrawler"

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Many people know the design of Jawa's Sandcrawler which first appeared in 1977's Star Wars. If not - look it up for yourself :wink:

Well, this month some "industrial design prodigy" from Russia has demonstrated his "own" design for "innovative Russian tram". The first full-size mock-up was already demonstrated to public, including the Medvedev (current Prime Minister, former President), the industrial company responsible for building rail cars (and other stuff) is already planning to start manufacturing it in 2016. You can see the photos right here (ENG version of site is available but you don't need it to see photos):
http://r1.uvz.ru/

And here is one example:

The original:

"Aerodynamics? Pedestrian safety? Intellectual property rights? Who the **** cares about these silly things!" :lol:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Russia's latest "sandcrawler"

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Vaguely trapezoidal, I guess. You must be a huge Star Wars fan to see a resemblance. :)
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:11 pm

This thing is designed to run in city streets so I want an operator to be positioned so that there are no frontal blind spots (and resulting gruesome pedestrian deaths). After all, cow-catchers have been out of style for at least 100 years.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:This thing is designed to run in city streets so I want an operator to be positioned so that there are no frontal blind spots (and resulting gruesome pedestrian deaths). After all, cow-catchers have been out of style for at least 100 years.

(Awaits Russian dashcam vids from new tram).
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 pm

It should probably have a curved 'cockpit' to eliminate the possibility of blind spots. I guess it is vaguely sandcrawler like... it wasn't my immediate thought when I saw the thing on another site. I love Star Wars by the way (the prequels don't count).
FDISK /MBR
Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Vrock wrote:You must be a huge Star Wars fan to see a resemblance. :)

Not at all, no, but this was my first thought, and (from what I've read on Russian blogs) not only mine. People were already photoshopping Darth Vader into the interior photos and also posting various sandcrawler photos as a reply :wink:

Captain Ned wrote:This thing is designed to run in city streets so I want an operator to be positioned so that there are no frontal blind spots (and resulting gruesome pedestrian deaths). After all, cow-catchers have been out of style for at least 100 years.

Well, of course, and this is why most EU trams have a lower "nose" which is visible from the (much more aerodynamic) cabin and is positioned so that it would push even small children away from the tram, not under it :wink:
Last edited by JohnC on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:18 pm

I hope whatever the cockpit glass is made of is strong enough withstand a human body at speed. Drivers have been hurt in Japan, because suicidal people have thrown themselves right in front of the oncoming train, and actually penetrated the cockpit (sometimes partially). Gruesome business.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Hz so good wrote:

I hope whatever the cockpit glass is made of is strong enough withstand a human body at speed. Drivers have been hurt in Japan, because suicidal people have thrown themselves right in front of the oncoming train, and actually penetrated the cockpit (sometimes partially). Gruesome business.

It won't happen with this cabin design. Have you seen icebreakers go over very thick ice? :D
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

JohnC wrote:
Hz so good wrote:

It won't happen with this cabin design. Have you seen icebreakers go over very thick ice? :D

So it'll go up and over.... oh god. No need for body bag, just a pressure washer, some buckets, and some sieves. And maybe a Ziploc. :o

*MORBID FUN FACT*

If you follow Japanese news (I do, because I'm trying to learn the language) and hear the words "jinshin jiko", it's their subtle way of saying a "Human body accident" occurred on a rail line. It's not at epidemic levels yet, or anything, but it has been popping up a fair bit lately.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Pretty much, yes. Speaking of which, I guess the "Sandcrawler" wasn't the only one that inspired such design, there was also this very famous (in former USSR) object:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin_(nuclear_icebreaker)

:D

P.S: B.t.w, there is a bug in the way this forum handles the links with parenthesis, like that Wikipedia link above (it cuts off the last round bracket unless you use "URL" tags)...
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:43 pm

JohnC wrote:Pretty much, yes.

Oh my god... I've seen so many videos of little old russian women walking out in front of traffic and comes within inches of being hit. I bet the totals are gonna skyrocket once these things hit service.

I wonder if the drivers would stamp the tram after every kill, ala WW2? That would be gruesomely awesome.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:00 am

Vrock wrote:Vaguely trapezoidal, I guess. You must be a huge Star Wars fan to see a resemblance. :)

not at all, but that's the first thing that came to my mind ;)
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU |
SoM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 am

Hz so good wrote:once these things hit service.

Well, let's hope they won't :wink:

This is what I'd rather see (this currently runs in Bordeaux, France):

Or like this (this is from Barcelona, Spain):

It's aerodynamic (these things do matter even at low speeds, especially with headwind), aesthetically pleasing (doesn't look like something from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvR0RwLhM4), offers plenty of visibility for an operator and has a low, safe "nose" not designed for "World War Z" :P
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch