What proof/% alcohol is safe to leave in the freezer?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

What proof/% alcohol is safe to leave in the freezer?

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey guys,

I just brought home some normal coconut rum. 21% by volume. I'm thinking about storing hit in the freezer. Bad idea?
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro
ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: What proof/% alcohol is safe to leave in the freezer?

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 pm

I only ever put vodka in the freezer. Generally, anything that is 80 proof or higher should be good. Rum could be marginal. Why would you want it in the freezer anyway?
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

yes, your 21% will freeze, keep it room temp

vodka i keep in fridge, actually tastes better imo
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Crucial M500 240GB | 600W PSU | MX518 | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Any hard alcohol that isn't for women :wink:
Mikael33
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 pm

SoM wrote:yes, your 21% will freeze, keep it room temp

Nope. His freezer wouldn't come close to being the -24 C (-11 f) for it to freeze if it is 21%.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 pm

vodka i keep in fridge, actually tastes better imo

Buy better Vodka.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:Hey guys,

I just brought home some normal coconut rum. 21% by volume. I'm thinking about storing hit in the freezer. Bad idea?

Why would you want to store it in the freezer? The beauty of hard liquor is being able to store it at room temperature without it spoiling.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:54 am

Deanjo wrote:

Nope. His freezer wouldn't come close to being the -24 C (-11 f) for it to freeze if it is 21%.

According to this table a 21% solution freezes at -8C, not -24C.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
ssidbroadcast wrote:Hey guys,

Why would you want to store it in the freezer? The beauty of hard liquor is being able to store it at room temperature without it spoiling.

Wrong. The beauty of hard liquor is that when you drink it, you get a buzz; and the better stuff can actually taste pretty darned good too.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:58 am

just brew it! wrote:According to this table a 21% solution freezes at -8C, not -24C.

Wrong. The beauty of hard liquor is that when you drink it, you get a buzz; and the better stuff can actually taste pretty darned good too.

Yeah, I thought -24 was a little off. Regardless, it will be fine in the freezer. But, yuck rum.

And +++ to the beauty. I have never stored booze in the freezer/fridge. Lose a lot of the taste with a lot of products that way. Beer included.
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:07 am

DancinJack wrote:Yeah, I thought -24 was a little off. Regardless, it will be fine in the freezer.

-8C is 18F. If your freezer is working properly it is colder than that.

DancinJack wrote:But, yuck rum.

Coconut rum would not have been my choice either. If I am going to drink rum at all it is going to be a quality unflavored dark rum.

DancinJack wrote:And +++ to the beauty. I have never stored booze in the freezer/fridge. Lose a lot of the taste with a lot of products that way. Beer included.

In general, stronger and/or more flavorful beers tend to have a higher optimum serving temperature. Cheap crap beer needs to be ice cold because you don't *want* to taste it!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:Yeah, I thought -24 was a little off. Regardless, it will be fine in the freezer.

-8C is 18F. If your freezer is working properly it is colder than that.

And that's what I get for *slight* PUI on Friday night. C -> F misstep.
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
DancinJack

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 am

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:-8C is 18F. If your freezer is working properly it is colder than that.

And that's what I get for *slight* PUI on Friday night. C -> F misstep.

Yeah, guess I had the advantage on you there -- only had about a half a beer as of when I posted that, and double checked the temperature conversion on Google. You can type search strings like "-8c in f" (without the quotes) and it will spit out the conversion for you. :wink:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 am

Well, I remember it from Physics. I just translated C to F with no conversion, for whatever reason.

x9/5 or 5/9 +/- 32, or something like that
DancinJack

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:52 am

TheEmrys wrote:I only ever put vodka in the freezer. Generally, anything that is 80 proof or higher should be good. Rum could be marginal. Why would you want it in the freezer anyway?

I am a vodka freezer fan.....though room temp is fine also. I stick to Grey Goose and Kettle One. As for the taste Vodka does not have much of it. But cheap stuff can have that bite that gives you the chills at even room temp. I want it to be smooth and not have much taste at all...more like a ice cold shot of water out of the freezer. Thats what I enjoy about the good vodkas the lack of much taste and bite. Let me be honest Vodka gets me Happy and the few beers i drink throughout a party are what I sip...since I cannot drink beer and catch a buzz worth a darn without it ruining my appetite and bloating my 5" 10&1/2" 210lb beautiful figure LOL.

Surprisingly even though I drink rarely say once every 2 months I can drink a 5th myself over 6 hrs and not be falling down. I might get very honest on my opinions and the good ole beer muscles like arm wrestling and mercy. Also the occasional usually short scuffle if a stranger messes with my wife or other family members that almost 90+% of the time ends with a few choice words of advise to the offender and a scuffle does not occur. But there is always that %10 chance, But that goes down every year I get older. Also I have been Mikle Tysoned once while 2 bouncers held me down and some %@#$ bit a piece of my ear off. Anyway the ambulance came along with the police 10 minutes later and my blood pressure was like 120 over 65, The EMTs were surprised. Was my local bar on Pudding wrestling night and my biter ran for the hills leaving his shoes I must have knocked him out of making him leave them behind...unless he runs faster in bare feet. The whole bar backed me up so I did not get in any trouble besides the ear deal.

Also I am no sipper, Give me a couple double shots back to back and ill start doing a single around a hour after and on each hour after that until I become either very inebriated, the bottle is empty because I share or both :) Both usually means I brought a bottle much bigger then a 5th.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 am

just brew it! wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:Why would you want to store it in the freezer? The beauty of hard liquor is being able to store it at room temperature without it spoiling.

True, that is the best part. :)

I've been figuring this out as of late. A restaurant in my area does monthly cocktail classes, and as part of the class, we get samples of the base liquor to taste. Everyone knows about sipping scotch, whiskey, and burbon, but there is stuff out there that is just as sippable in rum, gin, tequila, and vodka. Vodka is the weakest of the four, since it's not supposed to have a taste.

My current sipping crush is Manhatten Rye Whiskey. I like it better then the Johnny Walker Black that I bought at the sametime.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:55 am

vargis14 wrote:I stick to Grey Goose and Kettle One. As for the taste Vodka does not have much of it. But cheap stuff can have that bite that gives you the chills at even room temp.

That's an indication that there are a other volatile organic compounds in there besides ethanol. For me, it is a pretty good indicator of the hangover potential of a liquor. I generally don't drink straight vodka (last time was probably at least a decade ago if not longer), but Jim Beam Bourbon has that bite too, and just one shot of the stuff is guaranteed to give me a pounding headache.

vargis14 wrote:I cannot drink beer and catch a buzz worth a darn without it ruining my appetite and bloating my 5" 10&1/2" 210lb beautiful figure LOL.

You need to stop drinking those 4-5% beers! Try a nice Belgian Dark Strong, Imperial Stout, or Barleywine instead. :wink:

Flatland_Spider wrote:A restaurant in my area does monthly cocktail classes, and as part of the class, we get samples of the base liquor to taste. Everyone knows about sipping scotch, whiskey, and burbon, but there is stuff out there that is just as sippable in rum, gin, tequila, and vodka. Vodka is the weakest of the four, since it's not supposed to have a taste.

Not much of a hard liquor guy myself, but I do occasionally enjoy sipping on a little Bourbon, Scotch, or dark rum. As noted above I'm not a fan of vodka; I also never really developed a taste for gin or tequila. Hey, I just realized that there seems to be a pattern -- I only like hard liquor that is aged in oak barrels!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 am

I must be one of the few immune to the hangover some get from vodka.

I most of the time wake up 3-4 hrs after going to sleep on the wasted side and guzzle a ton of water from the alcohol dehydrating me. Besides that just groggy next day with no head ache.

Also you know why they only sell e85 ethanol? It is so you can not go and get as 5 dollar gallon of moonshine so they add that 15% gasoline to kill you.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 pm

vargis14 wrote:Also you know why they only sell e85 ethanol? It is so you can not go and get as 5 dollar gallon of moonshine so they add that 15% gasoline to kill you.

LOL, never thought of that. Of course it wouldn't be safe for consumption after all the industrial processes and dirty storage tanks it's been though, but I'm sure you'd get homeless people and underage kids drinking it anyway.

As for the freezer, I typically only put Jäger or vodka (Grey Goose, Kettle One) in there. For some reason they're much more appealing when chilled.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:39 pm

vargis14 wrote:I most of the time wake up 3-4 hrs after going to sleep on the wasted side and guzzle a ton of water from the alcohol dehydrating me. Besides that just groggy next day with no head ache.

Yes, staying well-hydrated is the second line of defense in hangover mitigation. (First line is not going there in the first place...)

Beer has a distinct advantage over hard liquor here, in that it contains a much higher percentage of water to start with. :wink:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Getting back to the original question, given the site you're on, the only acceptable answer is to collect a set of identical bottles, fill each with a differing ratio of water to alcohol, and put them in your freezer to test. (Tip: put each bottle in a ziplock bag to contain spillage). Report here with your results, including pictures. And a graph.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

UberGerbil wrote:Getting back to the original question, given the site you're on, the only acceptable answer is to collect a set of identical bottles, fill each with a differing ratio of water to alcohol, and put them in your freezer to test. (Tip: put each bottle in a ziplock bag to contain spillage). Report here with your results, including pictures. And a graph.

But how do you overclock a bottle of vodka? Fire pits are easy; vodka... not so much!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:[
Not much of a hard liquor guy myself, but I do occasionally enjoy sipping on a little Bourbon, Scotch, or dark rum. As noted above I'm not a fan of vodka; I also never really developed a taste for gin or tequila. Hey, I just realized that there seems to be a pattern -- I only like hard liquor that is aged in oak barrels!

Vodka isn't that interesting of a liquor. I was talking with the bartender at the Vodka class, and her sentiment was that vodka was just used to make drinks alcoholic. I agree with her. Sipping vodka is kind of silly.

There are tequilas that are aged in used whiskey barrels.

I'm a fan of a good martini, so I keep some gin around. Bombay Sapphire in particular.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:But how do you overclock a bottle of vodka? Fire pits are easy; vodka... not so much!

Pour it through your Brita filter a half-dozen times or so.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:59 pm

The activated carbon will absorb most of the flavor-creating compounds out of it. It won't make bad vodka taste good, but it could make it taste less bad.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 am

It's all about personal taste.

I like to keep my white/silver tequila in the freezer, but the gold & dark stuff stays at room temp. Peppermint schnapps is delicious when it's drank stone cold out of the freezer too.

My Scotch/rye/whisky stays at room temp as well. Any of those straight up with ice is cold enough. :wink:
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Return to The Back Porch