Witcher 3

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Witcher 3

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 am

Ok, I'm not into gaming (anymore) because of the sheer amount of time they take to play. But I think I'll be playing Witcher 3. I already see it as a big time sink and knowing they keep pushing the date back means they're really working on it instead of rushing it out. Just hope I don't get the itch (scratching already) to play some old MMORPGs.

Saw some of the vids and trailers and it looks good.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Re: Witcher 3

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Have you played the first two? Granted they're not open world, but Geralt's a boss and everything CDPR has done up to this point exudes class and quality.

TES mods are usually a good way to scratch the open-world MMORPG itch.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:57 am

I liked the first one but the second felt all consolized and I just didn't like it. Even without the consolitis some of the design decisions such as having to select the buffs you use before a boss fight because you cannot use them during....and the whole buff interface is just a turd. And don't even get me started on the controls where your character jumps off to attack people you can't even see on the screen. What a mess. It's funny because the first didn't have any of these problems.

Anyways I have no interest in the third because the second was just so badly done.
odizzido
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 pm

I found the combat system in Witcher 2 and movement to be a bit too clunky, I tend to play those kinds of games for the RPG thing more than the combat, so anytime a combat system gets in the way is a bad thing. Same with questing that are too teadious and don't offer more then loot.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:20 pm

I've never heard of witcher until I saw the review here on TR. I did look through amazon and read the reviews. I found more people liked the 2nd compared to the first. It looks to be an immersive environment but after your inputs I might wait a month or two and see what people say. No rush here.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

ThatStupidCat wrote:I've never heard of witcher until I saw the review here on TR. I did look through amazon and read the reviews. I found more people liked the 2nd compared to the first. It looks to be an immersive environment but after your inputs I might wait a month or two and see what people say. No rush here.

This thread is weird. If you look at the comments on the TR news post of the Witcher 3 gameplay video, or generally everywhere but this thread, you'd see that Witcher 2 is almost always considered better than the first. IMO Witcher 2 >>>>>>> Witcher 1.
slowriot
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

I tried Witcher 2 during a free weekend. Having never played it or the original, I opted into the tutorial. And it went on...and on...and on...describing every single system in the game. After getting simultaneously bored and overwhelmed, I quit and uninstalled.

Do you really need to know everything right at the beginning of the game? If so, this is not the game for me.

And even then, there has to be a better way to present the game's systems without an hour-long (or longer) tutorial.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm

superjawes wrote:And even then, there has to be a better way to present the game's systems without an hour-long (or longer) tutorial.

It's been awhile, but I do believe that the tutorial WAS the beginning of the game. You either had a choice to play right away with or without the tutorial. And yes it was about the first hour / hour and a half of the game. To me that's an ingenious way to have a tutorial. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Return to The Back Porch