And Twitch gets sold to...

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

And Twitch gets sold to...

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Amazon.

o_O

Although it seems strange, especially considering how Youtube and Twich have different sets of tools that each could benefit from, I have a feeling that this quote is important:

Emmett Shear wrote:We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster.
Twitch wants the kind of Independence that Google cannot offer, so to Amazon they go.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: And Twitch gets sold to...

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 am

Probably for the best in the long run.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 am

Is it bad that I've never heard of Twitch before this news article?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 am

FireGryphon wrote:Is it bad that I've never heard of Twitch before this news article?

probably not. Its mostly used to stream games with
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 am

I only know about it because of the Twitch Plays Pokemon reference on XKCD. When that strip came out I had no idea WTF it was about so I had to go and look Twitch up.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 am

Personally I feel Twitch is like the dark underside of gaming. I shows me two things: 1) There are some nerdiest of nerds out there that know every minutiae of a game. For example while watching some of the Twitch vids of the new dungeons in the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft, there have been some really nerdy theorycrafters as to how to attack a boss. Stuff that blows my mind. 2) People really have foul mouths! I can only stand some 13 yr old (or even adults) dropping the F-bomb for short periods of time.

With that being said sometimes there is some great content but it pales in comparison with trash. It's also a little voyeuristic at times, peering into peoples rooms and such depending on how they have their webcam situated. Some of the top Twitch streamers are female. (Shocking Iknowright?)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 am

I think Twitch needs to mature. I see a few people commenting on the content ID stuff related to copyright protection, and that's really just a consequence of getting noticed.

Whether the future is with Amazon or Google, Twitch is going to be changing over the next few to seveal years to refine who the big names are, who Twitch wants the big names to be, and how to present themselves as a competent product, much like Youtube did.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am

superjawes wrote:Amazon.

o_O

Although it seems strange, especially considering how Youtube and Twich have different sets of tools that each could benefit from, I have a feeling that this quote is important:

Emmett Shear wrote:We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster.
Twitch wants the kind of Independence that Google cannot offer, so to Amazon they go.

Yeah, good thing Twitch doesn't sell anything. Ask Woot.com how long your Amazon "independence" lasts.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]
highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:01 am

tanker27 wrote:With that being said sometimes there is some great content but it pales in comparison with trash. It's also a little voyeuristic at times, peering into peoples rooms and such depending on how they have their webcam situated. Some of the top Twitch streamers are female. (Shocking Iknowright?)

I don't see the big deal here, some are female, that sentence doesn't sound strange at all, why should it? And oh god a girl's room, eek.

Also "female" in this context seems to imply something er..erotic it seems? It doesn't have to be. If you're looking for females that play video games, you'll find that easily there. If you go looking for "busty females in tight tops" you'll find that as well. Not unlike Google search. It's a matter of your personal intention/predisposition. Obviously.

Twitch is not a "nanny" and thank god for that.
Wierdo the weirdo
wierdo
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:21 am

Tanker seems to be saying "nerds on the internet are lonely so the female streamers attract more attention", which with zero evidence I would say that's probably true. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Oh by no means did I want to infer that Twitch was a nanny. That is just how it is. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Tanker seems to be saying "nerds on the internet are lonely so the female streamers attract more attention", which with zero evidence I would say that's probably true. :p

It's mostly true.

MWO has a single Female streamer. She isn't very good at the game, and half of her stream time is spent drawing random things in photoshop after she plays a few rounds and her team get's stomped. The redeeming factor here is that she's never the most viewed streamer.(but her viewers generally seem to like coddleing her and telling her how awesome she is) I would bet this has to do with the fact that the player base of MWO is generally much older and those people have better things to do than watch a 19 year old girl be butthurt over getting her ass kicked in a game. Most MWO stream viewers are busy watching Competitive players roll around as though they are gods amongst lemmings.

Did that sound a bit sexist? I didn't mean it that way.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to The Back Porch