Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Dreams Thread

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:17 am

OK, this is gonna be one of the weirdest threads around here but allow me to start it. This thread is all about dreams we've had. I've always been fascinated with dreams and oftentimes dreams present illogical scenarios. I often wake up wanting to spend a few minutes more soaking in my dreams.

So let me start with my dream last night. It's what prompted me to start this thread and it's a bit PC techy, but the dreams you post here do not need to have any relevance to tech. In fact, I discourage it. It's only because my last dream included bits of tech that tech is included in this post.

Last night I dreamed that I was a fighter pilot in Star Wars, flying an X-wing or something, and I was heatedly firing at the Death Star, except this Death Star isn't the Death Star... It's an AMD CPU! I think it must've been an Athlon 64 X2 or something. As I fired my lasers and ion cannons and torpedoes, the AMD chip flew away. As if in chase, I kept firing at it until it was out of sight.

Weird dream, eh? Funny how the Empire was represented by AMD when in reality Intel seems to be the Empire and AMD is effectively the Rebel Alliance. Oh well, flying AMD CPUs in outer space. Given the vastness of the universe we must have them somewhere out there.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Dreams Thread

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 am

I rarely dream which probably speaks volumes about my sleeping habits. But when I do they are full on weird. Mostly involving people I have known in the past or certain situations.

(FWIW, the rebel alliance are terrorists! :P )
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 am

Actually, to be honest I think you dream tanker27, but just not remember the dreams. I have that when I sleep to short, so one of my pastimes on weekends is getting nuff sleep. Although I do tend to remember bit's and pieces even with short sleep if it has been an intense period with lot's of thoughts going around outside the norm.

But this morning before work, I did have a tiny dream, very classic really.

I wake up, look at the clock radio and its 16:00 (4pm) and then I think oh ****, what did I do, did I managed to oversleep work that badly... BAM, clock radio goes off and I waek up for the third snooze alarm... but I was soo sure I had overslept and was awake. Really hard to get fooled since I practiced lucid dreaming earlier, so I usually don't have a hard time recognizing the fact I'm dreaming. But in that single instant between sleep and wakefulness when you dip a tad too low, you can get sooo fooled.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 am

Makes technical sense if your dreams have sound in them. In space, no one can hear your cooling fans scream as you overclock to fly away.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

ronch wrote:
Last night I dreamed that I was a fighter pilot in Star Wars, flying an X-wing or something, and I was heatedly firing at the Death Star, except this Death Star isn't the Death Star... It's an AMD CPU! I think it must've been an Athlon 64 X2 or something. As I fired my lasers and ion cannons and torpedoes, the AMD chip flew away. As if in chase, I kept firing at it until it was out of sight.

The dream is symbolic. The AMD CPU (clearly an early Bulldozer) represents an object large enough to be visible in outer space and having the power consumption of a habitable, self-contained sphere. Your well-armed, yet unsuccessful pursuit represents the futile attempt to obtain class-leading performance at the expense of all available resources.

And it really kills me to say that. My last AMD system got recycled a month ago, and I haven't had a good reason to buy another :-?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:56 am

I had a bit of a weird one a few nights ago. I was out in my back yard removing dandelions when I heard a hissing sound. I looked up, and right beside the deck was a gas meter that I'd never seen there before. The dial on it was just whirling around--whatever it was connected to was using a lot of gas. As I was wondering why the hell my house had two meters, and how the hell I'd gone so long without even noticing the one by the deck, I woke up.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 am

Recently purchased XCOM: Enemy Unknown - this is one of the most difficult game i have ever come across - This game is so difficult that i am regularly having nightmares and trying to solve this game in my dreams. The good news is, i think i might be able to complete XCOM within 10 days and "never ever play it again".