Apple snags Anand Lal Shimpi

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Apple snags Anand Lal Shimpi

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:29 am

http://recode.net/2014/08/31/veteran-te ... -to-apple/

Probably head of some department/division?
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Re: Apple snags Anand Lal Shimpi

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 am

Not a huge shock. Based on his high standards/knowledge for/of hardware design/function I wish he had gone to work for a place that actually needed his help though. :wink:
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

Maybe they do need his help.

Apple: Hey Anand! You got any ideas how we could make our phones/tablets even better?

Anand: Well, right off the top of my head, ... (20 minutes later) ..., that's just about what I would like.

Apple: :o Uhh, why don't you come join us and turn your vision into reality?

Anand: (failing miserably at containing his excitement) How does tomorrow sound?

Apple: Welcome to Apple!
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:42 am

He's head of his own desk for now.
Probably somewhere in the PR department, but product development is also possible.

The speculation here is funny in that it shows how delusional people are about their own importance.
Just because we found Anand's writing very informative it doesn't mean that Apple did as well.
Ability to critique is not the same as ability to design or build, let alone lead.
windwalker
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 am

Its a curious hire. Anand does have a Computer Engineering degree from N.C. State. But has he ever used it? And I can't fathom that he would be part of Apple's PR dept. It seems to me that they have that already covered. Maybe he is just going to become Apple's head of technical writing? But then again its not like Apple releases a large user manual on a product.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 am

windwalker wrote:Ability to critique is not the same as ability to design or build, let alone lead.

Anand isn't just some random tech writer, he precociously built anandtech.com and led it for years and years in what is a very contested space.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 am

My guess is that he's joined apple to basically carry on doing what he's doing - reviewing their products.

Rather than doing it once the design is finalised and has entered production, he'll probably be providing feedback on products still in development.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

Glorious wrote:Anand isn't just some random tech writer, he precociously built anandtech.com and led it for years and years in what is a very contested space.

You don't even know it means to lead.
Only leading people matters. Sheep and lemonade stands don't need leadership.
windwalker
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 am

windwalker wrote:You don't even know it means to lead.

And you do? As proven by what? Your false criticism that all Anand has done is critique?

windwalker wrote:Only leading people matters. Sheep and lemonade stands don't need leadership.

He ran a successful and independent tech website for over fifteen years. He started it when he was fourteen.

I mean, are you under the false impression that Anand is the only one who posts at anandtech? He isn't, there is an entire staff there. It isn't some personal tech blog, it's actually an organization. In fact, it's literally a company. He wasn't just the editor, he was the CEO. He managed the editorial staff, the writing staff, and all the other business aspects that such a site entails.

You can ignorantly downplay that as "sheep and lemonade stands", but as anyone can tell you, including our gracious hosts here at techreport.com, that's no simple feat. It's actually very impressive, and slagging him off as only some insulated reviewer with the no leadership experience or ability is just ridiculous.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 am

drfish wrote:Not a huge shock. Based on his high standards/knowledge for/of hardware design/function I wish he had gone to work for a place that actually needed his help though. :wink:

So he should work for AMD? Plus, AMD has been a prominent sponsor of AnandTech.
The three pillars of my digital life: AMD FX-8350, Google Nexus 7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro), Intel Core i5-2450M
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 am

tanker27 wrote:Its a curious hire. Anand does have a Computer Engineering degree from N.C. State. But has he ever used it? And I can't fathom that he would be part of Apple's PR dept. It seems to me that they have that already covered. Maybe he is just going to become Apple's head of technical writing? But then again its not like Apple releases a large user manual on a product.

In his iPhone 5 and 5s reviews, he had a hand in some custom code to test the Apple designed CPU cores. He also created what amounts to a 'power virus' (think Fur Mark) for the iPad Air to get it to the system's higher power consumption and induce throttling. A bit behind the scenes, he had to create a test to simulate input for things like battery life testing.

So there are a few places Anand would be suitable in Apple. Product testing comes to mind. He'd make a good manager in the approval process (ie is this design polished enough for release?). This is true for both the hardware and software side of Apple. While his site focused mainly on the hardware aspect of Apple's products, read through the reviews and one will catch several major critiques of Apple's software. He'd also be good for researching/reverse engineering competitor's products due to familiarity with them. Anand wouldn't be a good fit in the marketing department but he'd be great underneath them as a technical PR person. In other words he'd be the voice that tells marketing you need to advertise the hell out of this feature (64 bit etc.).

Random prediction based upon his reviews: he'd have hand in an update to the iOS camera application. One step further is that he'd be an advocate for a more 'professional' camera application for iOS that exposes many more controls that the default iOS application lacks. That's something he and Brian Klug have been mocking for years.
Dual Opteron 6376, 128 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, Radeon 6970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, Radeon 6870, GA-X68XP-UD4
the
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 am

ronch wrote:
drfish wrote:Not a huge shock. Based on his high standards/knowledge for/of hardware design/function I wish he had gone to work for a place that actually needed his help though. :wink:

I doubt Anand could help them in their current situation. Considering how long it takes to design a decent CPU (let alone a Haswell/Broadwell killer), I see the only way AMD could possibly outsell Intel is if they sold two CPU's for the price of one. Yes, dual socket systems for the mainstream!
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:16 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:Considering how long it takes to design a decent CPU (let alone a Haswell/Broadwell killer), I see the only way AMD could possibly outsell Intel is if they sold two CPU's for the price of one. Yes, dual socket systems for the mainstream!

They still haven't produced a 'killer' to the original Nehalem. 8)

the wrote:In his iPhone 5 and 5s reviews, he had a hand in some custom code to test the Apple designed CPU cores. He also created what amounts to a 'power virus' (think Fur Mark) for the iPad Air to get it to the system's higher power consumption and induce throttling. A bit behind the scenes, he had to create a test to simulate input for things like battery life testing.

So there are a few places Anand would be suitable in Apple. Product testing comes to mind. He'd make a good manager in the approval process (ie is this design polished enough for release?). This is true for both the hardware and software side of Apple. While his site focused mainly on the hardware aspect of Apple's products, read through the reviews and one will catch several major critiques of Apple's software. He'd also be good for researching/reverse engineering competitor's products due to familiarity with them. Anand wouldn't be a good fit in the marketing department but he'd be great underneath them as a technical PR person. In other words he'd be the voice that tells marketing you need to advertise the hell out of this feature (64 bit etc.).

Random prediction based upon his reviews: he'd have hand in an update to the iOS camera application. One step further is that he'd be an advocate for a more 'professional' camera application for iOS that exposes many more controls that the default iOS application lacks. That's something he and Brian Klug have been mocking for years.

For full disclosure, I "left" anandtech.com after some of his reviews came under fire for being bought. And also like I did with hardocp their communities became awful. As for where he will end up, I guess we will see.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
ronch wrote:

I doubt Anand could help them in their current situation. Considering how long it takes to design a decent CPU (let alone a Haswell/Broadwell killer), I see the only way AMD could possibly outsell Intel is if they sold two CPU's for the price of one. Yes, dual socket systems for the mainstream!

They tried that (and failed miserably) with Quad FX a few years ago.
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:02 pm

tanker27 wrote:Its a curious hire. Anand does have a Computer Engineering degree from N.C. State. But has he ever used it? And I can't fathom that he would be part of Apple's PR dept. It seems to me that they have that already covered. Maybe he is just going to become Apple's head of technical writing? But then again its not like Apple releases a large user manual on a product.

Yes he has. Don't remember any specifics but he had some engineering or technical job related to his degree that he was working alongside the site for awhile.

I don't understand why so many people think he's going into PR. You don't get a Computer Engineering degree for that and he's worked in the field even while running AT. Apple has some rigorous end user product testing and QC divisions to provide various levels of design feedback and Anand would fit well leading any one of those teams.
Kougar
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:59 am

Something tells me that Anand is going to be present at the unveiling of the next iPhone...
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:36 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:Something tells me that Anand is going to be present at the unveiling of the next iPhone...

I guess we'll see how well he fits into the rim-less glasses and turtleneck.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Msybe he can get Apple to stop using ridiculous proprietary USB micro plugs, make it so a user can actually change their own battery, and allow Ipads to take expandable storage. You know, maybe he'll get Apple to stop treating their users like they are four year old children and tech idiots. Oh wait. Their users *are* four year old children and tech idiots. My mistake.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Return to The Back Porch