Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wonder if DX12 will boost the Xbones performance?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Will direct x 12 not too far around the corner I wonder if it will improve the Xbones performance over PS4 or will the ddr3 memory in the Microsoft box still limit it's performance so much the PS4 will still game better?

I do not own either but I really do wish they would port some Madden a MHL games to the PC like they used to since performance will be so much better on a PC without DX12.

I admit I do miss the sports games on the PC.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Re: Wonder if DX12 will boost the Xbones performance?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:36 pm

It'll supposedly make it easier to utilize the eSRAM cache (won't help much in the real world unless it's automatic), but unless I'm missing something, that will only let it overcome the bandwidth deficit somewhat and the PS4 will still have a bigger GPU.

Edit: It's embedded SRAM, not DRAM.
Last edited by Melvar on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Microsoft has completely redone the esram api to (apparently) greatly improve performance. They claim that the resolution deficit will be over with dx12.
Last edited by sweatshopking on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phaleron
Gerbil

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:15 pm

DX12 appears to scale very well up to 6 cores. This would leave 2 on the Xbox One left, might allow the OS and or features like connect to be always on without a performance penalty anymore. (speculation on my part)

As the CPU's on the XB1 and PS4 are not the most efficient anything you can do to load balance across the cores and drive them harder will make a noticeable difference once the game engines are designed to take advantage of this, as the developers will be able to drive the CPU much harder. MS also has a very robust cooling solution for the XB1 so driving them at full load shouldn't be an issue. Cross compatibility with the PC in DX12 will help ensure that developers will be able to re-use much of the code on the PC and if this is the case then developers will be able to get more performance without anymore work, or less work. If that pans out MS will have a real winner on their hands.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm trying to figure out how an API for PC operating systems is going to help consoles with fixed APIs and featuresets.

Phaleron
Gerbil

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:59 pm

The PS4 and XB1 run x86/64 CPUs and GNC graphics architecture. The CPU instruction set is the defacto standard in home PC's and the GNC architecture is the current one behind all recent Radeon cards from AMD. (DX12 is only compatible with the XB1 and PC, not the PS4 as it requires the OS of the console to be compatible)

DX12 has shown the most gains when the CPU is the limiting factor as it load balances much better across CPU cores. By being able to load balance better you're able to more efficiently all CPU cores. As opposed to 1 or 2 running at full speed and the others idling or running much slower. Once developers code DX12 engines they will be able to increase quality of the graphics displayed on screen along with traditionally CPU bound tasks such as Physics & AI because they are able to take advantage of all of the multi-core CPU architecture that the XB1 (and modern PC's) have. In the case of DX12 early tests show it scaling well up to 6 cores. DX11 scaled to 2 well. It is unknown how well current console tools scale in the public.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how an API for PC operating systems is going to help consoles with fixed APIs and featuresets.

It's coming to the Xbone. Likely as a somewhat slower than their fast API but easier to port to PC.

As for performance of it? It's likely better than the original API, which was slow as hell. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... y-sdk-leak

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Melvar wrote:
It'll supposedly make it easier to utilize the eSRAM cache (won't help much in the real world unless it's automatic), but unless I'm missing something, that will only let it overcome the bandwidth deficit somewhat and the PS4 will still have a bigger GPU.

There are a lot of games that already use it basically as a store for the frame buffer. Any time you see a game using 1408x792, it's because it's the perfect size for the eSRAM cache + some sort of anti-aliasing. Watch_Doge and Titanfall were the two big ones off the top of my head.

Phaleron wrote:
The PS4 and XB1 run x86/64 CPUs and GNC graphics architecture.

So they're supplementing it! I knew those consoles were up to something!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Melvar wrote:

Well the embedded SRAM actually isn't a cache: it is directly accessible. There are no tags for it so any type of caching has to be done via software.

How memory is handled in DX12 does make it easier to utilize the SRAM though.

The real benefits of DX12 will stem from lower CPU overhead. However, since it is a fixed hardware console the software layer was likely trimmed already form what PC developers deal with. In other words, DX12 should have an advantage but it won't be as pronounced on the Xbox One as it is will be on the PC.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Any time you see a game using 1408x792, it's because it's the perfect size for the eSRAM cache + some sort of anti-aliasing

Which apparently should be "comfortably 1080p" now, not 792 according to the new sRAM SDK changes.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:18 am

Maybe, I guess. We'll see. I think I own 4 or 5 games that are at 1080p. For sure I know Diablo 3, GTA 5, Forza 5, and Killer Instinct. There might be another in there. Of those listed, D3 doesn't always run at 60fps like the PS4 version, GTA5 is stuck at 30fps, and the other two run at 60.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 am

I have no idea if it's true, it's just what microsoft is claiming. I've never used an xbox one or ps4, and my time with a ps3 or 360 is less than 1 hour.