Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Fubar
Gerbil
Topic Author

Teleporting in UT

Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:22 pm

Guys/Gals,

Need a little help with UT. Know the game's been out a while but I just started playing it a few months ago. Mainly play CTF games. I was in the CTF-Face map the other night and noticed several other players, while climbing the two hills on either side of the abyss on their way to the opponents castle, were jumping and disappearing and then landing well ahead of where they took off from. They were going from one castle to the next in a couple seconds while it took me several seconds. Also, once they reached the opponents castle they were jumping up to the first ledge with ease to escape my fire.

Is this what's called "teleporting" and how can I do it? I have a feeling I'm at a major competitive disadvantage without knowing how to do this?

CTG
Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:31 pm

Let's see if I remember this right. Switch to "weapon" 1 (not the impact hammer). Left click and you'll launch a disc. Once you right click you'll teleport to wherever that disc ended up.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:38 pm

CTG is correct, this is a great way to win in CTF very easily. Beware though, that enemies can blow up your teleport disk, and you'll have to go, and set up another one.

Good luck!

murray
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:46 pm

If you get really bored, you can try planting where it's not so visible, and telefragging people when they walk over it. Of course, they'll call you a camper and be right, but there's nothing quite like a telefrag :)

Fubar
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:02 pm

Thanks for the hints but I think I may be confused.

If you shoot the disc can you then leave it without right mouse clicking to teleport? Is that what you're referring to when you say shoot it somewhere and then leave it to come back to later?

Also, can you just shoot a rocket or something at an opponents disk and blow it up?

I've been teleporting in the last couple games and it seems to work well but I'm still not getting from point A to point B as fast as some of the other contestants? When they jump I don't see them shooting any disks, it's just them jumping higher and farther than myself? What am I missing?

Thanks again.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:37 pm

UT - Attack of the Mormon missionaries.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:31 am

Is it possible that the other folks have picked up a pair of jump boots?

Fubar
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:22 pm

I thought about that but you only get three jumps with the boots. Some players are doing it constantly. Also, don't think there's any boots on the Face maps I've been playing.

0oALio0

Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:48 am

Play the first CTF map in the campaign, its a tutorial that shows you exactly how to do it. If i remember correctly..

Cross_+_Flame
Gerbil

Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:23 am

Fubar wrote:
Thanks for the hints but I think I may be confused.

1) If you shoot the disc can you then leave it without right mouse clicking to teleport? Is that what you're referring to when you say shoot it somewhere and then leave it to come back to later?

2) Also, can you just shoot a rocket or something at an opponents disk and blow it up?

3) I've been teleporting in the last couple games and it seems to work well but I'm still not getting from point A to point B as fast as some of the other contestants? When they jump I don't see them shooting any disks, it's just them jumping higher and farther than myself? What am I missing?

My answers:

1) yes, you can leave it wherever you dropped it, although if the opponent destroys it with a rocket or other explosion, then if you try to come back to it, you will die. Some folk will drop their teleporter on the ground, then shoot it so that it flies across the map. This is possible with a lot of practice...

2) Yes, with any explosive device (rocket, shock combo, piston, secondary fire razors) When the opponent tries to use the teleporter again, they will die.

3) You can telport high in the air, then secondary fire, then primary fire again in midair. That's how they get so high, and it is easily done after you get the hang of it. I can cross FACE in 1/3 of the time it takes to walk it. You just have to remember that anytime your weapon is out, you can shoot it.

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:19 pm

i think your not going as fast because you dont have the correct rythem going. there is an optimal time to hit the left & right mouse buttons on face for each teleport across the map.

start by left clicking to throw it, then hit the right mouse button while its at the peak of its flight, then you can throw it again w/ the left mouse button immediately (while your still in the air). then wait for your guy to hit the ground and then hit the right mouse button. rinse & repeat.

it sounds WAY more complicated than it actually is in practice.

also, you can throw the disc down, switch to impact hammer, charge it w/ left mouse button, place your crosshairs on the disc, release left mouse button, then your disc will fly across the map.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 05, 2002 10:02 pm

If you use the teleporter (you said that you like CTF), and you're carrying the enemy team's flag, you'll drop it.

One other cool thing--if you launch the disc and it's sitting on the ground while an enemy runs over it. If you teleport the instant the enemy is top of the disc, you'll teleport into his/her body and make them explode.

I love UT!