Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:46 pm

For Velvet Elvis' Census:

These are my characters i play on a regular basis,

Stabbingeel=lvl 44 tauren warrior on stonemaul

Smurk=lvl 10 gnome mage Azgalor (azgalar something like that, realm status is down)
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:57 pm

For the Census:

Vanyar - LVL 43 NE Rogue - Lothar

Bofur - LVL 37 Dwarf Paladin - Lothar

Elleyna - LVL 14 NE Druid - Lothar (when I am bored)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

DJK
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
DJK,
What is your guy's name?

My charecter's name is "Spiritaxe". I edited my post to add that.

I'd love to get a group together here to do an instance or other quests. The weekend would most likely be the best time to do it, since most people have more spare time and can schedule things easier. Personally, I think it would be cool to do WC on Saturday to get some experience as a group and doing group tactics, then tackle one of the harder instances on Sunday. It all depends on what level people are though.

Just a tip if we want to do an instance ot two this weekend; check http://www.thottbot.com first and try and get all the quests related to that instance before we go there. There's nothing worse than spending 3 hours doing an instance just to find that there's an item you missed that could have got you a great quest reward.

Here are some ideas for instances:
Wailing Caverns: Barrens, lvls 18-22
Blackfathom Depths: Ashenvale, lvls 20-27
Razorfan Kraul: Southern Barrens, lvls 30-34
Shadwofang Keep: Silverpine Forrest, lvls 24-26
Keep in mind these are all 'Elete' enemies. If your level equals theirs they'll usually kick your ass if you go 1 on 1.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:11 pm

One note.. alts apparently can't sign the charter... it's one sig per account....

I've got a

14 Tauren Druid (Centaurus) on Earthen Ring
14 Dwarven Hunter (Lochan) on Suramar
12 Human Paladin (Kaela) on Suramar
09 Night Elf Priest (Assamal) on Suramar

I'd be happy to roll up a Horde Character on Whisperwind if you need another sig.. but I don't think I'll end up moving there...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:08 pm

DJK wrote:

Keep in mind these are all 'Elete' enemies. If your level equals theirs they'll usually kick your ass if you go 1 on 1.

MEH....If you are smart (or a rogue) you can do well in instances. I can do Some of the Scarlet Monestary (not the Cathedral or the Armory though maybe at 50), BFD I can do although I still have problems with Akumai but I can carry a level 30 through that instance easy, Gnomeragan, Bah! way too easy not even a challenge I just go there to farm money.

It all comes down to tactics and reducuing that Aggro circle around you.

If you go slow and manage 1 or 2 adds at the most then you will be fine.

BTW Druids are the Ultiamate Soloer, but one in a cave and root doesn't work it becomes harder.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:03 pm

Really? Gnomeregan spanks me hard (well just the Grand Betrayal quest, otherwise the place is just a bunch of weak guys with lots of HPs. Tried to do that quest 3 times with groups avg. lv. 35. Failed each time.
Does anyone remember laughter?

StrangeDay

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:19 pm

RoninGyrbill wrote:
I also may make a character who specializes in enchanting, so we can all have kickass gear. Of course, lvl'ing him up might take some time. :x

That is where low level farming alts come in. I guess I'm taking advantage of that 10 toon per server limit.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:40 pm

BTW Druids are the Ultiamate Soloer

Yep, my druid is level 30 now, and can easily take on three equal level mobs at once and have little to no downtime after the fight. In fact, I can survive four at once, but the battle is a bit closer and there is usually some downtime afterwards. All I do is tank in bear form, use demoralizing roar to lower everyone's attack rating against me, demolish a mob with my claws, shift back to caster form to cast my heals (one direct heal, two heal-over-time spells), and repeat until everything is dead. It's funny, because people will see me soloing three mobs at once and assume that I had a bad pull. They are usually a bit surprised when I tell them that I almost always solo in this fashion. :)

I might not solo as fast as a rogue or mage, but I'd like to see either class survive some of the pulls that I've been through. :lol:
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:36 pm

eckslax wrote:
I might not solo as fast as a rogue or mage, but I'd like to see either class survive some of the pulls that I've been through. :lol:

The biggest reason why a mage (such as myself) cant survive a pull like that is bc mana goes quick. Once you run out of mana, you either have to run or die. Thats the biggest down side imo to mages, so little mana (says the guy with 3000MP).

druidcent

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:41 pm

My Hunter does a pretty good job soloing... if I get unwanted adds, I have my pet attack and growl all of them off of me, I run back and start unloading on one, or healing my pet as it tears through the creatures....

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:37 pm

You know what really sucks? Tryin to get to Nijel's Point in Desolace. I teleport to Darnassus, then fly to Auberdine -> Theramore -> Nijel's Point. Takes at least 10 minutes, maybe more.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:54 am

The biggest reason why a mage (such as myself) cant survive a pull like that is bc mana goes quick. Once you run out of mana, you either have to run or die. Thats the biggest down side imo to mages, so little mana (says the guy with 3000MP).

Yeah, I have a mage (lvl 28 gnome) and I can usually take on two mobs at once by keeping one sheeped, but after I kill the second mob, my mana is basically spent. It's fun to be able to take down a mob in ten seconds or less, but I'm kind of split on whether I prefer fast killing or being able to tank 3+ mobs without much fear of dying. Since I have both characters, I just switch off every once and a while if I get bored. :)

Oh, and for the census:

Ecks - lvl 30 NE Druid - Warsong
Eckmage - lvl 28 Gnome Mage - Warsong
Eckdemon - lvl 29 Gnome Warlock - Warsong

Of the three, the druid is my main, with the mage being my screw-around alt. My warlock is semi-retired until Blizzard decides to fix the class. Warlocks have tons of potential, but they also have some major issues that need to be worked out before I even consider taking one into large scale PvP. At the moment, I'm playing on Warsong exclusively, but once I get one of my characters to 60, I'll probably spend some time on Windrunner.

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:27 am

eckslax wrote:
My warlock is semi-retired until Blizzard decides to fix the class. Warlocks have tons of potential, but they also have some major issues that need to be worked out before I even consider taking one into large scale PvP.

What's wrong with Warlocks? I just started one last night on Shadow Moon, so I don't want to dedicate too much time to him if he ends up being gimped.

=Census=
Baleog- lvl 24 Dwarf Hunter - Suramar
Alexi- lvl 6 Human Warlock - Shadow Moon
Caliban- lvl 5 Undead Priest - Windrunner

(I have others, but these are my main toons.)
Last edited by Dizik on Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:11 am

What's wrong with Warlocks? I just started one last night on Shadow Moon, so I don't want to dedicate too much time to him if he ends up being gimped.

Well, it's kind of complicated. For PvE, Warlocks are excellent. They can solo equal level elites and they tend to have little to no downtime between fights if you spec a certain way. Most of the problems don't enter the equation until you get into PvP.

First of all, you cannot get shards in PvP. Since your pets and some of your better spells require shards, people are forced to go out and farm shards before engaging in PvP. Blizzard claims that they are working on a solution to this issue, so things will get better in reguards to shards in PvP.

Second, and possibly the most pressing issue, is the lack of escape methods. Mages have sheep, their aoe ice blast, blink, frost armor, etc. that can slow or stop an attack in their place. Warlocks have two tricks up their sleeve for escaping, and both have issues. The most notable Warlock escape method is fear. Fear works just fine in PvE, but has been nerfed by Blizzard in PvP. It tends to not last as long as it should, and if you are an Alliance warlock, you'll have trouble fighting undead players (as their WoTF ability is an "I-win" button against fear). Fear is still useful, but it pales in comparison to other methods of CC in PvP. Their second method of escape/CC is the succubus' seduce spell. It's a very effective spell, but it ties you to one pet if you tend to rely upon it. Honestly, I would rather use my imp than my succubus, as I'd rather have the ranged DPS and large stamina buff, not to mention the fact that the imp doesn't require a shard to cast.

There are evidently some other random bugs with certain Warlock spells and abilities, but the only one I've been able to pick out is the pets lagging behind during travel. This is not only a problem with Warlocks, but also Hunters. Over time, the pathing routes that pets take tends to make them lag behind the player. This is a bigger issue with Warlocks, because once a pet lags far enough behind, it dissapears. You can resummon it, but it requires an additional shard. Blizzard has said they they are looking at this issue as well.

Overall, I would say play a Warlock and see if you enjoy it. It's a fun class, and by the time you reach a high enough level to PvP, it'll probably be fixed. Warlocks have tons of utility, have very nice sustained DPS, and can be quite valuable in groups. Once their issues are fixed, I can see Warlocks being a very powerful character in both PvE and PvP.

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:20 pm

BTW: What does "CC" mean? Same question for "proc."

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:07 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
BTW: What does "CC" mean? Same question for "proc."

Crowd Control.

Mages have excellent crowd control.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:12 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Crowd Control.
Mages have excellent crowd control.

Thanks! Now the WoW boards make more sense.

pjp
Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:25 pm

For census: Firokash - Suramar - Lvl 59 Hunter.

If you're into soloing, hunters are great - little downtown and a pet to give you company :) People say we're not needed as much in high level instances, so I have yet to see how that goes (haven't done Molten Core, UBRS or Scholomance, yet - though starting Onyxia chain tonight!).

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:36 pm

pjp wrote:

And I think you have the record for highest level character for TR. :o

druidcent

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Hey.. are you alliance or horde on Suramar? I've got a bunch of alliance there...

Also "proc" is short for process... which usually denotes an ability which occurs randomly usually during combat.. for example Paladin's Seal of Retribution has a chance to do an addition x-y points of holy damage per hit. So when it does extra damage, it will have just proc'ed

Hope that clears it up :D

dolemitecomputers

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:38 pm

I think the better PVP battles are not going to be the random one on one or three on one like now but in the battlegrounds. It seems that there will be a lot more strategies and things will be faster paced.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:29 am

OK i spent 18G to learn horseback riding. I almost have 72G for a horse (at 65G now). Is there anything else that i need to spend a fortune on to ride a horse??

I dont think its fair pallys and warlocks dont have to pay for a horse. I wouldnt mind so much if i could tele to more places, even though it costs more to do that than just flying via gryphons.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:04 am

Heck I wish there were more gryphon routes!

To get to NIjel's Point, Desolace you cant just get there from Dark Shore you have to fly to Theremore then back up to Desolace. the gryphon from Darkshore to Theremore fly RIGHT BY Nijel's point, WTF!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:09 am

pjp wrote:

If you're into soloing, hunters are great - little downtown and a pet to give you company :) People say we're not needed as much in high level instances, so I have yet to see how that goes (haven't done Molten Core, UBRS or Scholomance, yet - though starting Onyxia chain tonight!).

no offense but I clearly understand why Hunters are less wanted in a lot of instances.

For example I grouped with a lvl 53 Hunter for the Cathedral portion of Scarlet Monastry and all his raptor did was cause a huge aggro all the time. It would always run after the fleeing hurt bad guys and bring back more. Finally after 2 rezz's the priest who was also the leader told him to put his pet away and just use his bow. Needless to say we did much better after that.

But I have also seen the other side I have encountered Hunters that have masterd their pet and can manage it successfully.

Great solo'ers but not so great end game if they don't or cant' control their pets.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

StrangeDay

Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:34 am

druidcent wrote:
Also "proc" is short for process... which usually denotes an ability which occurs randomly usually during combat.. for example Paladin's Seal of Retribution has a chance to do an addition x-y points of holy damage per hit. So when it does extra damage, it will have just proc'ed

Hope that clears it up :D

It does. Thanks.

I thought that was what it meant. I think the guys that use those terms are leftovers from playtesting (since they seem to have intimate knowledge of the equations in the code) or very long term players. Either way they weren't explaining it.

tanker27 wrote:
I clearly understand why Hunters are less wanted in a lot of instances.

For example I grouped with a lvl 53 Hunter for the Cathedral portion of Scarlet Monastry and all his raptor did was cause a huge aggro all the time. It would always run after the fleeing hurt bad guys and bring back more. Finally after 2 rezz's the priest who was also the leader told him to put his pet away and just use his bow. Needless to say we did much better after that.

But I have also seen the other side I have encountered Hunters that have masterd their pet and can manage it successfully.

I have similar problems with my Warlock pets. The trick is to learn to adjust their setting mid-combat. For instance: When fighting a fleeing mob, and I notice my Voidwalker is going to draw about a half dozen adds onto me ... I flip him to passive, and he lets the mob go, returning to me. I can still kill the mob, with DoT remaining (I use the "Big Warlock Three"), or with a Searing Pain.

I also use this trick when Fear-Kiting with my Imp. Near Tarren Mills, it is easy for the Imp to get too aggressive, and chase a Feared mob into a bevy of huge aggro Giant Bears, or God forbit ... those Yetis, and bring me all kinds of pain.

I haven't gotten my Hunter alt up high enough to get a pet, but I imagine there is some sort of similar control.

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:02 am

For the census, I'm a lvl 54 Tauren druid on Malygos. Haven't played in about 2 weeks, and am thinking about giving up my account due to time constraints. Also, druids begin to suck at higher levels.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:35 am

As a Hunter you need to be paying attention to what your pet is doing.

Also there is a mod out there to prevent a pet from auto chasing a mob, even if it is on passive.

I have found that on passive and sent to attack it will stil chase a fleeing mob. The Mod has helped a lot.

I wouldn't go without it. My usuall group members love mine since it holds agro so well and prevents them from getting hit. Unless we have a pally or Warrior.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

pjp
Gerbil

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:06 am

druidcent wrote:
Hey.. are you alliance or horde on Suramar? I've got a bunch of alliance there...

Oops, forgot that part, I'm alliance (Night Elf). And yeah, you certainly need to know what your pet is up to - anyone that does not have their pet on passive in an instance needs to learn how to play their class. Pets seem to get a lot of blame, though - what people sometimes don't realise that a runner will bring adds whether there's anything chasing it or not, it runs to get help and comes back with friends. However, a good hunter won't allow runners - if anything moves that's what we have Concussive Shot for, or Wing Clip if in melee range.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:26 am

Also, druids begin to suck at higher levels.

They don't suck at high levels, but their DPS in cat form doesn't scale properly. This is being fixed by Blizzard in the next patch though, so it's not going to be a permanent problem. Druids do suck if you stick to only one strategy when in a fight. The trick to playing a Druid is to use the versatility to your advantage. If you stay in cat or bear form for an entire PvP fight, you are going to lose. If you use your entire bag of tricks, then you're going to be hard to stop.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:32 am

You are absolutly right PjP but theres still a problem where a person gets to 60 and STILL does not know how to play his class.

Also Druids do not suck at higher levels I myself have a guild mate who is a lvl 60 druid and hes is the best as they come. He knows when to heal, when to change forms (dang guy can tank and lay some serious DPS), etc. He is most certainly the reason why I started a 3rd alt.

It all comes down to knowing how to play your class! Thats what seperates....then men from the boys or the kids from the adults. Understanding class procs is a start but not the end all!

I myself being a DPS Rouge understand what I need to do: open with: Cheap Shot (CS), Sinister Strike(SS), SS, then a five point eviscerate for 1200-1600dmg.

Rinse and repeat. Also my poisons add to the procs. Instant III and Mind numbing for those cloth users.

Also alot has to do with equipment. (Since druids can wear leather there are alot of good high end leather pieces out there) Find the best equipment for your level and you will be the best at that level. so many of my quests revolve around equipment I can use. This is where the evil Thottbot.com comes in handy.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')