Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:11 pm

I did But my laptop on has a 16MB Radeon Mobility. It really did not run well. I guess I need more VID RAM.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

azangerle
Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:23 pm

I frequently play WOW at work. I have a Dell 2650.

1.6ghz Nvidia 2go 32mb.

and here is the kicker.

Because of websense, I play on a 26.2kbps dial up connection.

It works fine, and i noticed that its the laptop that is the limiting factor not the connection.

Thank you Blizzard for some damn fine netcode.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:52 pm

azangerle wrote:

Thank you Blizzard for some damn fine netcode.

That's amazing.

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Anyone try WoW from your laptop yet? I might try getting that working this weekend. Then I can play on lunch breaks at work or when doing system upgrades.

I do it all the time from school on my emachines 6811. No problems at all.

BTW: If we do RFK this afternoon, I made 30. Brewtal is not far behind. I have to meet Action Jim, and ManosHOF IRL for a bit, but I'll be in this afternoon. I'll look up the TR Windrunner Horde guys then. See you!

DJK
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:03 am

Just so everyone knows, I have to go to Church and Bible study from 2:00 PM till 3:30 PM (server time) today. I'll be able to do RFK after that.

MarshaLaw
Gerbil

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:21 pm

Yay! Made level 30 :D I am going to dinner with the wife around 4:00pm (server time), I should be on by 6 if you guys are willing to wait for me for RFK.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:08 pm

I have not of those one WoW. :( Oh one more thing, what World of WarCraft to requirement system is? I just wonder...
FX-55|Patriot 1GB DDR400|BFG 7600GT|Rosewill 550W PSU|Biostar nforce4 SLI|Samsung SATA 300GB HDD

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:51 pm

System req:
Pentium 3 800 Mhz or equivalent
256MB RAM
32MB video card (64 recommended)
4GB hard drive space

I'm trying to train a stable of profession characters...so much fun. You also make vastly faster progress with the low level ones.

StrangeDay

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:48 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm trying to train a stable of profession characters...so much fun. You also make vastly faster progress with the low level ones.

A guild thing I've heard is to try to keep the number of "production" professions to a max of two each, and keep "gathering" professions really high. The reason for this, is the production skills are very hard to keep leveling on your own. In a guild, with others providing you the raw materials, it is much easier. Plus, individual guild members generally stay wealthier, as the production skills are huge money sinks (until you learn to make the "big ticket" items. For me those have been Dark Silk Shirts.)

A guild would need two enchanters, becuase it is impossible to enchant for your alts without mailing everything, which (as I well know) gets expensive, and is a huge hassle.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:56 pm

Herbalist (300) and Alchemist (250) here. If anyone comes across any high level alchemy recipes lemme know. I lost a bidding war for a greater shadow resistance potion the other day (sigh) in the IF AH, but o well.

Anyone ever come across good uncommon/rare/epic items that they dont need? Maybe we should start a thread where you can post goodies you have for sale and let TR people have first crack at em before putting em up for auction? If only i had this idea afew days ago...i found a [The Ziggler] which went for just shy of 20G.
Does anyone remember laughter?

StrangeDay

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:13 pm

random gerbil wrote:
If only i had this idea afew days ago...i found a [The Ziggler] which went for just shy of 20G.
Boy that is nice. Good idea. We can still transfer stuff over Gadgetzan to you Alliance boys.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:44 am

This is a bizarre concept but does anyone play with female characters? I have 3 males and 2 females and I noticed that other players are drastically kinder to the female ones. They go out of their way to heal them, make better trades with them, etc.

It's sad, but they probably have some sort of idea that I'm 5'10", 135 pounds and gorgeous because that's what my avatar looks like.

Disturbing. :o

Edit: this may only apply to human avatars, as orc and troll females are not very attractive to fanboys.
Last edited by Hawkwing74 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrangeDay

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:23 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
It's sad, but they probably have some sort of idea that I'm 5'10", 135 pounds and gorgeous because that's what my avatar looks like.
Don't ask too many questions. Just enjoy it and move on. We are a legion of "Comic Book Guy" types, and this is about as close to a female as some of these blokes can get for a few years. Just run if any of them try and "cyber" with you. :wink:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Looks like ports are blocked at work so I can't play during lunch. Drat!

How do you tell if a port is blocked other than the fact that the game doesn't work?

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
This is a bizarre concept but does anyone play with female characters? I have 3 males and 2 females and I noticed that other players are drastically kinder to the female ones. They go out of their way to heal them, make better trades with them, etc.

Edit: this may only apply to human avatars, as orc and troll females are not very attractive to fanboys.

:P i must admit I'm kinda guilty of this.. Perhaps its the way we are raised.. but when I see a woman fighting all by herself.. I stop and help out.. and if i make trades I'm overly generous.. Also feel the same about gnomes though.. those little guys running around.. :lol:

I would never play as a woman's character.. so i naively assume others wouldn't either, unless they were girls or trying to trick others..

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Hellsbellboy wrote:
I would never play as a woman's character.. so i naively assume others wouldn't either, unless they were girls or trying to trick others..
This is an interesting point, you would only play as a male because you are male? Hmm. I have such a variety of characters that none of them are very similar to me...besides I'm going with the George Martin naming scheme so it's hard to run an orc or troll and have it be a Martin-esque name.

Is it strange to run a female character? I doubt all the human females running around are really female, otherwise WoW would have a ratio of female gamers that's statistically very high.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Anyone do the Divino Rod quest in Zul Farrak?? That is ass kicking of a lifetime (at least until you do the raid instances from what i hear). Yeah i have gotten slaughtered there a good 10 times now in the past two days. If only 4 Pallys would come along then we'd have a chance lol.

DJK
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:10 pm

random gerbil wrote:
Anyone do the Divino Rod quest in Zul Farrak?? That is ass kicking of a lifetime (at least until you do the raid instances from what i hear). Yeah i have gotten slaughtered there a good 10 times now in the past two days. If only 4 Pallys would come along then we'd have a chance lol.

I don't think any of the TR regulars are that high level yet. Most of the TR people I group with are low - mid 30's right now, so we're nowhere near tackling Zul'Farrak.

On another note, your local TR group on Windrunner just kicked some quilboar ass in Razorfen Kraul. It was a tough fight in spots (we wiped twice) but we made it through and had fun doing it!

StrangeDay

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 pm

DJK wrote:
random gerbil wrote:
On another note, your local TR group on Windrunner just kicked some quilboar ass in Razorfen Kraul. It was a tough fight in spots (we wiped twice) but we made it through and had fun doing it!

I'm trying my damnedest to power level a Priest to make sure that doesn't happen again. I'm on spring break, so hopefully it won't take another month.

DJK
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
I'm trying my damnedest to power level a Priest to make sure that doesn't happen again. I'm on spring break, so hopefully it won't take another month.

What level are you now and what's your charecter? Maybee I can help out.

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:46 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
DJK wrote:
random gerbil wrote:

Kicking quill ass was a good time. I was telling Velvet that if we had a priest we wouldnt have wiped once. I think he took that as a challenge to get his Priest leveled before the next instance.

I havent started an alt on windrunner yet. I am thinking about doing a rogue. They seem to be the class least bitched about. Plus alot of their abilities sound super cool. Plus, the first 10 levels go so fast you're always are getting new stuff.
I'm Draal, on WoW, Windrunner Server.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:49 pm

So hard to find priests for Zul Farrak. Even getting a pally or druid to come takes effort. Sigh.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:56 pm

I'll have a paladin one of these days that's around 30+ but he's Alliance.

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:07 pm

Heh i just finshed the quests for zullfarak a week or so ago. You get awesome quest rewards, carrot on a stick, nice ring, etc but it is difficult. We had a lvl 60 mage, which helped alot, but our healer was a lvl 50 or so shaman, so it wasnt a cakewalk. Ive been wanting to do mauradon but havent gotten a group together for it yet.
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Grumpy_Eel wrote:

Heh i just finshed the quests for zullfarak a week or so ago. You get awesome quest rewards, carrot on a stick, nice ring, etc but it is difficult. We had a lvl 60 mage, which helped alot, but our healer was a lvl 50 or so shaman, so it wasnt a cakewalk. Ive been wanting to do mauradon but havent gotten a group together for it yet.

Lol i dunno, carrot on a stick seems like a crappy reward for all this. 3% movement speed is nothin for me. Considering i can tele to SW, IF, and Darnassus and hearth to Gadget. Doesnt take me long to get anywhere. Hopefully by the end of the week i will be at 50 and convince a bunch of other 50+ people to come along. Even then sometimes its hard to get a group together that clicks.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:02 pm

DJK wrote:
I don't think any of the TR regulars are that high level yet. Most of the TR people I group with are low - mid 30's right now, so we're nowhere near tackling Zul'Farrak.

Well I'm sitting at 47 with my hunter, but I'm on the wrong server and the alliance side. So I guess it doesn't matter.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

pjp
Gerbil

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:59 am

Probably took about 4-5 attempts to finally complete Divino quest (was mid 50s on my hunter, probably). That Mason's Fraternity Ring was worth the effort, though! Supposedly Zul'Farrak is going to get some tweaking to make thing more manageable in there - the stuck in combat bug is really annoying >_< Can't wait to run through some more instances on my priest - only done BFD and Stockades so far, though we had another priest for Stockades so I played as a nuker instead of a healer :P

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 pm

Any miners notice bugs where you try to mine copper and get stuck until you logoff?...slightly annoying. On another note, mining is incredibly difficult to do compared to some of the other professions. Monsters constantly guard mines...

I got skinning, tailoring, leather, up over 100 with almost no effort, but that damn mining and blacksmithing :roll:

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:40 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Any miners notice bugs where you try to mine copper and get stuck until you logoff?...slightly annoying. On another note, mining is incredibly difficult to do compared to some of the other professions. Monsters constantly guard mines...

I got skinning, tailoring, leather, up over 100 with almost no effort, but that damn mining and blacksmithing :roll:

There are a few static nodes that cause that bug but not many. I think it only happens with copper too. But as you say, slightly annoying. As of right now, I am 215 mining and only 190 blacksmithing so I have lots of mithril just waiting to be made into armor and weapons. Need more IRON! Also, I'm 3 lvls away from being able to wear mail so I can make my own armor soon! Keep with it; it gets more fun.

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Lol i dunno, carrot on a stick seems like a crappy reward for all this. 3% movement speed is nothin for me. Considering i can tele to SW, IF, and Darnassus and hearth to Gadget. Doesnt take me long to get anywhere. Hopefully by the end of the week i will be at 50 and convince a bunch of other 50+ people to come along. Even then sometimes its hard to get a group together that clicks.

Heh im a warrior so i wanted my mount THE SECOND i turned i turn 40, and i wanted my carrot. Didnt get the mount till like early 41 though.

I tried to make a run though zul last night with 2 other warriors, a druid, and a shaman, and we got our asses kicked. We didnt click at all. The druid and the shaman fought over who should have to heal, (one of the times they were arguing i died, which broke my chestplate *sigh*) and all the warriors just went off on their own. We got a little ways in then druid had to leave, and we had to quit. Suckage.
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.