Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Re: World Of Warcraft

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 am

tanker27 wrote:
Garrison's are wonderful. Stack treasure hunting trait on multiple alts then profit! I've never really had much gold, holding on to bare minimums enough to survive on weekly raiding while providing my own food, pots, flasks, and repairs since vanilla. Since WoD I have gone from 100k to 23million (spread around characters and alt guilds) in gold just off of Garrison's and the follower treasure missions, even after they nurfed it this last big patch. I still average making ~5K every few days. As of right now I have suspended my subscription, I was paying every 6 months. I was just charged last month and I have since added enough tokens to play for free until Feb 2017, 10 tokens.

I log in enough to reset follower missions and my 2 raid days. But that's about it.

We will see what the next xpac brings since Blizzcon is next week. I hope it launches sooner like FEB 2016 rather than a 2016 summer launch.

Yeah... you pretty much outlined why so many dislike the Garrison. "Lame" is about the best I can describe your money making setup. I get why you do it, but that type of stuff just shouldn't be in the game. It stripes all sense of accomplishment from the game, which it use to have in spades but with each expansion pack they've removed more and more.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:41 pm

HEH, besides my money making scheme yeah Garrisons are worthless. I would rather have SWTOR or Wild Star housing. As for Achieves, there's still plenty out there. WoW has a lot of content.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Rageypoo
Gerbil

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:56 pm

This thread is 11 years old, holy moley.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:09 pm

tanker27 wrote:
HEH, besides my money making scheme yeah Garrisons are worthless. I would rather have SWTOR or Wild Star housing. As for Achieves, there's still plenty out there. WoW has a lot of content.

I'm looking for accomplishments. Those don't necessarily add to your achievement score.

WoW once upon a time had a wild west feel. You remembered all the good guys and bad guys on your server. You had a sense of community even when you were a lowbie. You felt cool just to stand next to someone who had a couple of epics and a mount. Because you knew that meant something, and it didn't require you remember which "Brutally Vicious Axe" or "Tyrannical Domination Axe" that look identical other than a slight color change was the right one to mean "good."

There's a lot of big and small changes which have contributed to this feeling. "Mega servers" and raid finder are the two biggest that stand out. Making world PvP an after thought also does too.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:29 pm

World pvp was always an afterthought, it was never as great as people make it sound....most world pvp is just ganking. Plus with the population drop on in wow, now you will be able to get to know everyone on your server.

The day of the special snowflake with epiks is long gone, and the game is much better for it. The days of tiered attunements and only a small percentage raiding will no longer work. I doubt people would be content only to run dungeons, or the first few bosses in the first raid for 2 years in an expansion. LFR may not be that great, but it is better than the situation was like before.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
LFR may not be that great, but it is better than the situation was like before.

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on that point.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 am

I just dont get the LFR hate, think it more comes down to raiders running it to do their legendary quests. Many of the people that run LFR will not ever even raid, where back in the day most people would never see the inside of a raid. Kind of how illidan was on the box back in BC, but a large percentage of the people playing never even got to see the inside of karazan, much less black temple. It seems it is popular to hate on LFR right now, but it really isn't any different when people wish for LFD to go away and people have to make their own groups for dungeons. It isn't going to happen, LFR and LFD is here to stay...and people just need to get over it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:33 am

Personally, I have no animosity against LFR. In fact I think it's good in two ways: 1) I can gear alt relatively easily, so should my normal progression raid needs a class or type I can fill the void and not be behind the tanks in DPS. Especially when it comes down to end of xpac days. 2) As an officer for my guild I have been able to recruit some amazing players from LFR to join our raid group. While this is very infrequent it has happened, 3 since MoP.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:48 pm

I have to qualify what I said against LFR. I actually mostly enjoyed LFR, getting in one with a few friends to gab about it in vent and it was a quick way to learn some of the moves for each boss, although it was hard to judge what was bad to step in because it did not sting much. It was kind of annoying how long it took to do those quests for sigels from Wrathion. They never seemed to drop. I did my first tanking in LFR (forgot to change specs by accident, I usually did my dailies in blood spec till I got a little stronger) with a couple tank friends along on their dps tunes giving me tips.

I think LFR would be a little better if it stung more to stand in bad stuff. Although I guess that would just make it harder on healers :D because newbies will stand in it anyway. On the other hand, it was nice to see all the flash and bang and effects without simply wiping.

And it chapped my hide just a smidge that the gear from running 10-man was only barely better than LFR gear. I would like to see the true raid gear have a better advantage because it did after all take quite a bit of hard work to get it. Either better specs or way cooler looking would have made me more happy.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:38 pm

X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:30 am

It looks like we will be waiting for the next expansion until Sept of next year "at the latest". I does seem rather strange that they announce this shortly after they say they will not be tracking subscriber numbers, as it is likely they will plummet even more with nearly a year and a half with their final raid. It really makes me sad to see this happen to the game, as it may not recover from this....as it seems the money from wow has been going to other things, and leaving players with a scanty rushed mess of an expansion. I have no real idea what to say after 10 years of playing what blizz is thinking... :(

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:15 am

Ehh. At least it'll give me time to play other things. Let's see on my list is:

Withcer3 and its xpacs
Fallout 4
Swtor- this new xpac and monthly chapter releases are really cool/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

GatoRat
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:40 pm

This thread 11 years old, which also means that I've been playing WoW for 11 years! (For the last four with long breaks between upgrades.) World of Tanks is the only other game I've spent so much time on.

For those who think it's silly, some fathers connect with their teenage sons through sports. I connected through World of Warcraft.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Whew. The Legion class notes... looks like Blizzard has given up all pretense that they aren't trolling the player base.

Example 1: Monks - "We can't make damage + healing work, so we're getting rid of it." Priests - "We have this new idea for Discipline: Damage and healing!"

It will be fun and interesting to see my father rage; He's new to the game in Draenor and hasn't had his favorite classes/play-styles radically changed yet.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Whew. The Legion class notes... looks like Blizzard has given up all pretense that they aren't trolling the player base.

I can agree with this theory.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:08 am

I like the fact that they said combat rogue has had a complete redesign, I was looking forward to the class info today. Compared to what they did to other classes they completely redesigned, I am very disappointed. They did get rid of bandits guile and revealing strike, 2 terrible abilities we have had to deal with for the last few exp. Then for the other abilities, they were mostly namechanged old abilities...and they added the new gun shot ability. Wow, color me underwhelmed....on top of that instead of fixing the class, and getting rid of crappy mandatory buffs like every other class, hey slice and dice is awesome right?

I am happy with the flavor and theme, but they really didn't fix the issues with the class, like manadatory anticipation, along with low haste levels at the beginning of the exp screwing us over...and making us a spammy mess at the end of the exp. I honestly expected more than a rename of the class and most of the default abilities, I was actually looking forward to real change. Well maybe they will fix it like they have every exp....

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:06 am

Starfalcon wrote:
I like the fact that they said combat rogue has had a complete redesign, I was looking forward to the class info today. Compared to what they did to other classes they completely redesigned, I am very disappointed. They did get rid of bandits guile and revealing strike, 2 terrible abilities we have had to deal with for the last few exp. Then for the other abilities, they were mostly namechanged old abilities...and they added the new gun shot ability. Wow, color me underwhelmed....on top of that instead of fixing the class, and getting rid of crappy mandatory buffs like every other class, hey slice and dice is awesome right?

I am happy with the flavor and theme, but they really didn't fix the issues with the class, like manadatory anticipation, along with low haste levels at the beginning of the exp screwing us over...and making us a spammy mess at the end of the exp. I honestly expected more than a rename of the class and most of the default abilities, I was actually looking forward to real change. Well maybe they will fix it like they have every exp....

Its just a preview. Don't throw in the towel just yet. And this goes for all classes.

There's still a talent overhaul and artifacts affecting those said talents and abilities to come. But its funny reading the WOW Forums, not a single class liked their preview. Every single class forum is going all ape-$#!7 over how they broke this and that, and that will never work, etc. etc.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:02 am

Since WoD I have gone from 100k to 23million (spread around characters and alt guilds) in gold just off of Garrison's and the follower treasure missions, even after they nurfed it this last big patch.

Ouch, how many darn characters do you have?!

I went from 30K ish to 1.5M but I can't stand tending to more than 5 garrisons.
Nets me between 80K-100K / week.
Even that gets annoying so that when my gametime expires I'll put the account on ice till legion, sine EU token prices are climbing rapidly and are already @ 62K.

While I do hope that they will keep an easy way to make gold in legion, so I can continue to play via Token, I do hope that the constant alt-login fest that current Garrison tending equates to will be no longer required.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:30 am

1 Main and 3 100lvl alts. On the alts I just do the follower missions. Seriously stack nothing but the treasure hunting trait on followers and only do the gold and garrison resource missions. I have been slowing down now, only logging in during raid days and occasionally an additional day for only about and hour. I'll ramp up here after the holidays and if I get a beta invite for Legion. Oh and we know that all the class changes will happen at least a month or two before Legion drops because that's what Blizz always has done and supposedly there will be a huge intro quest line that will lead us directly to Legion Release. Blizzard also has said that when the patch for the class changes and Legion intro drop they will also release the starter quests for Demon Hunter so everyone can decide if that's the class they will play before Legion release.

As for Legion and garrisons, I imagine they wont turn it 'off' when Legion goes live. So I am planning to leave alts behind and still tend to garrisons. Hey its free gold the way I see it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:03 am

Yeah, the class previews are just previews. What we're getting is the theory/goals for each spec. As for that, here are some of my thoughts for classes.

Hunter: Pretty solid. I don't play hunter, but it does seem like BM and MM are going to be pretty well focused, and Survival is going to (essentially) be a new spec. The only downside is that current survival hunters are changing from ranged to melee, which I can see being annoying for sure.

Priest: Holy looks fine; Shadow sounds awesome; Discipline is going to be a mess for the developers. Even if they make it work, they are going to have a ton of work keeping them balanced so they aren't replacing "real" DPS nor getting left our because their healing is sub-par. I really wish they would just focus Discipline on tank healing. Give us one really good shield that we keep on the tank and replenish with other abilities.

Sidebar: damage-healing for Discipline could work if other healing specs got damage-healing modes, too...but it doesn't look like that is the plan.

Death Knight: I already thought DKs were in a good place. Blood and Frost work, and they aren't changing much. Unholy sounds like it's going to be more of a meleeDOT class, or at least it should be. I also like the rune change. I think that will streamline the class a bit.

Paladin: RIP holy power...I will really miss you. Ret is keeping it (and it definitely works there), but I think that Holy and Protection are going to have less flavor without it. Maybe it would have been better to just have holy power generate regularly without abilities.

Warlock: I guess going to soul shards makes sense, but I still have many questions about them. Are they going back to having a large pool of them, or are we still going to be managing just a few? Affliction and Destruction felt good, and Demo is getting some love to clean up the mechanics. What I find really interesting is how Priests and Demon Hunters seem to be stealing Metamorphosis.

Rogue: I've never gotten deep into this class, but these changes make a damn good case for it. I never got a clear sense of what made each spec special. Now, each spec is getting a clear identity. Assassination is sticking with most of the typical abilities. Combat getting replaced by Outlaw seems like a decent idea to have a spec focused on dealing damage with weapons and strong abilities as opposed to poisons or quick strikes. The biggest thing I'm looking for is flavorful abilities to disrupt targets. Cheap shots should help define this class and make it fun.

And Subtlety is high on my list of things to try in Legion. I really like the idea of actively dropping in and out of stealth (or a stealth stance) during combat. My only concern--which WILL get hammered out in beta--is that if stealth keeps its own action bar, you won't want to drop into stealth randomly, as that could mess up your rotation. But like I said, this WILL get hammered out in beta if it hasn't already been addressed in initial testing.

For all the other classes, I either don't play them enough or don't have strong feelings about them. Several specs were already in good places, so they don't need to change.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 am

1 Main and 3 100lvl alts.

Your post is misleading then. You did not make 23M gold (did you mean 2.3M?) with 4 characters doing Garrison missions alone.
Even pre nerf that wouldn't have been possible as I'd top out at around 60K/week with 5 gold farm optimized garrisons.
The Nerf slashed that roughly down to 50%.

As far as Garrison missions in Legion are concerned: Knowing Blizzard they will nerf the crap out of it and then some. They do NOT like it if a player feels "encouraged" to constantly spend time in old content.

But then again, new expansion new materials that sell for absolutely obscene prices (esp now that most people are fat and rich due to Garrisons) ... mmmh should be fun. :D

Paladin: RIP holy power...I will really miss you. Ret is keeping it (and it definitely works there), but I think that Holy and Protection are going to have less flavor without it. Maybe it would have been better to just have holy power generate regularly without abilities.

As a pre Holy power tank pally and pre Orb shadow priest: I won't.
If I want to play a spec with friggin como point mechanics I would have rolled a rogue.

I'm happy to see Holy Power (and Shadow Orbs for that matter) go away.
Last edited by Ifalna on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:05 am

tanker27 wrote:
As for Legion and garrisons, I imagine they wont turn it 'off' when Legion goes live. So I am planning to leave alts behind and still tend to garrisons. Hey its free gold the way I see it.

I agree they won't turn it off but I have seen them nerf gold in the past. You have tons already, shouldn't inconvenience you. At the person who tended 5 garrisons...I could barely tend 1 when I played. I thought I would love garrison but its just boring. I can't imagine it would be that hard for them to patch in additional follower quests and what not.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
At the person who tended 5 garrisons...I could barely tend 1 when I played. I thought I would love garrison but its just boring. I can't imagine it would be that hard for them to patch in additional follower quests and what not.

I completely agree.

I don't do it because it is fun or anything, I do it because I feel royally dumb for NOT doing it because 25K/week for 5 minutes/day inconvenient login spamming is way out of whack.

As much as I will miss the EZ-mode income, I will be happy when I don't have to do it anymore.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 am

Ifalna wrote:

Your post is misleading then. You did not make 23M gold (did you mean 2.3M?) with 4 characters doing Garrison missions alone.
Even pre nerf that wouldn't have been possible as I'd top out at around 60K/week with 5 gold farm optimized garrisons.

No I have made 23Million in WoD. About 80% on garrisons alone for the brunt of it. Now its a slow trickle because I am not tending as much. Even after the nurf there are still days that I get 4 or 5 gold missions on one alt. I suspect the nurf is less than the announced 50%.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 am

No I have made 23Million in WoD. About 80% on garrisons alone for the brunt of it. Now its a slow trickle because I am not tending as much. Even after the nurf there are still days that I get 4 or 5 gold missions on one alt. I suspect the nurf is less than the announced 50%.

Garrisons missions never gave THAT much gold.
4-5 gold missions/day*alt still is quite common.

The nerf is 50% for a 5 character setup. It is a diminishing return that gets stronger the more characters you have, because they wanted to stop people from leveling alts just for garrison gold.

50% is an empirical value, I observed my income for months before/after the nerf on a weekly basis using the addon "Accountant". While RNG played it's part general fugies were 50K (pre nerf) / 25K (post nerf).

Edit:
just to clarify: The treasure Hunter trait went in with 6.1 (24 Feb), nerf came with 6.2 (23Jun) giving us only 4 months of non nerfed garrison gold farming.
No way in hell did you make 10+M in that time using only 4 characters for missions.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:28 am

Ifalna wrote:
No way in hell did you make 10+M in that time using only 4 characters for missions.

Well Im not going to argue with you over something petty, But I did. And so did numerous other people.

As a breakdown from my spreadsheet:

29 missions that are Massive Strike.
29 missions that are Wild Aggression
29 missions that are Danger Zones
28 missions that are Minion Swarms
24 missions that are Powerful Spell
21 missions that are Timed Battle
18 missions that are Deadly Minions
18 missions that are Magic Debuff
15 missions that are Group Damage

Thats a total of 211 Gold missions that could possible show up per character. Not counting that sometimes you see some of these multiple times in 24HR.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Ifalna wrote:

As far as Garrison missions in Legion are concerned: Knowing Blizzard they will nerf the crap out of it and then some. They do NOT like it if a player feels "encouraged" to constantly spend time in old content.

But then again, new expansion new materials that sell for absolutely obscene prices (esp now that most people are fat and rich due to Garrisons) ... mmmh should be fun. :D

As a pre Holy power tank pally and pre Orb shadow priest: I won't.
If I want to play a spec with friggin como point mechanics I would have rolled a rogue.

I'm happy to see Holy Power (and Shadow Orbs for that matter) go away.

The weird part (for me) was reading the Paladin notes and seeing that the intent is for classes to use different resources to feel different.
Then I read that Warlocks are being moved to only one resource to reduce confusion or something. Then I was "???"

Edit: and for the 4th (?) expansion in a row, Blizzard is totally silent about the concept of utility. Sample example: My questing Paladin gets into trouble and LOH. My questing Warrior... dies. Again. But hey, at least both classes do broadly similar damage!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The weird part (for me) was reading the Paladin notes and seeing that the intent is for classes to use different resources to feel different.
Then I read that Warlocks are being moved to only one resource to reduce confusion or something. Then I was "???"

Per class, not necessarily per-spec. It was moderately cool to see Warlocks get completely different resources depending on spec, but affliction and desto ended up with "soul shards", and demo got boring quickly. I don't think it ended up being worth it. (Also, I'm calling a burning embers glyph now.)

With HPower, I still think that it should stay for Holy and Prot, but it can generate in different ways for each spec. I prefer having a resource that I can use as I please over charges on particular abilities.

Edit: and for the 4th (?) expansion in a row, Blizzard is totally silent about the concept of utility. Sample example: My questing Paladin gets into trouble and LOH. My questing Warrior... dies. Again. But hey, at least both classes do broadly similar damage!

Use a talent! Second Wind gives you 25% lifesteal when you're below 35% health. I generally find questing with a warrior easier than a paladin because I don't have to stop dealing damage to keep myself alive (LOH can only be used every 5 minutes, so you're using flash of light much more often).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I guess its too much to ask of Blizz to let Subtlety Rogues target selected inanimate objects for shadowstep? mining or herb nodes, or certain places in some rooms that only the rogue can see... That would be fun...