Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: World Of Warcraft

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:20 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I logged into and Alt account on Battle.net and saw that you can upgrade existing active accounts for a discount:

Free to Reg WoW = $5

Reg WoW to BC = $5

BC to Wotlk = $10

Hmmm....that's not a bad deal...I may finally upgrade my second account up from vanilla wow. Only reason I did not do it was I didnt want to pay a ton to upgrade an account I do not play a lot, but now that its this cheap I may take the plunge...especially since my main account is completely full with 10 toons on my main server, and I would like to check out the new races at least.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Did some mountain jumping/climbing around the new Stormwind, took a bunch of pictures. All were at 1680x1050 but photobucket resizes them. I think I took some really good images, and got to some really unique places. So I'm going to whore them out.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f48/Floydinator24/WoW%20screens/

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Funny thing is you'll be able to fly there in a week. :wink: My friends and I used to do the same thing back when we first started playing. IF airport and really weird places where the modelers just mirrored a huge mountain chain in the Burning Steppes haha.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:29 pm

bobboobles wrote:
Funny thing is you'll be able to fly there in a week. :wink: My friends and I used to do the same thing back when we first started playing. IF airport and really weird places where the modelers just mirrored a huge mountain chain in the Burning Steppes haha.

Yeah, but I find half the fun/challenge is doing it by ground movement. It's much more rewarding to see where you can get (and you can go far)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:04 am

Stupid Feat of Strength. There has got to be a easy solution to get burned by Deathwing! if anyone has any pointers let me know.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

Deathwing as a Feat of Strength is supposed to be completely random, and quite rare.

Looking forward to my goblin sham or rogue, haven't decided yet. I really like the new Orgrimmar, feels way more hoardy now. I logged in yesterday on my main to farm mats for Pots of free action and the STV fishing tourney was on-going. I fished from a school of fish and got a rare fish that you can turn in for fishing boots. So I made my way into Booty Bay thinking all was fine, then remember I'm still hated by them because of my Bloodsail Title. This time however, the guards (bruisers) are lev 85 and promptly 3-5 shot me. Was a nice corpse run though. :lol:

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 am

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Org. The hall Garrosh is in seems way too small. Plus the reliance on elevators is about the opposite of good city design. On the other hand I like the art direction and the greater mixture of architecture. I just don't feel they nailed the layout, and sadly it's going to be this way for a long time most likely.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:06 pm

On Dec. 7th you can buy your flying license and fly around Org however you please. I love the new design, especially the tauran areas. I love having all the flight/blimps in one area inside the city, very cool to be up there and watch it - feels a lot more like a bustling city. More trainers/professions all over too. Gamon is 85 elite XD

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

The new low level quests seem really well done and incorporate a lot of humor. New goblin quests in Ratchet, Tanaris, and Gadgetzan, as well as some old ones that have been reset or tweaked.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Yeah the new low level quests are really good now. I rolled a NE Mage just to play around with and before I knew it I had spent all day yesterday on it and was level 20. I used to hate leveling and I am sure by 60 when I have to go to Outlands and then Northrend at 70 I will hate it.

But for now the new content stuff is really cool.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:00 am

Holy cats, the speed at which you gain levels now is ridiculous. I didn't remember what I was doing with any of the 4 toons I had on the Zangarmarsh realm so I made a new guy, sold all the other guys' stuff and sent him the money (so he's sitting on like 3800g, which should aid in making things EVEN EASIER). I spent all of about 6-7 hours getting to level 20. :o

I think I'm going to re-up and pay the $10 to get WotLK.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I also can attest to the quality of the low level quest now. I haven't had anything to do but acheivment farming so I set out to get Loremaster last night. The new Westfall quest chain is incredible. You get a very good story in the "hobos are taking over" as well as awesome comedy from the CSI parody.

The best part is, the entire zone serves as a setting for a single quest chain. I love how cohesive it is rather than 10 different spots where you get 2 semi-related quests that have nothing to do with the rest of the zone. Its like playing a single player RPG almost.

They are also using the phasing in a more subtle way now. In Wrath I could always tell when phasing was going to happen because they would send you halfway across the zone just to turn in a quest and then head back (the worst was the Sons of Hodir which sent you to Thorim who is not only on the other side of the map, but 1000 yards above the zone). Now they have quests where you literally go down a small hill and it has been phased at the bottom.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I also love the buffs that they have done to the instances. Things hit much harder now (talking about pre-level cap instances here) and you have to know much more of what you are doing. Before 4.03a I was able to heal gnomergan through the last boss with bombs hitting everyone and just beasting the boss. Now if we don't kill the bombs I have a significantly hard time. With a crappy group we even wiped, brought a smile to my face because it was like having vanilla wow back :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Sparticuse wrote:
I also can attest to the quality of the low level quest now. I haven't had anything to do but acheivment farming so I set out to get Loremaster last night. The new Westfall quest chain is incredible. You get a very good story in the "hobos are taking over" as well as awesome comedy from the CSI parody.

That's actually where I spent most of Sunday night, and it was hilariously awful. All that was missing was Roger Daltrey's scream from "Won't Get Fooled Again".

The "vehicle" mechanic tied to Thanksgiving was a little weird. I didn't realize I needed to click a button to dismount from a chair at the table. I kind of frustratedly yelled "HOW THE F(*& DO I GET OUT OF THE CHAIR?!" and my wife was like "what is wrong with you??" :lol: It was nice that by the time I got to the vehicle portion in Westfall that I already knew how to dismount.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm

I didn't realize I needed to click a button to dismount from a chair at the table.

Ha! This happened in my guild back during BC when the CCG came out and you could redeem for the tiger-on-a-spring ride. It used the same mechanic for getting off of that as well and despite more than a couple people knowing how to get off the ride AND having vent to tell them where to look I had more than a couple people that just couldn't figure it out. It actually delayed our run. I remember thinking to myself "I raid with these people?..."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm

I figured it out in...oh...under 10 minutes. :oops:

It's not like a mount, where you just dismount automatically in stores or in combat, and it's not like the rest of the chairs where pressing an arrow button makes you stand up. I wonder why they felt the need to create this mechanic? Just show me my new "abilities" in the chair and put them back when I start moving. That's OK. Won't happen again. :lol:

SonWorshiper
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 pm

I started a new human... found it very entertaining even though a good number of the quests are still the same in Elwynn. Westfall and Redridge were both tremendous compared to my past recollections. I always had a few quests in my log, a few different things to do. It felt like I had some choices, but the story was interesting enough to make me want to follow the main quest line.

I started a NE rogue as well. That was... less interesting. I always hated Teldrassil and Darkshore to begin with, so I was hoping for big changes. Teldrassil and the first part of Darkshore lacked some direction in my opinion. With the humans (and the gnome I tried out) there's always a "go here, do this, now go there" quest to give you direction. With Teldrassil, there were a number of times where I had nothing but the one or two co-located quests, so I felt very "railroaded" as a result. They did make a number of improvements, but much less than I hoped to see in Teldrassil. I'm just starting in Darkshore, and so far that has been ok.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Well, I just finished both felwood and winterspring on my alt today. Both were extremely different from their pre patch areas. The quest flow was vastly better and a ton more quests to do in both areas. Felwood actually starts around 45 or so now as opposed to 48-49 like it used to and I easily got to almost 50 by the time I hit winterspring. I actually enjoyed a lot of the new quests in both areas as opposed to the mindless grinding firbolgs that I used to do. I never really felt I ran out of quests, unlike before where mindless grinding would be the way to get a few levels. I cant wait to make a new alt when cata comes out and try the whole 1-60 experience, its very pleasant to quest away your time...no more got to 6 different area quests or long walks to far away places....they really reduced the travel time in areas.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 pm

I can't wait for next week. I am just dying to create my Worgen rogue.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Man wow is adding even more awesome changes... The BG's are now going to be split into groups of 5 levels AND you can hit some of the later BGs earlier. So Arathi Basin at 10-14,15-19... Nice!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:10 pm

crap, missed out on the super-cheap upgrade to WotLK. Oh well. I'm re-upped and I"ll play until I someday feel the need for a Worgen. :p

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
crap, missed out on the super-cheap upgrade to WotLK. Oh well. I'm re-upped and I"ll play until I someday feel the need for a Worgen. :p

Umm.... I just checked its still there. 5,5,10.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 am

I clicked the "upgrade to WotLK" link on my account page and it's $39.99...do you have a link? I figured it was because I accidentally let it lapse after my 7 days ran out and before I set up a subscription again. :(

edit: b.net forums indicate that this was a black Friday deal that has expired:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1195680439

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Oh wow, I am at work now so I cant check. When you load the 'Launcher" is was also on the front page there. 5, 5, 10
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Damn derfunk.....sorry you missed it. :cry: FWIW I feel it should be 5, 5, 10 permanently; if they did that I am sure they would get back some lost players!!!!!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 pm

They might do that in the future, Cataclysm is probably doing more than enough to bring back old players right now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 pm

here's hoping for a Christmas day sale.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 am

I got to play cata for a bit this morning before work and I am pleased to say it's looking bright for a good time. I'm swimming around vash'jyr and out of no where an eel attacks me. I kill it and the new popup quest system for doing quests in the field comes up with a quest to kill 8 eels, but the flavor text was brilliant.

It begins with a statement along the lines of "Some people say they don't mind eels. Some people even say they favor eels. They lie." and then when you finish the quest the text is "You have now done something you can tell your grandchildren you did for them"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 am

Game seemed very stable this morning. Lots of new stuff to do! I'll be sure to go for the Iron Chef achievement on my main character.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Now having played Cataclysm for a good 10 hours I can safely say the overall experience (at least from 80-82) is pretty freakin stellar. There are a few spots that are pretty piss poor but they are far outweighed by the awesome.

Black Rock Caverns: thumbs up. I especially like the nod to "the beast" from UBRS with the new core hound boss named "beauty" Bosses all feel like mini-raid bosses with strategies that can't be ignored.

Throne of Tides: thumbs down. Bosses all feel very uninspired. Typical five man fare with a rediculously stupid body-guard style end boss (think Halls of Stone) who gives you a buff through, I kid you not, "the power of pure water"

Vashj'ir: I went here on accident. I thought I was going to end up at Hyjal but I am really glad I took a wrong turn. With the exception of the giant sea creature sequence the entire zone is brilliant. Giant sea creature... not so much. I would rate it as one of the worst quest chains I have ever run through in WoW and theres no way to skip it if you want to do the later quests in the same zone.