Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: World Of Warcraft

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:40 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Have not played since sept 2014. How is the new expansion? My old raid guildies want me to come back. But how hard is it to re-level. Not interested in an extended grind. On the other hand I've spent more time than most simply touristing the old content with my rogue.

It 'can' be done in 6-8 hours following a set path and if you have already experienced the content. There's a ton of guides on this. Because Blizzard added treasures and rare mobs to the zones these give very high XP. If you're a completionist you can get to 100 by early to midway through your third zone.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:04 pm

I had fun for a bit but I'm clearing my banks and auctioning off mats and stuff in preparation for a hiatus. It was fun for a bit but it's getting old again so time to take a few months off.

Least I'm up to about 250,000 gold from all the auctions
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:13 am

A link for a leveling guide would be nice. I will try to get on and level my rogue and DK sometime this week.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:15 am

No real reason to need a leveling guide, its so easy and quick to level. You just do quest chains until you reach the next level when the next area opens up. Repeat until lvl 100.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 am

New Xpac coming.

Legion (that's the name of it) and the broken isles.

Demon Hunter new hero class

level 110

new weapon leveling system.....Ashbringer is back!

new PvP level up.

Tons of stuff revolving around your class.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:58 am

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade 2 Legion

Demon Hunter looks fun. Weapon leveling looks fun (and makes sense, IMO).

The real question is: "How much time per day do I need to invest?" Someone pointed out that this game is 10 (almost 11) years old, and the player base from Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King is older, working full time, married, and has kids. Yet the last two expansions have required MORE time from players, and that includes more activities per day. That's going in exactly the opposite direction of what they should be doing.

...anyway, I'll probably check it out. I really wish I could go back to WoW permanently, but the daily grind just saps all enjoyment out of it.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:19 pm

They offered the free week and I just didn't care. My toddler also lost my fob so at the moment I can't do anything to upgrade any Blizzard games. Can still play D3 and Hearthstone (for now).

Garrisons seemed exciting at first but it just got old fast. They should have had quest chains where you could switch your buildings to another race like Tauren or Blood Elves. The orc buildings are so ugly.

My wife says I will want to come back for expansion but I'm just not sure. I did get married, had 2 kids, bought a house, and changed jobs since I started playing in April 2005. It's not worth $15/month to me right now. I'm also sick of relearning pvp each expansion. Life has just moved on.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:54 pm

superjawes wrote:
The real question is: "How much time per day do I need to invest?" Someone pointed out that this game is 10 (almost 11) years old, and the player base from Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King is older, working full time, married, and has kids. Yet the last two expansions have required MORE time from players, and that includes more activities per day. That's going in exactly the opposite direction of what they should be doing.

...anyway, I'll probably check it out. I really wish I could go back to WoW permanently, but the daily grind just saps all enjoyment out of it.

HUH? :-? The Last two expansions have required LESS time from me to be in game and still stay current. Anytime I am in game other than my set 2 raid nights and a couple hours on the weekend is a plus.

WoD definitely was a game breaker as I had two alts and their garrisons feeding my main.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm also sick of relearning pvp each expansion.

You'll definitely have to re-learn it now. They FINALLY decoupled its talents from the PvE talent trees, PvP now has its own trees. No longer will changes be made to a PvE skill because its OP in PvP.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:19 pm

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

HUH? :-? The Last two expansions have required LESS time from me to be in game and still stay current. Anytime I am in game other than my set 2 raid nights and a couple hours on the weekend is a plus.

WoD definitely was a game breaker as I had two alts and their garrisons feeding my main.

hmmm, set 2 raid nights , already more time investment than most of us can afford...
I left the game around 7 years ago because it started to feel like a job I don't get paid for.

superjawes

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Sunsong Ranch
Garrisons
More Daily Quests
LFR

In Cataclysm, I only needed a few hours a week to cap valor for raiding. I was only in on the end of Wrath, but I don't remember that being a huge time sink, either. If I needed rep with a faction, I could equip a tabard and run dungeons. LFR (Mists and Warlords) was a problem if you wanted to queue as anything other than a healer, and that became one of the most important ways of getting gear if you weren't already raiding with a guild. Even if you got into a group, each wing could easily take more than an hour (so clearing all required LFRs in a week could easily take 8 hours, and that's separate from raiding with your guild).

Maybe garrisons aren't required for raiding, but the time I invested in mine killed all my motivation for running anything else. All I really want to do is run PVE content to run more PVE content. If I'm not ready for raiding, I shouldn't have to grind rep, run garrison missions, or empty my gold reserves into the AH. Oh, and that's just to be competent in Heroic dungeons...I didn't even make it to Warlords LFR because I was just sick of playing by that point.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Arvald wrote:
hmmm, set 2 raid nights , already more time investment than most of us can afford...
I left the game around 7 years ago because it started to feel like a job I don't get paid for.

To each their own. I've been playing pretty much my adult married life and I make work. The wife is a teacher so she needs nights to grade things and these are my raid nights. /shrug There's always LFR for ghetto loots. 2 nights/6 hours is a far cry from my hardcore progression days of 4 days/ 4hrs each.

I'm not here to change anyone's mind about WoW. I find it super fun even if its frustrating at times. (it also helps that I have a super fun active guild) The sub still doesnt bother me as I can afford it. I'm actually surprised that they didn't announce a SWTOR type of f2p scheme. Seems to me they could possibly get more money if they did exactly what SWTOR did.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:34 pm

My main problem is it simply stopped being fun to me, and I can't even put my finger on why that's true after thousands of hours played.

superjawes

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
My main problem is it simply stopped being fun to me, and I can't even put my finger on why that's true after thousands of hours played.

I doubt it's a single thing. I know part of the problem I have isn't even the game, but many people I used to play with have moved on, and the game was definitely more fun with those people.

I do wish they would improve the free-to-play side of things. I don't think moving to microtransactions is the answer (because the game isn't built around it), but they could at least raise the free level cap and/or let veterans play some of the older expansions for free.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Garrisons were fun at first but got so old so fast that it killed it. But some of it may just be time. It's a 10 year old game, and I've been playing off and on for 8 of them I think. I do feel like garrisons contributed to an empty world feeling. But some of it's also just subs going away; aren't they down to like 5 million?

I may check out Legion.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:37 pm

superjawes wrote:
many people I used to play with have moved on

This is why I stopped playing in 2011 (cleared Deathwing HC a few months into Cataclysm and called it a day). Even today there are still a dozen friends of mine still playing WoW but at the point the game felt like it was no longer the main gaming choice for enough people, I didn't want to be the leftover addict who carried on playing WoW for the sake of it.

My attitude was "If I'm not 100% enjoying it there are plenty of other games I could be playing instead" and the biggest problem with WoW is that the enjoyment drops off so gradually that you don't even realise you've stopped loving it.

My advice is to move on whilst you still have good memories of the game. I look back al all the good times and don't regret the 300+ days of "/played" over the course of those years - I'm just glad it's not another couple of hundred more days that would have been marred by the continually waning population and increasing difficulty getting enough people together to do stuff.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 am

The part I enjoyed the most over the years was PUG PVP. In vanilla and TBC Horde won /handwave 60% or more of the games. I'd say in WotLK was easily 50%. Yes, you would have bad games sometimes but overall you could farm your conquest epics. I'm not a great pvper but was happy to be average and farm the gear.

Once they implemented the human racial change Every Man for Himself, a disturbing trend started for Horde. A lot of uber pvp'ers went Alliance. Now it is impossible to win AV and IoC so they can get epics very easily. It seems over time as Alliance PUGs are better and better the trend worsens. There is a lot of argument on WoW forums as to the imbalance of this racial but I saw the numbers people posted and it's obviously an edge.

I recently played for a month by spending some gold I had (why give them real money any longer) and only won under 30% of my games and that was by blocking AV and IoC. Even when I had blues and purples was winning few games. So that took the fun out of it for me. Also I only reached 29.8% by getting easily half of my wins on Friday night, which is the best time for wins for Horde in my battlegroup for some reason.

Also agree with the poster above that garrisons got old. In my mind, Blizzard is LAZY. They could have added more missions periodically. They should have given you quest lines where you could convert your garrison decor to some other race. Seriously, Orc garrison is so ugly. Why not enable panda decor or blood elf through a quest line? Lazy worked for them for some years, but their numbers are down. Their graphics are very dated even for me who am not much of a graphics snob. Their gameplay is so repetitive. Grind dungeon gear or raid or pvp gear. Rinse, repeat.

I don't have much of an alternative though. So they chug along with reduced numbers. I might "buy" one more month pre-expansion with gold already on hand. Not sure the expansion is worth it but if I'm bored might give it a go.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 pm

I don't mind the garrison stuff so much as quest lines. But I hate that its just make work. I liked the old system where you went out and used your professions on a tune and gathered and crafted and then maybe sold some of them for a small profit at the AH. gathering was sort of fun by going to unusual places and looking around. My main rogue tune is herbalism + mining. And I have a favorite raiding DK's with JC + potions and another DK rolled just to do Enchant + Inscription. I'm not willing to grind out garrisons for all three tunes. Although I have a good unemployed friend that has a dozen fully garrisoned tunes. Since quitting last September and then doing the garrison part way for my DK; I'm pretty sure I don't want to do this for more than one tune. It would have been nice to get back with the old raid group. But there is just not enough time to do that anymore. I had so much more free time when I worked for this lab. But now that I own it; there is no free time.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

zzz
Gerbil

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Maybe it's time to make a new thread, I'm pretty sure OP's questions about this game in its beta state has been satiated.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:14 am

This is the wow megathread, it has been fine as is for over 11 years...so no reason to shut it down.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:58 am

zzz wrote:
Maybe it's time to make a new thread, I'm pretty sure OP's questions about this game in its beta state has been satiated.

This is how you correctly forum. Instead of cluttering up the forums with multiple threads about a single subject you stick to one thread.

Still playing. These days I just log in to raid, as I am current with everything.

Right now I am playing SWTOR trying to get in some reasonable shape before its xpac hits next week. 9 chapters thats one huge xpac, its like an entirely new game.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't like the personalized garrison stuff too much. It seems to take away from the "multiplayer" aspect of WoW. This should be a game about exploring, not somewhere that you need to stay in one spot. I wish they could at least give you the option to choose a fork in the game at one point where you can avoid the Garrison plot altogether. I do have a question though. I'm on the Azuremyst server, and I see a an asterisk next to most people's names in the game. I'm assuming they are allowing more people to play along with each other across servers. Can someone confirm that is the case? Also, another question. I have a Gnome Warlock named Fartnugget. Is "affliction" a good specialization, or should I avoid that one? It doesn't seem to deal damage very efficiently. Nothing like my night elf monk anyway.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:31 am

Warlocks are the bottom of DPS logs right now, Blizzard destroyed them with the last handful of patches. All specs are parsing way below any other class. However, Its been announced that they will get a complete overhaul in the coming patches that ramp up to the next xpac. Personally I would hold off and see whats going to be announced at Blizzcon in November.

EDIT: DPS and healing monks are in bad shape too. Tanking monks are alright.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:29 am

So I came across this extremely well written article the other day. http://kotaku.com/the-people-who-still- ... 1704465372

My interest in private servers was a bit peaked after marathoning Sword Art Online and getting a huge vanilla nostalgia trip. Anyways, I did some searching around and found a private server that is PVE and has scheduled raid roll-outs to simulate the vanilla timeline. (though sped up some). https://en.nostalrius.org/ I tried private servers several years ago but that was back when they were very buggy, you had to root your normal wow installation, and real wow still had good end game content and talent trees. This server though seems very polished and the only major bugs i have found is that summoning stones don't work (yet) and flight points like to drop you 15 feet in the air. The server also appears to have only recently come online and there are only a handful of people near 60 and no one raiding or hardcore pvping yet. If anyone thinks they might be interested I encourage you to read up and then send me a PM and come find me in game.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:42 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

Precisely my issue as well, I think a part of it is I also liked raiding, but it also drove me nuts waiting on people as well.

I still have it installed though, lol.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Anovoca wrote:
So I came across this extremely well written article the other day. http://kotaku.com/the-people-who-still- ... 1704465372

My interest in private servers was a bit peaked after marathoning Sword Art Online and getting a huge vanilla nostalgia trip....

Great show and I marathoned it too. Netflix recently added Sword Art Online II; its pretty good.

Last edited by Mr Bill on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:23 pm

I can tell you exactly what killed WoW for me. Raid finder.

I was a casual raider for my 7-8 years playing WoW. We had a group of about 15-20 friends in a guild and we liked to raid, not hardcore or anything, but we slowly but surely got through the content before it each expansion came along. Raid finder made it so easy to get gear that was nearly as good as the 10 man raid gear that most folks in my guild lost the stomach for wiping repeatedly while we learned mechanics for each boss, particular end bosses. Raid finder was never very fun, it's was mostly an exercise in how much douche-baggery you could stand, at least on my server.

Contributing factors:

The daily rep grind in Pandaria gave everyone a "job" that people felt compelled to complete before they joined any dungeon run parties.

Garrisons. Terrible idea. Like someone said earlier, garrisons add a single player element to the game that takes away from the feeling of community in cities.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

adampk17, I agree on all three points. I started playing for free up to level 20 at the end of Burning Crusade. Bought the Litch King upgrade and began raiding with a group all through siege of orgrimar and Pandaria but dropped out last fall and now it just looks like a big pain to do this garrison thing.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 am

Garrison's are wonderful. Stack treasure hunting trait on multiple alts then profit! I've never really had much gold, holding on to bare minimums enough to survive on weekly raiding while providing my own food, pots, flasks, and repairs since vanilla. Since WoD I have gone from 100k to 23million (spread around characters and alt guilds) in gold just off of Garrison's and the follower treasure missions, even after they nurfed it this last big patch. I still average making ~5K every few days. As of right now I have suspended my subscription, I was paying every 6 months. I was just charged last month and I have since added enough tokens to play for free until Feb 2017, 10 tokens.

I log in enough to reset follower missions and my 2 raid days. But that's about it.

We will see what the next xpac brings since Blizzcon is next week. I hope it launches sooner like FEB 2016 rather than a 2016 summer launch.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:29 am

tanker27 wrote:
Garrison's are wonderful. Stack treasure hunting trait on multiple alts then profit! I've never really had much gold, holding on to bare minimums enough to survive on weekly raiding while providing my own food, pots, flasks, and repairs since vanilla. Since WoD I have gone from 100k to 23million (spread around characters and alt guilds) in gold just off of Garrison's and the follower treasure missions, even after they nurfed it this last big patch. I still average making ~5K every few days. As of right now I have suspended my subscription, I was paying every 6 months. I was just charged last month and I have since added enough tokens to play for free until Feb 2017, 10 tokens.

I log in enough to reset follower missions and my 2 raid days. But that's about it.

We will see what the next xpac brings since Blizzcon is next week. I hope it launches sooner like FEB 2016 rather than a 2016 summer launch.

That sounds very nice from a gold and personal wealth perspective but you made all that money holed up in your garrison, never interacting with the world while you did it. It just seems so backwards for a game like WoW to include a feature like that.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU