Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: World Of Warcraft

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:35 am

We finally got paragons down this week, and are now butting heads with garrosh. We are getting to phase 2 now most times, but getting forward is goign to take some more practice and wipes. We are also one tanking it for the extra dps, but we got to get some peopel some more gear to get their dps up enough to get further. I will be happy when we see him dead...its been a long run with pretty much only around 3 people from our original group still in the raid, so massive turnover and regears really punished us.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am

Working on my legendary cape; Marshal Twinbraid crushed me when I tried to solo him. I'll try again when a friend gets to this level of the cape quest next week.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:14 am

Yeah you can not solo him, need at least one other person to do it.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:49 pm

So did anyone see the new 10th anniversary event stuff? They are going to have a 100 vs 100 Tarren mill vs Southshore BG with the old honor system along with a 40 man lvl 90 lfr version of molten core. Lots of cool stuff to look forward too alogn with the 8/13/14 launch date :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Looks like denial of service attacks again are affecting Battle.net.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Looks like denial of service attacks again are affecting Battle.net.

Not just Battle.net but PSN, Path of Exile, & League of Legends.

So I have been following WoD discussions and news closely lately and I am concerned. On one hand they have stated the Rep grinds ala MoP were not going to be in WoD. And that Garrisions would do the work for you. Next is the news that they are getting rid of Valor and Justice and going back to Gold as a main currency. I am concerned with this. As someone who used to HC raid and did so for years I just dont have the time to farm as much. That being said, I have always been a self sufficient raider. buying or farming for raid mats; flasks, pots, etc. Back in vanilla I lived on about 100 gold week to week before there were things like dailies. Farm the hard way. Dailies made it easy in BC, WotLK, and MoP but still I don't have a surplus on Gold. I have around 75K total and hover around that week by week.

By returning back to Gold standard it seems to me that the gold farmers are going to win and its going to push more people to buy gold. It also puts a majority of the playerbase at a disadvantage when the majority also doesnt have a surplus.

There are many other questions that arise by this announcement, like are we going to see larger sums that drop from bosses or even quest completions? Wouldn't the influx of more gold cause inflation in the AH at 2x or 4x?

Other MMO's (like Wildstar) make it so that money is easy to come by and their AH's reflect as such. But trying to monkey with an established economy is going to cause a lot of issues.

As for Garrisons, I like how they work for you offline doing "chores" for all different kinds of things. Its not as bad as it seems when tied to leveling but it is a money/time sink. It's the MoP farm times 100. So I am on the fence about Garrisons. (BTW....yeah I've been doing beta)

Lastly for the first time in my MMO history I will be playing a non-melee class. I've always played melee even in the early days of Everquest. I've decided that for once I will make a caster my main. This should be fun.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 am

tanker27 wrote:
So I have been following WoD discussions and news closely lately and I am concerned. On one hand they have stated the Rep grinds ala MoP were not going to be in WoD. And that Garrisions would do the work for you. Next is the news that they are getting rid of Valor and Justice and going back to Gold as a main currency. I am concerned with this. As someone who used to HC raid and did so for years I just dont have the time to farm as much.

By returning back to Gold standard it seems to me that the gold farmers are going to win and its going to push more people to buy gold.

There are many other questions that arise by this announcement, like are we going to see larger sums that drop from bosses or even quest completions? Wouldn't the influx of more gold cause inflation in the AH at 2x or 4x?
I am shocked by this. Is it more "pay to play" from Activision? Like they have attempted with the D3 RMAH and Hearthstone to some extent. I thought the point of Valor was that you did the content, not buy your way to epics.

Yes, they often had BoE epics but they were pretty rare and not as good as the earnable stuff (esp. at the end of a cycle).
This seems like a major shift to a new direction.

tanker27 wrote:
As for Garrisons, I like how they work for you offline doing "chores" for all different kinds of things. Its not as bad as it seems when tied to leveling but it is a money/time sink. It's the MoP farm times 100. So I am on the fence about Garrisons. (BTW....yeah I've been doing beta)
It seems interesting to me. I like offline stuff, like the Eve Online skill system. Is it tedious to set up your offline quests? I got pretty annoyed with the farm after a while.

I do enjoy having lackeys...more of that sounds good to me. Like the Argent Squire, the cooking helper, Blingtron, etc.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 am

The 10th anniversary looks like lots of fun.

I'm also concerned about Justice/Valor, though. I know that they're supposed to buff the gold drop to compensate, but tanker is correct in pointing out that it will either favor people who have a handle on the economy (with millions of gold in the bank), or gear will be so cheap that it would be trivial farming up the gold to buy it.

I suppose it does somewhat depend on what happens with raiding. I'm assuming that gold gear is going to be LFR quality or lower, so then gold gear could be easy to farm, but you'd still need to grind LFR and/or Normal to get the gear for heroic, and once you have heroic gear, you can move on to mystic (mythic? whatever they're calling it...).

Of course, then there's the question of valor upgrades introduced in MoP. Are those going to be gold based? Will valor stick around so you can upgrade your existing gear? Or will Blizzard just ditch that, too, leaving players to farm the -forged gear with extra stats, gem slots, whatever?

As for Garrisons, I should look into it more, but it might be nice for it to be an upgraded form of Sunsong Ranch. I liked how I could pretty easily farm some mats for my daily profession CDs (across several toons), and centralizing a daily rep grind would probably improve my quality of life.

At any rate, there are a lot of new systems that are going to be interacting when Warlords releases. Hopefully they work well, or at least well enough to keep people playing for now.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:15 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I am shocked by this. Is it more "pay to play" from Activision? Like they have attempted with the D3 RMAH and Hearthstone to some extent. I thought the point of Valor was that you did the content, not buy your way to epics.

Yes, they often had BoE epics but they were pretty rare and not as good as the earnable stuff (esp. at the end of a cycle).
This seems like a major shift to a new direction.
Hold up. RMAH was a Blizzard idea, I think, and it wasn't necessarily a bad one, but it didn't work out. Actually, if someone could have made money playing video games, it would have been quite interesting. The big problem, I think, was that the loot and core gameplay suffered as a result, so no one wanted to play D3 to begin with, let alone make money.

Hearthstone offers straightforward ways to get everything you want without paying, so I can't fault them there (I'm just not a fan of the game). They seem to be following a pretty good plan on Heroes of the Storm as well (I'm just not that enthused by that, either*).

As for Valor, the original intent was to be a consolation prize because RNG can seem really unfair. It offered a way for players to at least make some progress while waiting for that elusive drop. I think the greater charms helped this out quite a bit, allowing players up to 10 extra "rolls" per week, and adding personal loot rolls in LFR/Flex helps even more. Actually, now that I think about it, there isn't much of a point to valor any more. Most Warlords gear is going to adapt to spec, so you'll only need special loot for a few item slots...so now I'm really curious about gold gear. Why have it at all?

*Tangent about Heroes of the Storm: I like a lot of the things going on with hero abilities, but the maps feel...lame compared to Summoner's Rift. Interesting? Sure, but they could use a lot of work.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:17 pm

So many neat things coming down the pipe for the WoW world! I haven't played since 2008 when I was in a long distance relationship with my then-girlfriend now-wife. She said those blank phone calls with me were the closest she came to calling it quits! Not really an issue of priority (well, maybe a bit), but more the immediacy of where I was and where she was.

Anyways, we saw the trailer the other day together and I joking told her I was thinking about starting back up with the new expansion (as she nursed our month old little girl). She told me she would likely kill me if I did :lol: .

I'm probably not going to pick it back up at all, but if you guys who still play could go to any MMORPG out there now and be at the same competitive level that you are in WoW, would you pick WoW again or another game?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 am

Got my orange cloak (quite late to that party). Now I'm working on the Royal Satchel recipe just for something to do.

Wizard needs expansion badly!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 pm

njenabnit wrote:
I'm probably not going to pick it back up at all, but if you guys who still play could go to any MMORPG out there now and be at the same competitive level that you are in WoW, would you pick WoW again or another game?

Competitive is subjective. I now have a kid and my game time revolves around a schedule with the wife. And I found a guild that fits set schedule. We are 14/14H just finished a couple months ago, and while not bleeding edge of the race we still get it done. In fact we dont even call ourselves Hardcore, our raid schedule is 2 nights a week from 7EST-10. We just focus on what needs to be done.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 pm

In other news: Blizzard canned Titan.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/683395 ... gen-mmo-pc

I still would like to know what it was.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm

tanker27 wrote:

You could say Titan fell. :lol:

If anyone is still clearing SoO normal, I would love to tag along for a carry...

credible
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:59 pm

tanker27 wrote:

I got this from somebody on MMO Champion, after reading about the news I went there for more informations and found this, take it for what you will.

For close to a decade, details about the multiplayer game that Blizzard called Project Titan have remained secret and elusive. Today we'd like to change that.

In the wake of yesterday's news that Blizzard has officially cancelled Titan, we can share a bit about what the project was meant to be: a massive multiplayer PC game in which players could both maintain non-combat professions and shoot their way through death-matches on a sci-fi version of Earth.

Blizzard declined to offer any details about the game when I reached out yesterday, but over the past 24 hours, I've talked to half a dozen people who saw or played the ambitious project, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to talk publicly about what they knew. They've helped paint a broad picture of what was planned for Titan in the years before the game was drastically overhauled in 2013.

It's worth noting: game development is a fluid process, and from what I've heard about Titan, the developers were constantly changing and shifting plans over the months and years they worked on the game. Everything that follows is an amalgamation of information from ex-Blizzard employees, speaking to me individually, who tested, saw, or helped develop Titan between 2007 and 2012.

So what was Titan? For starters, according to three people I spoke with, it would have taken place on a near-future version of Earth, in a science-fiction depiction of the world where mankind has successfully fought off an alien invasion. Players would join one of three factions waging a cold war over control of the planet, and zones planned for the game ranged from the west coast of the United States to Europe, South America, and Australia, according to a source. Blizzard's plan was to make the game world huge, and to keep adding areas with expansions in the years after launch.

The main concept was this: you, the player, would maintain a mundane job—butchering, engineering, entrepreneurship—during the day, while waging clandestine warfare against opposing factions at night (or between work hours).

One potential scenario, described to me by a person who saw the game, might have gone something like this: You're working for a corporation, helping run a shop, when you're called for a mission by your faction, so you run into an elevator, switch outfits superhero-style, and go off to fight enemies with a group of friends or allies. Or you can just ignore the combat and keep doing your job, which could mean anything from tinkering with vehicles as a mechanic to running your own business as an entrepreneur.

Players would be able to select from classes with names like Reaper, Jumper, Titan, Ranger, and Juggernaut, each of which had its own special combat abilities and items, according to a source. Jumpers, for example, would be agile scouts with a teleport ability and the ability to quickly leap in and out of combat. Titans were tanks, while Rangers were snipers with cloaking and other abilities (think Nova from StarCraft II and the ill-fated StarCraft Ghost).

All of the people who described the game to me made a lot of Team Fortress comparisons both in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. Three people who saw the game have compared the aesthetics to Team Fortress 2, with one source describing it as a cross between StarCraft II's in-game cinematics and Pixar's The Incredibles. Your perspective would switch between first- and third-person based on whether you were heading into combat or hanging out in a city, according to two sources—not unlike Bungie's Destiny.

Sources described the game as an MMO split in two parts: the "real world" and the "shadow world." (Similar in some ways to 2012's The Secret World.) In the real world, you'd craft, socialize, and work; in the shadow world, you'd shoot down enemies and fight through death-match missions with traditional shooter objectives like capture the flag. Blizzard's goal was to make both courses fun, interesting, and viable, so players could pick for themselves which way they wanted to go through the game.

Multiplayer games have had non-combat professions and tasks before, but from the sounds of it, Blizzard's take was more ambitious and interesting than anything we've seen in the past. Not only would players have been able to run their own businesses and shops, according to one source, they could maintain relationships with non-player customers and retail staff, even starting families thanks to a complicated AI system that Blizzard hoped to implement. (One source told me that Blizzard had hired a number of former Maxis staff who worked on The Sims in order to help put all this together.)

The goal, according to one person who worked on the game, was to construct cities that felt like living worlds, full of businesses, shops, and NPCs with schedules and behaviors based on what was happening at any given time. One ambitious planned system would have NPCs recognize players based on their previous interactions—for example, a shopkeeper might have interacted with you differently if you were a frequent customer.

Again, this was all part of Blizzard's plan for the game. We may never know how much they accomplished, or what was changed and overhauled over the decade Titan was in development, especially in 2013, when the team was cut down and direction shifted entirely on the game once code-named Titan.

In an interview Polygon published yesterday, Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime said the game was cancelled because it just wasn't good enough. "We didn't find the fun," he said. "We didn't find the passion. We talked about how we put it through a reevaluation period, and actually, what we reevaluated is whether that's the game we really wanted to be making. The answer is no."

But it's still fun to dream about what could have been. One source described an early internal presentation of Titan that showed a professional cook saying he has to go, superhero-style, putting a dish in the oven, going out on a mission, and coming back to find that dish perfectly cooked and ready to serve.

If you're thinking this all sounds way too cool to be buried forever, here's a bit of good news: One person connected to Blizzard told me that "a good handful" of the Titan team is actually still intact, despite yesterday's news that the game has been cancelled.

"They changed the code-name after that reboot," said that person. "So the project that was 'Titan' did die last year."

So maybe Blizzard's still got a small team plugging away at Titan's world and concepts in hopes of bringing something fun—and substantially smaller—out of the wreckage. But it doesn't seem like we'll ever see the Team Fortress 2-meets-Destiny-meets-The Sims-meets-World of Warcraft chimera that Blizzard was working on for so many years. Like Starcraft Ghost and Warcraft Adventures before it, the project once called Titan is no more.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 am

yeah I dont believe anything off of MMO-Champ. Unless its directly linked back to Blizz. I dont believe those quotes either.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Emanchad
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am

I played WoW for much of a year and during that time I didn't do much else. After I emerged from the bottomless void, I realized that the engrossing nature of the game is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am

I finally got around to reading about the garrisons. This feature looks really cool to me. I'm happy I have Wasteland 2 to finish because I am really getting impatient for the expansion.

30 days left...

superjawes

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 am

I haven't looked too much into Garrisons, but they sound like an iteration on Sunsong Ranch, which I thought was a great addition.

For now I'm just waiting until servers are live and I can get back home to check out the pre-launch event.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Well we finally got garrosh down this week, so we managed to get the feat before it was removed with the patch today. Been having fun today getting new addons downloaded and TOC's updated on the ones that do not have new versions. I am just happy to have some new things to do at least and new gear to get. I also still have to work on my 8 toons that still need their legendary cape before it is removed with the exp patch. The new blue drops out of UBRS should help with them all having 550 ilvl and get me over the hump.

superjawes

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 am

DEM ANIMATIONS.

The new models take a little bit to get used to considering how big the jump from '04 to '14 makes, but in the end I think they look great. The big surprise is how great the animations feel now. Heck, even the "standing still" animation on the character selection screen looks great.

Now if only my addons would update...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 am

superjawes wrote:

you have too many addons! :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 am

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

you have too many addons! :P

...you're probably right :oops:

Although I'm mostly waiting for Altoholic and AtlasLoot now.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:09 am

superjawes wrote:
Although I'm mostly waiting for Altoholic and AtlasLoot now.

Altholic I understand but Atlasloot.....just use the dungeon guide, it's just as good.

Personally I use three: DBM, ElvUI, and Skada. I cant speak highly enough about ElvUI, the devs are on the ball its update regularly and fixed quickly when an issue arises. And with it they have incorporated a lot of other mods into an all in one UI. And its highly customizable.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

I have to disagree on the Dungeon Guide. Maybe it's okay for dungeons/raids now, but Atlasloot has all the faction, PvP, and crafting information.

I suppose my primary addons are Shadowed Unit Frames and Bartender. I'll probably try some tweaks in the next few days, but otherwise, I've had it where I want it for a while. I also tend to pick up some other addons here and there for some extra utility, like Titan Panel, Bagnon, and Prat.

While we're talking about UIs, can we take a moment to acknowledge how disapointing SpartanUI is? I think it looks great, and I love the player/target frames, but it doesn't really allow any room for customization and fixes. If I could actually customize it, I would definitely drop SUF.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:19 pm

superjawes wrote:
I suppose my primary addons are Shadowed Unit Frames and Bartender. I'll probably try some tweaks in the next few days, but otherwise, I've had it where I want it for a while. I also tend to pick up some other addons here and there for some extra utility, like Titan Panel, Bagnon, and Prat.

While we're talking about UIs, can we take a moment to acknowledge how disapointing SpartanUI is? I think it looks great, and I love the player/target frames, but it doesn't really allow any room for customization and fixes. If I could actually customize it, I would definitely drop SUF.

ElvUI does this and then some. It has everything you listed there in one nice and tidy little package.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

Drop my ****ing mount already!!!!

Running HH on 9 toons/day and no luck...

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Well so far enjoying the ilvl squish, my toons still play the same, and a lot less buttons to mash. New models are very nice also, and really havent had any issue with my toons looking completely different. The only bad luck is garry not dropping any boas for me...last week everyone in the raid got one except me...

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

I enjoyed the documentary that you can access from Battlenet. Was quite funny to hear how they didn't expect server load for Vanilla release and the AQ gate event.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I enjoyed the documentary that you can access from Battlenet. Was quite funny to hear how they didn't expect server load for Vanilla release and the AQ gate event.

I watched the doc and oh the memories of the AQ event. I actually called out sick the next day because it wasn't until 2 am EST before Lothar opened it and I didn't want to miss it. Man their NOC is really cool. And the fact that they actually showed that devs were watching raids was even cooler. The comments made that the players didn't know the mechanics were just awesome.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')