World Of Warcraft

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: World Of Warcraft

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:35 am

We finally got paragons down this week, and are now butting heads with garrosh. We are getting to phase 2 now most times, but getting forward is goign to take some more practice and wipes. We are also one tanking it for the extra dps, but we got to get some peopel some more gear to get their dps up enough to get further. I will be happy when we see him dead...its been a long run with pretty much only around 3 people from our original group still in the raid, so massive turnover and regears really punished us.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am

Working on my legendary cape; Marshal Twinbraid crushed me when I tried to solo him. I'll try again when a friend gets to this level of the cape quest next week.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:14 am

Yeah you can not solo him, need at least one other person to do it.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:49 pm

So did anyone see the new 10th anniversary event stuff? They are going to have a 100 vs 100 Tarren mill vs Southshore BG with the old honor system along with a 40 man lvl 90 lfr version of molten core. Lots of cool stuff to look forward too alogn with the 8/13/14 launch date :D
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Looks like denial of service attacks again are affecting Battle.net.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:Looks like denial of service attacks again are affecting Battle.net.

Not just Battle.net but PSN, Path of Exile, & League of Legends.

So I have been following WoD discussions and news closely lately and I am concerned. On one hand they have stated the Rep grinds ala MoP were not going to be in WoD. And that Garrisions would do the work for you. Next is the news that they are getting rid of Valor and Justice and going back to Gold as a main currency. I am concerned with this. As someone who used to HC raid and did so for years I just dont have the time to farm as much. That being said, I have always been a self sufficient raider. buying or farming for raid mats; flasks, pots, etc. Back in vanilla I lived on about 100 gold week to week before there were things like dailies. Farm the hard way. Dailies made it easy in BC, WotLK, and MoP but still I don't have a surplus on Gold. I have around 75K total and hover around that week by week.

By returning back to Gold standard it seems to me that the gold farmers are going to win and its going to push more people to buy gold. It also puts a majority of the playerbase at a disadvantage when the majority also doesnt have a surplus.

There are many other questions that arise by this announcement, like are we going to see larger sums that drop from bosses or even quest completions? Wouldn't the influx of more gold cause inflation in the AH at 2x or 4x?

Other MMO's (like Wildstar) make it so that money is easy to come by and their AH's reflect as such. But trying to monkey with an established economy is going to cause a lot of issues.

As for Garrisons, I like how they work for you offline doing "chores" for all different kinds of things. Its not as bad as it seems when tied to leveling but it is a money/time sink. It's the MoP farm times 100. So I am on the fence about Garrisons. (BTW....yeah I've been doing beta)

Lastly for the first time in my MMO history I will be playing a non-melee class. I've always played melee even in the early days of Everquest. I've decided that for once I will make a caster my main. This should be fun.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 am

tanker27 wrote:So I have been following WoD discussions and news closely lately and I am concerned. On one hand they have stated the Rep grinds ala MoP were not going to be in WoD. And that Garrisions would do the work for you. Next is the news that they are getting rid of Valor and Justice and going back to Gold as a main currency. I am concerned with this. As someone who used to HC raid and did so for years I just dont have the time to farm as much.

By returning back to Gold standard it seems to me that the gold farmers are going to win and its going to push more people to buy gold.

There are many other questions that arise by this announcement, like are we going to see larger sums that drop from bosses or even quest completions? Wouldn't the influx of more gold cause inflation in the AH at 2x or 4x?
I am shocked by this. Is it more "pay to play" from Activision? Like they have attempted with the D3 RMAH and Hearthstone to some extent. I thought the point of Valor was that you did the content, not buy your way to epics.

Yes, they often had BoE epics but they were pretty rare and not as good as the earnable stuff (esp. at the end of a cycle).
This seems like a major shift to a new direction.

tanker27 wrote:As for Garrisons, I like how they work for you offline doing "chores" for all different kinds of things. Its not as bad as it seems when tied to leveling but it is a money/time sink. It's the MoP farm times 100. So I am on the fence about Garrisons. (BTW....yeah I've been doing beta)
It seems interesting to me. I like offline stuff, like the Eve Online skill system. Is it tedious to set up your offline quests? I got pretty annoyed with the farm after a while.

I do enjoy having lackeys...more of that sounds good to me. Like the Argent Squire, the cooking helper, Blingtron, etc.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 am

The 10th anniversary looks like lots of fun.

I'm also concerned about Justice/Valor, though. I know that they're supposed to buff the gold drop to compensate, but tanker is correct in pointing out that it will either favor people who have a handle on the economy (with millions of gold in the bank), or gear will be so cheap that it would be trivial farming up the gold to buy it.

I suppose it does somewhat depend on what happens with raiding. I'm assuming that gold gear is going to be LFR quality or lower, so then gold gear could be easy to farm, but you'd still need to grind LFR and/or Normal to get the gear for heroic, and once you have heroic gear, you can move on to mystic (mythic? whatever they're calling it...).

Of course, then there's the question of valor upgrades introduced in MoP. Are those going to be gold based? Will valor stick around so you can upgrade your existing gear? Or will Blizzard just ditch that, too, leaving players to farm the -forged gear with extra stats, gem slots, whatever?

As for Garrisons, I should look into it more, but it might be nice for it to be an upgraded form of Sunsong Ranch. I liked how I could pretty easily farm some mats for my daily profession CDs (across several toons), and centralizing a daily rep grind would probably improve my quality of life.

At any rate, there are a lot of new systems that are going to be interacting when Warlords releases. Hopefully they work well, or at least well enough to keep people playing for now.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:15 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:I am shocked by this. Is it more "pay to play" from Activision? Like they have attempted with the D3 RMAH and Hearthstone to some extent. I thought the point of Valor was that you did the content, not buy your way to epics.

Yes, they often had BoE epics but they were pretty rare and not as good as the earnable stuff (esp. at the end of a cycle).
This seems like a major shift to a new direction.
Hold up. RMAH was a Blizzard idea, I think, and it wasn't necessarily a bad one, but it didn't work out. Actually, if someone could have made money playing video games, it would have been quite interesting. The big problem, I think, was that the loot and core gameplay suffered as a result, so no one wanted to play D3 to begin with, let alone make money.

Hearthstone offers straightforward ways to get everything you want without paying, so I can't fault them there (I'm just not a fan of the game). They seem to be following a pretty good plan on Heroes of the Storm as well (I'm just not that enthused by that, either*).

As for Valor, the original intent was to be a consolation prize because RNG can seem really unfair. It offered a way for players to at least make some progress while waiting for that elusive drop. I think the greater charms helped this out quite a bit, allowing players up to 10 extra "rolls" per week, and adding personal loot rolls in LFR/Flex helps even more. Actually, now that I think about it, there isn't much of a point to valor any more. Most Warlords gear is going to adapt to spec, so you'll only need special loot for a few item slots...so now I'm really curious about gold gear. Why have it at all?

*Tangent about Heroes of the Storm: I like a lot of the things going on with hero abilities, but the maps feel...lame compared to Summoner's Rift. Interesting? Sure, but they could use a lot of work.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:17 pm

So many neat things coming down the pipe for the WoW world! I haven't played since 2008 when I was in a long distance relationship with my then-girlfriend now-wife. She said those blank phone calls with me were the closest she came to calling it quits! Not really an issue of priority (well, maybe a bit), but more the immediacy of where I was and where she was.

Anyways, we saw the trailer the other day together and I joking told her I was thinking about starting back up with the new expansion (as she nursed our month old little girl). She told me she would likely kill me if I did :lol: .

I'm probably not going to pick it back up at all, but if you guys who still play could go to any MMORPG out there now and be at the same competitive level that you are in WoW, would you pick WoW again or another game?
njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 am

Got my orange cloak (quite late to that party). Now I'm working on the Royal Satchel recipe just for something to do.

Wizard needs expansion badly!
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 pm

njenabnit wrote:I'm probably not going to pick it back up at all, but if you guys who still play could go to any MMORPG out there now and be at the same competitive level that you are in WoW, would you pick WoW again or another game?

Competitive is subjective. I now have a kid and my game time revolves around a schedule with the wife. And I found a guild that fits set schedule. We are 14/14H just finished a couple months ago, and while not bleeding edge of the race we still get it done. In fact we dont even call ourselves Hardcore, our raid schedule is 2 nights a week from 7EST-10. We just focus on what needs to be done.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Previous

Return to Gaming