Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Games like Grim Fandango

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am

So, both my wife and I loved Grim Fandango. Of course, I like other game types as well. Unfortunately, she does not share my enthusiasm of pancaking other players with a manta :cry:

So I was wondering if there are any other old or new games similar to Grim Fandango that I can purchase. I would like for her to get more into gaming. I must also state that she did like NOLF 1 a lot and played half way through, I think.

Any suggestions?

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:35 am

Grab Full Throttle and The Dig and DOSBox 'em!

I miss GF. Such an underrated game.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:45 am

Well I managed to track down Full Throttle on Amazon, but no luck on the other game.

Incidentally, what does DOSBox mean? You mean playing the game via a command DOS prompt?

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:50 am

Gandhi wrote:
Well I managed to track down Full Throttle on Amazon, but no luck on the other game.

Incidentally, what does DOSBox mean? You mean playing the game via a command DOS prompt?

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Full DOS environment emulation. Can be a resource hog (amazingly), but configurable by an easy-to-edit config file and runs everything I've thrown at it.

DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...
Last edited by emkubed on Tue May 10, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Damn I miss that game.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Dizik wrote:
Damn I miss that game.

Then feast your brain on THIS!

Manny Calavera wrote:
You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:50 pm

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:52 pm

The Longest Journey was an excellent adventure game. She may like that too.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:01 pm

VTNC wrote:
www.scummvm.org

Yes. Scumm VM is the shizzle for Lucas Arts adventure games.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:49 pm

It's funny you mention this today. I just grabbed a demo today for a game called Psychonauts. The little snipet over at GameSpot describes it as "like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle". It's not from Lucasfarts tho. Getting ready to install it and try it out, I'll let you know what I think. If you want to grab it yourself, head over here to FileRush and try it out.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

meanfriend
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 pm

emkubed wrote:
VTNC wrote:
www.scummvm.org

Yes. Scumm VM is the shizzle for Lucas Arts adventure games.

Scummvm is indeed great, but does not support Grim Fandango. GF is not a scumm engine game.

kvndoom

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:46 pm

Jebus wrote:
It's funny you mention this today. I just grabbed a demo today for a game called Psychonauts. The little snipet over at GameSpot describes it as "like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle". It's not from Lucasfarts tho. Getting ready to install it and try it out, I'll let you know what I think. If you want to grab it yourself, head over here to FileRush and try it out.

It's not from LucasArts, but it IS from Tim Schafer, who created GF and FT and many of Lucas' other classic adventures.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Juic3
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Full Throttle and The Day of the Tentacle, wait the Larry series was also good but maybe just for the male audience, dunno about the wife.

meanfriend
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:51 pm

To the OP, you mention that your wife liked GF and NOLF, which are two completely different styles of play (obviously) but both feature pretty good storylines and voiceacting. Along those lines I'd recommend:

Sam N Max
Curse of Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
System Shock
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid (The PS version is perfection, dont know about the PC port)
Splinter Cell
Max Payne

Some of these might be hard to find because they are quite old. Sadly, graphical adventures are pretty much a dead genre nowadays, with a few excpetions like Syberia and Longest Journey which are apparently quite good.

Rookie
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:57 pm

You should have her try MYST. It is an old game, and you could probably pick it up for a few bucks at a used game store. MYST is a great puzzle RPG type game that women seem to love. I remember my mother used to ask me for hints about this game all the time. The only problem is that it is not a multiplayer game, so you can't play together, but at least she will get more into computer games right? :wink:

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I tried to get her in to the Myst series - even purchased the special edition that hass all the sequesl - but she did not like it. She did not like the Longest Journey either.

AS for other games like System Shock and Deus Ex, I do not think she will like those - interface is a bit complicated for her to get in to it.

But I will try out the Scumm and Dosbox ideas for some of my classic games.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Sam and Max rules!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:44 am

Monkey Island
The DIG

Then you also have all the Sierra games like Space Quest and Kings Quest series.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:57 am

Get her to pick up NOLF again, then have her try NOLF 2...

Otherwise Psychonauts might be good...

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Ok, I been tryin to play Psychonauts, and I can't stand the controls. The mouse is inverted and I can't find a choice to make it otherwise. I guess in a very very small way it's similar to the Lucasarts games, but it's much more a platformer. It could be a great platformer too, if I could change my controls to my liking.

You might still try it out.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Crayon Shin Chan

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:23 pm

Only one post mentioned Monkey Island so far! What is wrong with you twerps!
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Actually, there were two posts, where the first named it with the full name, "curse of monkey island", and i only named in monkey island. :P

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
Only one post mentioned Monkey Island so far! What is wrong with you twerps!

Monkey Island was good, but I'd rather play:

1) Full Throttle
2) Sam n Max
3) Day of the Tenticle
4) Grim Fandango
....then Monkey Island :P

And does anyone remember the Kyrandia series? It was pretty rockin too.

- Comic Book Guy

Beelzebozo
Gerbil

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:48 am

I would recommend Day of the Tentacle, Sam n Max and especially the first two Monkey Island games. I get a warm feeling inside just thinking about those games... :)

She will definetly like those. :wink:

dougjustdoug
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:50 am

It's all about space quest! The space quest adventure games were quirky, fun and sometimes pretty challenging. Although the undisputed king by far is monkey island and monkey island 2. "They call me Cap'n Loogie"!

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:26 pm

I placed an order for Psychonauts from EBGames. At $29.99, with $10 in-store rebate, I thought it was a good deal.

Thanks all for thier tips! :wink:

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Gandhi wrote:
I placed an order for Psychonauts from EBGames. At $29.99, with $10 in-store rebate, I thought it was a good deal.

Thanks all for thier tips! :wink:

Awesome, let us know how it is.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2005 4:11 pm

Got the game for the PC. It is addicitive!!! In terms of gameplay, it is almost exactly like the game Beyond Good and Evil, so if you loved that game, you will like this one.

The best thing about this game is that the environments and characters are so lovingly created. Sure it does not have the high-zoot graphics of Doom 3 or Half Life 2, but it has more personality then both those games combined (yes, even Half Life 2).

I highly recommend this game. It has some platform elements, but that is really not the point of the game. It is more about exploration and puzzle solving. And the sense of humor comes through time and again.

About half way through the game now, and the best level so far is **spoiler** where you become Goggolor. The developers make fun of every Godzilla cliche used in moveis so far and take it up another level.

ANd yes, my wife likes the game a lot. But since it is a platformer, and we have a keyboard and mouse, she gets a bit frustrated by the controls and has not progressed as far as I have. There is probably about 20-25 hours of gameplay, if you choose to solve all the puzzles and not just run through.

Buy this game if for no other reason then to support developers who have the guts to produce something unique and interesting, rather than churning out sequel after sequel for the same tired IP. Picked it up from EBGames for $35, with a $10 in-store coupon. No complaints from me.

Beelzebozo
Gerbil

Wed May 11, 2005 3:20 am

Best part of Psychonauts is the humour. :D

Every time you free some 'emotional baggage', it brings a smile on my face. :)

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 11, 2005 7:04 pm

I'd love to play this game, but like I said earlier, I really disliked the controls. If I could personalize them more, it would be awesome. Looks great tho.

- Comic Book Guy