Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

deedude
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

CS - Why is it still popular?

Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:16 pm

Without doubt, nearly everyone has played CS. But its obviously showing its age. So, why is it still popular given all the rampant cheating and the immaturity of the community. Personaly, I picked it up around Beta 4 and played all the way to 1.2. I still think Beta 5.2 r0x0r :D but i digress. what makes CS, or any game for that matter, so popular?

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:49 pm

I attempted to play it ONCE, but couldn't connect to a server at the time (and I was still on a dial-up). I wasn't much into multi-player at the time, so that may have been my reason for not playing it. I still play Q3A (good
Q3A servers on http://www.overdrivepc.com) and occasionally UT, but that's as far as my multi-player game playing goes these days. Give me a good single-player FPS or RPG (Morrowind) and that's all I need.

CS? What the hell is that? :wink:

Aa !2MC
Gerbil

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:16 pm

hmmmm,i think its half-lifes gaming engine, it just feels alot more concrete/realistic than some of the new ones like MOH, also its an older engine so more graphic cards support it so more people can play it (it runs perfict on my brothers 300mhz 128, what the hells up with that?)

malicious
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:30 pm

My buds and I like it because it's dirt simple and has just enough "realism" to feel somewhat authentic but not cumbersome. The fact that it runs on just about any decent computer helps too for people like me with older machines. New games like SOF2 and BF 1942 look interesting but out of the question until I get a faster computer.

There's cheating online but probably not as much people think. When I used to play UT online, it had the same problem but it was overblown there too. From my own experience, alleged cheating is mostly accusations from newbies or sore losers after getting whacked by the same good player repeatedly. Heck, even I have been accused of cheating before and anyone who has seen me play would know what a laughable notion that is.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:45 pm

well just for the record i just got done playing about 45 mins of cs, and ya my machine chugs aways on the half life engine quite nicely

as for cheating i think it's pretty much been nulified least on the servers i play

i really like the one which keep rank which you can see it as more of a long term compatetion (damn my spelling :evil: ) that and well to some extent for my self anyways i'm a lazy @$$ and don't want to learn a new game, also just knowing you are playing with other people is cool to me not just some computer...heck i still pull out some starcraf now again, usually something like 6k users just playing starcraft yet

and if ya want some more pretty looking guys you can always get a mod

Hockster
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:55 pm

This may sound stupid but I bought the Half-Life Generation; which includes all the Half-Life games inclusing Counter-Strike. And I haven't even played it yet, lol - I probably will never play it; not that the games are rubbish, because I know they aren't, but because I never seem to have the time, as I'm always playing other ones.
Windows XP | Pentium 4 2.53GHz | 512MB PC800 RDRAM | 120GB Hard Drive | GeForce4 Ti 4600 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card | Altec Lansing ADA885 Speakers | 3Com 10/100 NIC | 18” Monitor | 3DMark2001SE=12613

Tarkin
Gerbil

Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:51 pm

CounterGay sucks, I've tried at least 5 different revs over the years and I just can't get into it. The models are absolutely HORRENDOUS. I really cannot stand looking at this mod, It just looks so cheap and all the character models look like they've had every bone in their body broken. I really wanted to like this game but it offers nothing for me. CounterGay also seems to have a disproportionate amount of ub3r ghey l337 @ssw!pes out there that talk ****, and talk like ****...

I don't think it's truly that popular a game, I think the other poster got it correct that it's popularity is due to it being so old and able to work on old POS computers. Were talking about the Quake engine here, how old is that?

Later
Tarkin

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:36 pm

Actually the Quake II engine, with a few modifications from Valve I think..

When talking about Q2 engine.. There are only 2 games that I seriously been playing on the Internet - Quake II CTF and CS. It might not be the nicest looking games, but they do have a good (nah, perfect!) 'feeling' to them. Which I think Quake 3 does not. Hell, I even find Quake I more fun to play then Q3. Sure, Q3 looks better and all, but IMHO it is missing something..

:)
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

Tarkin
Gerbil

Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:51 pm

no, common misconception... It was originally based on Quake, not II... they threw in their own hacks to get Direct3D working, and eventually had some QII code in their..

At this stage of the game more code is Valve code than Id code...

http://www.game-revolution.com/games/pc ... f-life.htm

I've even seen quotes direct from Erik Johnson stating it was Quake not Q2. I would hope he'd have a clue what game engine it was based on.

later
Tarkin

element

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:09 pm

Nah, it's popular because:
1: it's easy to play and slow as hell (movement is slow, no strafe jumps, etc...)
2: it has lotsa cheats and hacks (in the past more than now)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

fc34

Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:55 pm

Not all the newest games are the best. Some of the most played games like SC and CS and DOOM and QUAKE are ages old.

Personally, I like the half-life engine more than most others. I think that it is one of the best FPS engines that has come out.

I'm sticking to playing it for sometime more until something else worth my money comes out.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

jesta1215
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:23 pm

ok first of all, countergay? LOL moron, thats all i have to say

I still play counterstrike, and I will tell you why:
It takes SKILL to get good at it. Yes there are cheaters, but most servers are pretty good at preventing it now. Yes there are lamers, but you have them in EVERY game, you just have to learn to ignore them.

I play unreal 2003 also, but I tire quickly of that game because of all the grenade spamming, rocket spamming, n00bs running around holding down fire.....it gets to the point where I just quit and go back to cs, because there is no splash damage (except he grens), there really arent that many accidental kills.....you actually have to AIM! *gasp* GOD FORBID! and a headshot kills you?! oh my lord, realism?! *gasp*

it takes skill to get a headshot, and you pay for rushing into an enemy territory, AND you have to sit out the rest of the round, I like that.

and true, there are those awp camping lpbs who will kill you all the time, but I've seen very skilled mp5 users snipe awp'ers from full screen. It just depends on how good you are. Practice makes perfect.

If you don't like cs, then cs don't like you. Dont play it. Go back to your quake2 grenade spamming. :D

Polare
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:31 pm

First of all, anyone calling a product "CounterGay" automatically makes their opinion pretty worthless. Just like I would ignore someone who spouts about the "Itanic" I ignore someone who calls it "CounterGay". Hint: If you want to present your opinion, try not to look TOO obviously biased and foolish.

I still play CS after 2+ years for several reasons. One, the server I play on has built up a community that I never felt in any other online games. There are people who I have regularly teamed up with and against for years now, and the sense of community adds a LOT to the game.

Two, the gameplay is fun. Anyone who cares more about graphics than gameplay is kind of missing the point of playing games. I still love playing my old DOS games with great gameplay; why should I stop playing CS just because its graphics are no longer up to par?

Three, as a strictly team-oriented game it becomes much more compelling for a lot of people than any deathmatch game could be. At a competitive level, it requires reflexes, intelligence, and communication/teamwork in equal amounts. Deathmatch games do not require two of these three elements. There's a lot of people out there who appreciate that more than simple reflexes are required to excel in CS. It levels the playing field and allows many more to get in who don't have the reflexes to play some FPS'.

On a well-admined server, you pretty much never see cheaters anymore. On a well-admined long-term server, you get a powerful sense of community and friendship.

These elements just seem to be lacking in many newer games. I don't see the community, the gameplay, or the communication skills in other games. BF1942 is probably the closest, but its community is not shaping up as well as CS' has. It's young though so who knows.

-Polare

David

Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:52 pm

Polare covered everything I was gonna say. :D

The biggest things: It's fun and it's simple, but requires a certain amount of intelligence to be any good.

And, seriously Tarkin...try to show some maturity. :-?
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

deedude
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:30 pm

Well, I can see what you're talking about. Honestly, I quit CS because it got boring (and the clan i was in broke up) and moved on to T2. Though, i may end up taking CS back up. Keep the comments going guys =)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:52 pm

I dont play CS anymore.... but thats just because i dont have any time. And the fact there isnt any decent server with a good community closer then half a world away or something.

What i did before was AQ2-TP (Action Quake 2 mod, teamplay) Faster then CS, as in furious as a fast paced quake game, but with realistic damage and a few great tweaks, like the fact that the sawed off double barrel shotgun could shoot someone over the whole level. Of course it did nothing at more then 2 meters but........
And the community was great, you were actually required to have a brain to even get it running, compared to CS, where there are far more idiots and lamers. But at the same time it wasnt as accessible as CS so i dont really wonder why it died out.

Ahh... i sure miss those days.

What made CS great was probably a few good reasons. Its very easy to learn, its accessible for just about everyone, and it has a tempered sense of realism, not to realistic, but not too unrealistic either. I mean, delta force, flashpoint and other military and swat games can take realism a bit too far. And many dont have the patience for it.

deedude
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:06 pm

exactaly.

real CT vs T situations would have hours of negotiations, etc instead of the poliece running in with guns and stuff. "real" terrorists would kill the hostages

i suppose that is what made CS fun though.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:42 am

i dont know why it's so popular still today. I guess it just has a high fun factor even though it lacks on the realism area. I liked playing rogue spear on the net (when there was a good host) becasue it could be just as fun with the realism feel when things were running smoooooooth.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:11 am

Its not always about the glitz & glamor to a gamer, sometimes, you just play the game because it is truly fun.
Twitter: @xmunos

Loops
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:20 am

exactly

F U N!

who cares if its not realistic, as long as its fun then people will play it.