Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Team fortress 2 (ITS LIVE)

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:37 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
TF2 + Gary's Mod = Win.
Hot damn, my new background image just appeared to me!
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Darkmage wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
TF2 + Gary's Mod = Win.
Hot damn, my new background image just appeared to me!
The scout facing a zillion sentries and the engineer looking at the gnome in page 2 is pure awesomeness.

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Re:

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Pongo wrote:
Or, if you are working with someone else, I.E. over teamspeak, you can coordinate one person as a spy, and a you or a few others as soldiers.

I’m a noob so bear with me… love TF2!!…I have a headset with a mic and downloaded and installed Teamspeak 2… now how do I find the server to connect to for chatting during a game?

I’ve seen the server address for the server’s website on TF2 but that’s it… are the people chatting during the game already setup on from their forums and using a password to talk? Hoping I’m not being too confusing…
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:27 pm

In-game chat is exactly what the name implies, specifically in-game, not using Teamspeak or anything of the sort. Just press V (or B?) to talk. Be sure to check if you're talking only to your team, in some servers the voice chat is automatically for everyone.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:17 pm

In FPS games, I tend to use the in game chat rather than using other software.

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 pm

morphine wrote:
In-game chat is exactly what the name implies, specifically in-game, not using Teamspeak or anything of the sort. Just press V (or B?) to talk. Be sure to check if you're talking only to your team, in some servers the voice chat is automatically for everyone.

Thanks guys.... I'll have to try that out!!!
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:47 am

I was disconnected from some Singapore servers in the midst of a gaming session a couple of times because my ping was too high(180 is the limit on those servers I think).
Just for fun, I tried connecting to the US server I used to play on (I was getting a 300+ ping) and surprisingly, I was able to play without any problems or any disconnects for over an hour. Maybe the server doesn't have any ping limit but the experience was very smooth for such a high ping.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 am

b_naresh wrote:
I was disconnected from some Singapore servers in the midst of a gaming session a couple of times because my ping was too high(180 is the limit on those servers I think).
Just for fun, I tried connecting to the US server I used to play on (I was getting a 300+ ping) and surprisingly, I was able to play without any problems or any disconnects for over an hour. Maybe the server doesn't have any ping limit but the experience was very smooth for such a high ping.

*retches*
300 ping in TF2? You've got to be joking. People start jumping around on the map at 150!
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 am

SNM wrote:
b_naresh wrote:

*retches*
300 ping in TF2? You've got to be joking. People start jumping around on the map at 150!

Exactly! I was surprised that I could play the game without too much lag at such a high ping!

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 am

90-100 ping is where the aim starts going way off and when you dodge stuff and it hits you anyway. I personally can't play TF2 with anything above 90. Well ok, if I'm playing medic or engy (and possibly spy, which I don't play), maybe it won't make that much of a difference, but anything else becomes unbearable.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 am

I really want to get into this game. What's the most noob-friendly way to learn how to play? Maybe I'm blind / ignorant, but I haven't seen any kind of tutorial or training resource.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 am

kvndoom wrote:
I really want to get into this game. What's the most noob-friendly way to learn how to play? Maybe I'm blind / ignorant, but I haven't seen any kind of tutorial or training resource.

Theres a few newbie friendly servers in the server list. Look for the ones that have "beginners" in it. The people who play aren't worried too much about winning but learning classes.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Does anybody know what is meant by "Dramatic reduction in teleporters needed" means in the latest update?

Other comments about the update...Seeing as how like playing engineer, I liked being able to destroy sapped buildings if I couldn't get back to them in time. Not sure about the ammo reduction to soldier and demoman.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 pm

That "reduction in teleporters" is a joke. They installed (FINALLY!) some sort of voice command spam protection, because a considerable number of jackasses spent whole games going "Build a teleporter here!" or "We need a dispenser here!".

Also, I think a severe reduction or elimination of random criticals would be more effective in balancing the classes than reducing the ammo, at least in such a harsh way.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:11 pm

morphine wrote:
That "reduction in teleporters" is a joke. They installed (FINALLY!) some sort of voice command spam protection, because a considerable number of jackasses spent whole games going "Build a teleporter here!" or "We need a dispenser here!".

Also, I think a severe reduction or elimination of random criticals would be more effective in balancing the classes than reducing the ammo, at least in such a harsh way.

Ah, that makes more sense now. I never really had to deal with the build teleporter spam. I always hear people spamming "Medic!".... :x

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:56 pm

What do yall think of the new Badlands map? I tried it but there wasn't that many people on so it felt like everyone was lost-trying to look for each other :D

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I didn't like Badlands at first, but now I think it's great. A very balanced map, and very punishing if your team doesn't know how to build a proper defense.

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 pm

morphine wrote:
I didn't like Badlands at first, but now I think it's great. A very balanced map, and very punishing if your team doesn't know how to build a proper defense.

I mostly go on US servers with lat. under 100 and been noticing that 2Fort used to be popular but now everyone is migrating to Dustbowl… just wondering if Badlands was going to be the new map that everyone migrates to :lol: I never really played Dustbowl unless it just so happen to be in the rotation, but after playing it alot, I actually like it more than 2Fort 8)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:15 am

There's a spy around here! That Demoman is a Spy! That Pyro is a spy! SPY!

arrrrrrggggggg I suck. I give up. You other spies that make it look easy I bow before your Spyfu it is great.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:19 am

tanker27 wrote:
arrrrrrggggggg I suck. I give up. You other spies that make it look easy I bow before your Spyfu it is great.

Spying takes a lot of practice. I used to die before I got anything done -- these days I only die after I kill somebody or run straight in the wrong direction. :lol:
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:32 pm

The biggest issue; cloaking, when to use it where to hide afterward and where to hide while your cloak regens.

I find that the regen on the cloak is stupidly slow.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:11 pm

tanker27 wrote:
The biggest issue; cloaking, when to use it where to hide afterward and where to hide while your cloak regens.

I find that the regen on the cloak is stupidly slow.

Yeah, and at least as far as I'm concerned, it's fine the way it is. It's bad enough for the other people that a spy can just right-click and become damn invisible. The good ones do that after being spotted, turn around a corner and *poof*, gone.

And what I *really* hate about the cloak is how the spy only becomes ever so slightly visible when being hit, and vanishes again right after a split-second.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:48 pm

If we are complaining about spies....Could they limit the number of sappers (like 10) a spy has so they can't just continually sap sentries as fast as they are knocked off?

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 pm

I wasn't complaining about spies, just pointing out several reasons why the cloak refill time should *not* be increased. I'd go with limiting the number of sappers, though.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:56 am

Soooo... I'm Cheev-whoring, and I need the two achievements that involve Steam Friends (Friends like These and Family Practice).

I have the TR group in my list, when are we going to get a big all-TR night going and stack up some unsuspecting server?
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:59 am

apkellogg wrote:
If we are complaining about spies....Could they limit the number of sappers (like 10) a spy has so they can't just continually sap sentries as fast as they are knocked off?

Better idea: Infinite sappers, but limit the deployment rate. You can chuck out 4-5 in rapid order, like now, but then you have to recharge for 5-10 seconds or so before you can do it again. If you only chuck one at a time, you can go all night.

Valve doesn't want TF2 to get *really* balanced, though. They modified the game to exaggerate OMFG moments, so they need to keep a few things at the edge of almost-too-much so the exaggerator logic can sploit with it.

Also something for you guys to picture: Last week I was a Spy, on Hydro. A Blu Spy was I.

I dressed up as a Red Spy, and hid somewhere near our (Blu) capture point. After a suitably chaotic attack, I yelled for a Medic and charged my own point. Obligingly, the Red Medic I had spotted charged out and healed me as I ran for the capture.

As we got to the cap, a bunch of Blu guys charged!
The medic Ubered!
He turned metallic red, I turned metallic blu, his pants filled!

It was a very good day. I wish I had a demo of it to share.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 am

Forge wrote:
Also something for you guys to picture: Last week I was a Spy, on Hydro. A Blu Spy was I.

I dressed up as a Red Spy, and hid somewhere near our (Blu) capture point. After a suitably chaotic attack, I yelled for a Medic and charged my own point. Obligingly, the Red Medic I had spotted charged out and healed me as I ran for the capture.

As we got to the cap, a bunch of Blu guys charged!
The medic Ubered!
He turned metallic red, I turned metallic blu, his pants filled!

It was a very good day. I wish I had a demo of it to share.

NICE! I still bow before you guys and your spyfu. I tinker with the spy but I end up dying more than anything else. Once in a blue moon I can get one great moment.

I can agree with Forge on the "unbalancedness" but then when I think about my favorite class, the Demoman, I weep because they took away our grenade spam. But then again I adapted and learned to use the Sticky Bomb better. The only thing I could wish for is that the Sticky bomb stuck to people. Now that would be sweet.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 am

The demoman is one of the classes that supports my theory of "there really should be class limits". Sometimes Dustbowl matches turn into "who can lob grenades faster" and the game just becomes boring as hell :(

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:07 am

I see it as a challenge. :p

Those are times where a spy can wreck havoc against a line of grenade spammers.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 am

I like Pyro even though its not a very powerful class and its usefulness is limited to maps/areas having more ambush points. I remember playing 2fort on a server which had a melee weapons only in overtime rule. Every single player spawned as a pyro and was running around with the fire-axe. It was cool! I should have taken a screenshot.
They're coming up with the Pyro achievements next and the Axe power-up should be fun. Also, I'm eager to see the "Meet The Pyro" trailer. Will it have the same muffled voice as in the game, will it turn out to be a female behind the mask as some rumours suggest?