Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Gailahan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Online Gaming

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:52 pm

Hi,
Just wondering if you'll can help me out. I am trying to play online games on a dial up connection, and I cant play without extreme lag. So much, that the game is unplayable. I thought that it could of been my old modem, so I went out and bought a new Creative modem blaster external v.92 modem. It didnt help at all. I have a p3 800mhz processor, an ati radeon 9100 64mb video card, and 640 mb sdram. I connect at 48000bps usually. Anyone know what could be causing the problem?
*edit* and no broadband is not available in my area :(

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:56 pm

you get what u pay for.......if all you can get is 56k internet, trying to play games with it is a game in itself....but like i tell others with 56k net. work with what u got....

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:57 pm

Make sure you are connecting to dial-up connection game servers. That way everyone is at about the same ping as you. Unfortunately, gaming online using a dial-up connection sucks.

Gailahan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:23 pm

"you get what u pay for.......if all you can get is 56k internet, trying to play games with it is a game in itself....but like i tell others with 56k net. work with what u got...."
Thats exactly what i'm trying to do, work with what I have! Instead of people telling me stuff like this, why dont they tell me what I can do to make it better.

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:57 pm

there isnt to much u can do...when i had 56k net, i would try to jump on low ping servers, but u cant really game with that type of internet..now you can try to play and still get some enjoyment out of it, but it still is just going to be really annoying most of the time

andurin
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:39 am

Gailahan, when I had dial up I played Daiblo II online and that was it. I didn't even bother trying to play anything else, because it would always lag out. A few things you might try, if I can think of a few:

1. Your post doesn't say anything about an OS, bt if using Win XP, download Tweak XP. You can tweak your modem to your ISP. It helped a little for me.

2. I've never tried this myself, but I've heard you can head into device manager and play around with the settings for your com port that the modem is located on. Check the advanced settings, you can maybe get a little more performance out of it from there.

3. If I'm talking out of my ass here, somebody let me know. :wink:

hejlik
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:28 pm

I used to do omline racing with dial up. I had to switch to a hardware modem, not a win modem. Do they still make these??

This was 3 years ago, and maybe technology has changed, but the hardware modem used to let me slow it down. Sound strange to slow it down, but it helpped my connection a lot.